Reviews for Let It Ring
Guest chapter 3 . 4/19/2020
I loved it. But I would love for it to be a bit more conclusive, but I think you’re working on another N fanfic just now anyways. Separate, but just as good. So glad I found your stories!
Guest chapter 3 . 4/19/2020
Very nice!
Equitia chapter 1 . 4/17/2020
Welp, I've seen the error of my way. Thanks for showing me that N did nothing wrong. I'm ready to join the revolution. Off to protest Pokemon battles and throw molotovs through Pokeball factory windows now.

Seriously though. I had always been of the opinion that whether or not N was right depended on your interpretation of canon, but this was a very thoughtful, convincing piece of fiction. My favorite chapter was second. It really showed the strengths of your stylistic choice to make this fic mostly dialogue and the scenarios were all very thought-provoking and well done. My favorite bit was N's story about Glameow. One big problem with the games that could have cleared up whether N was wrong was that no one ever... asked Pokemon their opinions on the matter? Here, not only does it not feel like N is ignoring the people he fights for, but the Pokemon's thoughts and experiences are actually portrayed with thought and nuance. I wish this kind of thing could have been shown in the actual games, but alas, Nintendo could never go that far. At least fanfic writers have a lot less constraints.

So yeah, great story, great depiction of N, all in all very good. I can't think of any criticism, so I guess I end here. Neat fic.
imaginair chapter 3 . 2/17/2020
I love this story! It's so well-written and beautifully executed. All the arguments are point on and brilliant.

However, your last chapter... although I loved it and the writing was beautiful, I felt the approach N took was odd to say the least. I understand the shock factor he's trying to contribute, but he's not doing a good job getting his point across since anyone watching this will think he's an extremist or an idiot. It's like a man saying dog fighting is evil (which it is) and then standing out in the middle of the fight to prove his point. The only thing he's proving is that humans can get mauled by dogs, or in this case Pokemon. People don't see Pokemon the same as humans (part of the problem) and so they'll see N's actions as suicidal.

I don't mean this to be a negative review! I adore this story! There's not enough stories addressing the fighting ring and slave-master system shown in Pokemon. I loved N's calls. The last chapter was also really good with some great points especially if you look at N's perspective that Pokemon are the same as humans. I really love this story!
WildBoots chapter 3 . 2/3/2020
Wow, congrats on getting your third chapter done! I know this one was a thorn in your side for a long time. You’ve been busy!

Overall, loved this. Love the extremes N is willing to take to share his message. The dialogue is great, the stakes feel high. Loved the handling of all the trainers who make brief appearances — they feel real.

I’ve had similar thoughts about pets IRL, honestly. We definitely treat them as objects, things to reflect us or to comfort us, even as much as we love them. Even trickier in this world when the economy is built around competitive battles.

But I know someone who would agree wholeheartedly with N...

I do wonder where the champion of Unova sits in regards to N. In the games, nothing changes. Was the champion changed at all in this version of the story?

Typo in ch 2:
[This false "better" humans hold up high to congratulate themselves with]
Should be ‘better’ since the entire thing is already in double quotes.

Loved the anecdote with the feraligatr.

[When she was nine, she'd chanced passed an avalanche site where they were digging out a body. She hadn't seen much, just a human hand and the dark purple of a fleece vest, brilliant as a lost gem against the gray rocks.]
This passage is really effective.
St Elmo's Fire chapter 3 . 2/3/2020
:DDDD

[the top-ranked trainers from this years tournies]

Missing apostrophe.

[Tih-Sa Shin spent ten-years]
[Tormund made top-two]
[hosting his own radio-show]

I believe these words shouldn't be hyphenated.

I was wondering what N was going to try, but in retrospect this seems so obvious.

[It seems that the interference rules apply to attacks against enemy pokemon and improper use of healing items or moves. Using your own body to block an attack hasn't been done before, at least not in the league's recorded history, and thus isn't covered in the restrictions.]

Ah, loopholes! It is always amazing the kinds of things you can get away with because no one thought anyone would be crazy enough to try it.

['why don't you fight?"]

Missing end single quote here.

[Wigglytuff's still air-born and it almost as if]

"It's almost as if"?

[the great bird's hearts]

I believe that should be "great birds' hearts", for plural.

[The flaren dodged with difficulty]

Typo.

[squeezing so tightly she can't breath]

Typo - you want "breathe".

Hm! This wasn't as definitive of an ending as I expected, but I suppose that was always going to be tricky. Real protest and change is always slow and complex. This was still incredibly powerful. I love all the details you give of the other trainers and how they only view N as a puzzle or an obstacle, and I love the mythology references. It makes me think there are probably a lot of people who still believe in the old legends who would be swayed by N's sermons. There's hope, even if the future is still uncertain.

This was an excellent read! You did a lot of interesting and innovative things with the structure, and both N's arguments and the reactions feel so good and true to life. I've been recommending this story to a lot of people who just don't seem to get the ethical problems with sapient pokemon, and I'm sure I'll continue to do so for a good long while.
imaginair chapter 2 . 1/13/2020
This is an absolutely amazing story! I love that you're taking on the actual issue of people fighting each other with other living creatures. Especially when we look at Pokemon as sentient beings who have thoughts, feelings and desires of their own. It can also be applied to our culture for whenever we get too steeped in thinking that one way of living or being is correct while in reality life is multi faceted and only in looking through empathy and understanding others can we change that perspective. The grammar in this is amazing and I absolutely adore the themes.
St Elmo's Fire chapter 2 . 6/23/2019
Oh, this is updating again!

