Reviews for Ashes, East Winds, Hope that Rises
KrnYong chapter 4 . 11/4/2012
This was beautiful! Very well done, and heartbreaking in the utter hopelessness that Éomer feels. And Èowyn as well, whose own beother does not truly understand her.
StarLight9 chapter 4 . 8/2/2010
This is one of the best pieces of fanfiction I have come upon. You have given much depth to Eomer's character. All thoughts, descriptions, actions and dialogs are believable and consistent with the original characterization, and add to it. I loved Eomer's reaction to meeting Aragorn.
Thenidiel chapter 4 . 2/9/2010
Great story - I loved the way you cut between what was written in the books and your own writing so smoothly it was as if this was an extension of Tolkien's work. Thanks for writing (and if you feel like doing any more like this, please, please pretty please feel free)!
queenieb chapter 4 . 1/19/2010
This was evocative, insightful, and beautifully written...I have never seen Eomer's voice captured so perfectly, and in a way so true to Tolkien's language and his vision. You have done him proud, I'm sure. Thank you!
yllom21 chapter 4 . 10/22/2005
Wow! Fantasitc details! Eomer is in perfect charecter as well as the other charecters! Absolutely fantastic job!
Angel chapter 3 . 4/17/2005
oh darn the kids beckon and I must follow and cannot complete this tonight...chp4 tomorrow then.

I don't really know what to say and what I may has no bearing whatsoever! There's nothing I can offer to your writing.

Goodness I hope you're nawt Bri'ish lol, because trudging through these fics I've come to the stark realisation that the English has trumps on deciphering Tolkien whereas the rest of us cling to romanticised notions and determined alternates sigh.

What I am most impressed about is the pace. Bloody terrific, where you meander through the haze and panic of the no longer growing, but awaited darkness!

The language, arrggh where do I start. I cannot mark one passage above the rest and I applaud you for its relevance and connotations!

You wouldn't be Kiwi would you? :P
RavenLady chapter 4 . 4/7/2005
I don't have quite the intellect to praise this properly, but I wanted to say something anyway. I found it very moving, an insightful look at characters we don't see enough of, and I'm impressed with the way you used the original material and turned it into something new.
Thorongirl chapter 4 . 10/20/2004
Hi. I read this a few months ago and since I started my own C2 group ("Kings, Prince and Steward") I added this to the list. Eomer is my second favorite character after Aragorn. and this was an absolutely marvelous story, lyrical in style. (By the way, I agree with you about Steve McDonald. I have two of his CDs. Wonderfully atmospheric).
Phoenix Rising chapter 1 . 10/7/2004
I too, think Eomer needs to have more flesh to the bones Tolkein laid out for him! This is very, very well done. I especially like the way you stuck to the text, not the movie!

Keep it up!
Kayden Eidyak chapter 3 . 2/28/2004
And now, for my 300th review. *drumroll* Lovely, just lovely. As usual. You know the routine, blah, blah, blah. I tell you how wonderful it is, blah, blah, blah. But, it was really good. P
Kayden Eidyak chapter 2 . 2/25/2004
Well then. I was looking at my review history today and saw that it numbered at 298. Well, I wanted to make the last two reviews to the 300 milestone count for something, so I sat and thought of who I would review. And I of course, thought of you. Funny how my explanation of giving a review is often longer than the actual review its self. But it's mostly pointless giving you an actual review because I can never think of anything to say that I haven't said 10 times over once before. It's so lovely how you've done this. Absolutely perfect. So there. My 299th review. Go me.
Kalimac chapter 1 . 2/1/2004
Well, trying to find the words to praise this masterpiece sufficiently would be a task in itself. All I can say is that reading this story was like reading a forgotten extract from the original novels. I think that even the great master, Tolkien himself, would have approved of this story, and possibly even enjoyed it.
You have captured the language and fluency of Tolkien's writing spectacularly (are you sure you were not channeling his spirit at the point?) and the canon is stunningly accurate. The descriptions are gorgeous:
"The land at least was unchanged. How I love this country of my fathers. My heart beats within its earthy breast, and my spirit soars to see the sweeping expanses of grass that ripple beneath the hand-stroke of the wind, like waves running across a golden sea. Even in the fading days of February, when spring was but a soft green blush, the long hills rose and fell before us in soft heaves of space and distance, and the great blue dome of sky arced unhindered above us. To the thunder of our hooves we flew between heaven and earth, and lacked only wings to leave mortal dust behind."
This is my favourite passage, so beautiful, strong and emotive. As a horse-lover, I cannot help but be moved by both your and Éomer's obvious love for these marvelous creatures. You manage to conjure such an atmosphere that the reader is irresistibly drawn into your words, and into the thoughts and mind of Éomer. You have obviously done a lot of character soul-searching and research to come up with such magnificent, deeply-involved writing.
I particularly enjoy Éomer's love of Aragorn, and eventual respect for Legolas and Gimli, the foreign creatures. I cannot help but beg for a sequel, about Éomer's experiences in RotK...
Thank you so much for this. It is going straight into my favourites.
Kalimac
Shakes chapter 4 . 10/31/2003
Hi there!

How could I have missed this story for so long? Your writing is so powerful and beautiful, and Eomer’s voice is so perfectly captured. I love the Rohirrim way of life you portray and see the Thre Hunters through their eyes for once. Thank you for creating something special that kept me glued to my computer (and my dictionary, to not miss a single word) for the better part of the night. :-)

Shakes
Joannawrites chapter 4 . 7/15/2003
I have to admit that I was fairly convinced that I wouldn't find another piece of writing, fan fiction or otherwise, which I thought could stand next to your "The Last Grey Ship," but I stand corrected.

Your writing, your choice of words and of images and your sense of how they should be strung together is so profound. I find myself getting chills (still, yes...i read all your stories in a state of perpetual goosebumps) reading your passages about even relatively unremarkable things. And when you turn that power into a character's deepest thoughts and fears, into describing the love for a land or a king, you really just take my breath away. Not one passage is ordinary or predictable, and I feel a sense of great contentment when I sit back after reading your stories. That's how it's supposed to be done, I think to myself, and carry around phrases and images you've given me for days.

Forgive my gushing. NEVER have I encountered such grace with a pen (well, keyboard, but you know...) but if you published novels I would stand in Harry Potter-esque lines to buy them.

Ah, and being a horse person myself, I especially enjoy the personality and the respect your words show them.

Thanks for this story. Write 1,0 more.
Alawa chapter 1 . 6/27/2003
Hi Erin, I don’t know how I managed to miss this story until now but I’m really glad I found it because it’s something special. The writing is just beautiful. Eomer’s pov is so well done that he springs off the page and with him the whole Rohirrim way of life. I loved being able to see other favourite characters and events through his eyes – it was all so well done. Thanks for making my day.
50 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »