Reviews for The Truth of Ugliness
GreyLadyBast chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
whoa! I'm...speechless. Simply speechless. This chilled me to the bone. I shall undoubtably have nightmares tonight. And that, dear author, is high praise for a fic like this.
ErinRua chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
Wow ...

Profoundly disturbing, and an artfully terrible vision of what may have been. The terse phrasing and short paragraphs wonderfully enhance the utter fragmentation of this tragic once-elf. Well done.

~ Erin
ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
A very disturbing piece indeed. It makes sense that the real corruption comes when Melkor first tricks Nellin into cooperating in his own physical and moral ruination, and is only completed when the nature of what Nellin had bound himself willingly to is revealed to him at last. Falsehoods that seemed truthful - "truths" that in the end are lies. Nellin is bound by his own confusion. Poor Elf. Poor Orc.
Enros chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
I liked this very much, most original and thought provoking. In addition beautifully and delicately written. The terrible sadness of the bewildered elf, only just learning about the world, to suffer such pain, and then to be so irredeemably turned to evil. I appreciated this story both for its content (being very fond of exploring the nature of Orcs myself) and for its presentation. Bravo!
Ainaechoiriel chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
Very disturbing, but a good story nonetheless. I particularly liked what you did with the female. I was beginning to wonder if you'd forgotten about her, but then you mention the smell and I realize that Nellin has forgotten about her. Good work. And Melkor was a cruel one, wasn't he? Making Nellin believe only to tell him much later that it was a lie.

Good work.
Finch chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
This story makes me wonder how right Tolkien was in questioning the idea of Elves-turned-into-Orcs. It takes a lot of stomach to face it and to describe it in a convincing way, but you show that it can be done. If Elves represent beauty, corrupting them isn't just making them the opposite of beautiful, but to turn the idea of beauty upside down and then deny even the truth of that. Nothing is left in the end - and that is Morgoth. Disturbing, and a daring foray into the nature of evil.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
*sharp intake of breath* I wont be able to sleep for years, and its your fault!Its..its terrible! How could you write something so disturbing and survive it? I admit that I always cringed at the rumours about Orcs being made of Elves, but this story surpassed all my fears and expectations. Oh, and when he finds at last that everything was a lie..!

"Beauty is truth."

Poor Keats.
Soledad chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
Okay, I'm shaken now. This is a wonderful story, in a deeply disturbing and depressing way - and I can buy every single word of it. I never cared for the ''Orcs beign born from the dirt''-idea. But I can easily accept your take on the topic. Of course, I agreed with you at the beginning, which helps a lot, but even if I hadn't, I would be persuaded by now.
Ellipsis chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
That as very disturbing... By far one of the most tragic peices I've ever read. The twisted logic of Melkor, Nellin's acceptance of it and then his rejection of it actually sent shivers down my spine. Ir seems like at the end, Nellin rejects Melkor and Sauron as well as rejecting his former life as an elf. Poor, por orc (possibly the first and last time I've every really sympathized with one)

*bows before WatcherChild's briliance*

- Ellipsis
Enigma Jade chapter 1 . 12/3/2002
That was absolutely incredible. I loved your take on the creation of the first orcs. . . Heartwrenching, disgusting, frighteningly believeable. Your characterizations are wonderful, and Melkor is so delightfully but subtly evil. The ending is chilling.

Amazing job! Bravo!