[it is not humans who suffer when such a fight is waged —only and ever]

You've got an extra space before the dash here.

[Kanto radio live]

Should "radio" be capitalized here, if it's the name of the station?

[are you aware of professor Rowan]

"Professor" should be capitalized here.

[Fatalities from pokemon battles have been reduced to a negligible amount.]

Oh my god. That really says it all, doesn't it?

[But with trainers Pokémon get all the food they want]

Capitalized "pokemon" here.

['You keep saying it's wrong to train pokemon.]

There's a single quote in place of a double here.

[When I realize how little barrs humans and pokemon]

Extra R here.

[their silence is like a river damned in its place]

That should be "dammed", two M's, unless you're going for a pun.

["You fucking Charlaton.]

That should be "charlatan", I think.

[You can ask her anything you'd like"]

Missing punctuation.

[We have need of both these heroes. The hero of truth must recognize the injustice of the world, and the hero of ideals must envision the new, better world that will replace it.]

That's a really interesting interpretation, and one that makes a lot of sense. There's a lot of real-world analogues in this.

This is so good! I feel so much sympathy and indignation for N. He is so calm and so patient in the face of such awfulness, but you can feel the burning hatred he's choking down with every sentence. You do such a thorough and fantastic job of covering all the typical arguments, and though the structure seems at first repetitive, every response feels unique and addresses a different angle. The one about the trainer reflecting on her abusive childhood really hit me hard. In a way, it hurts more to see that it's not black and white, that some trainers have done some good and are willing to change. Confronting your own culpability in a system of such monstrous, devouring proportions is just devastating.

Really looking forward to the finale.
The Happy Pen chapter 2 . 6/7/2019
I never thought that this would get updated.

N has always been such a unique figure to me in the oversaturated realm of Pokemon, and you captured the essence of his character perfectly. People are often afraid to delve into the problems festering beneath the glamour of pokemon battling, and even though N was designed to highlight those problems, his thought process was generally portrayed to be flawed. Here, you didn’t compromise his ideals for some forced, artificial growth that would conform to the doctrines prevalent in the Pokemon universe, but made him reflect on them and refine them. This story made it clear that just because his desire to give pokemon freedom hasn’t changed, it doesn’t make him any less of a well-developed character.

I also appreciate that you covered the realistic aspects of pokemon battling and pokemon in general. You put so much up for discussion and made it relatable for human beings, too—like with the last OC’s anecdote from this chapter.

Normally, I find the dialogue-only approach rather dull—it just seems like a lazy way to escape having to write descriptions, if you ask me—but the characters’ voices here are very vivid and engaging. It’s hard to bring that out, so kudos to you for managing it so well. Looking closely at it, this sort of narrative actually evokes the themes of this fic much more effectively than it would have if you stuck to the literary conventions anyway, so I’m enjoying it a lot.

Well, that was a long rant. I can see that this doesn’t have a ‘completed’ tag on it, so I’m looking forward to the next update!
Keleri chapter 2 . 2/18/2019
Oooh, I like this a lot; N really gets to the heart of the issue, which is that the system is broken and the individual actions of "good trainers" and pokemon who like to battle are meaningless in the face of a systemic lack of consent and freedom for pokemon.
Final Fantasy 67 chapter 1 . 1/31/2019
n Author’s PenA response to your review at r/13168394/

[Another perfect bit of misery!]

Oh dear, should I take that as a compliment?

Another reviewer was also troubled re the trainer’s license-maybe I’ll add a sentence of clarification to the story. Your last suggestion is about what I’m envisioning. Here’s my thinking:

Licenses aren’t cross regional, so to officially become a trainer in Unova (which would mean free servicing and lodging at Pokemon Centers, among other things), Moon would have to apply for a new one. However, most tournaments and scheduled events such as contests accept foreign licenses on a temporary basis, sort of like a tourist visa, on the understanding that trainers often make special trips for a particular event, without changing their region of operation. Long story short, Moon used her Alolan license for that initial tournament, but she can’t act as a Unovan trainer if she only has that.

The barrier to her getting an Unovan training license is her work — people who are “fully employed” ie working over forty hours a week — are ineligible for that variety of license under Unovan law. The assumption is that someone devoting that many hours to work cannot properly raise or train their pokemon, which is reasonable, but in practice acts as a pretty big socioeconomic barrier to training.

There’s a fic I have in the works that revolves all around problems of trainer’s licensing, and what happens to high level pokemon when their trainers decide not to go professional.

[even if that’s often little more than checking in and asking them if they want to do one thing or another.]
Yeah, she’s helpless in many ways, but she can at least show her pokemon that they matter and do small things to accommodate them.

As always, your reviews are a pleasure! The story is completed, so I’ll be updating every few days. I know you’ll obviously be busy with reviewing since it’s January, but I would really like to get your thoughts on the rest of the story. I’m happy to do the baker’s dozen review exchange thing, if you still use that.
Lewot chapter 2 . 1/6/2019
This is frighteningly relevant to real life today.
JHJSHKSDJHF chapter 1 . 1/6/2019
This is so well presented! Thanks for sharing
Poqqery chapter 1 . 12/30/2016