Reviews for Cold Steel
It's-Nothing-Just-A-Wolf chapter 8 . 7/8
Hi, just letting you know I love this story. I have to admit while I thought the ending was good and clever I thought it was a bit sad as well. May I ask when this sequel will be created? Or is it going to be under a different name?
It's-Nothing-Just-A-Wolf chapter 2 . 7/7
I love this, keep going!
Emi chapter 5 . 5/13/2015
Ooh this is gettin so exciting aaah! I love this! I love love love this
Ylvina chapter 4 . 5/13/2015
I love this, i love how you portray legolas
Emi chapter 3 . 5/13/2015
Oh my gosh i love your writing stule, this fanfic is perfection! Aaah 3
anemone chapter 9 . 11/15/2013
Interesting story. I've never really understood why people do that. To me, cutting myself would only add physical pain to the psychological one
Queen of the Skye chapter 4 . 2/27/2011
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but before you write a story so very, very elven and featuring so many characters about whom there is background information, please try to READ IT. Tolkien gave us A LOT, especially about the culture of the elves-you just have to look for it. That background knowledge can be the difference between a good story and a pathetic story that is mocked by many and liked by few (not that I'm saying yours is). It is acceptable for beginning writers to fudge a bit, but you are the author of fifteen stories-the parent of fifteen children-and you want them to be well-rounded and healthy, as well as true to the canon, especially when the characters concerned are well-known. You want to make Halbarad a cutter in his youth? Fine. But don't do it to Legolas, especially when we all know that it did not and could not have happened that way.
TheFightingTemeraire chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
Oh. My. Word. I am almost speechless. Almost. Anyway, this is the stuff good fics are made of.
DreamWriter26K chapter 9 . 3/23/2007
I liked your story... I would like to send you a private email so I can tell you some of the reasons I liked it. I also have a question about the ending conversation between Elrohir and his dad. But perhaps it would be better to ask in private? Do you mind terribly?

I think you are an awesome writer and I will be checking out your other stories. Thanks for sharing this with us. It is probably one of the best I've read on self-harm. Your details are very real and very moving! I love that you had Elrohir help his friend out. It is often that those who are into something like this feel VERY ALONE. So, ashamed of it, if you will. So scared that others will find out and hate them or not want to be friends with them anymore. (I can relate.)

You are now on my favorites list. Thanks again.
FrodoSilverlune chapter 9 . 9/20/2005
*sobs* i'm going to read all the sequals.
rcaqua chapter 9 . 6/13/2005
You seem like a very good brother, but it seems completely out of character for elves to act the way they did in this story. Perhaps you could do an agsty story with one of the mortal LotR characters? Still, this was very well written, so keep writing.
Elf Cakes chapter 1 . 5/1/2005
No offense, but I just can't picture Legolas as a cutter. I really, really just can't.

For one thing, he's an Elf. Angsty Elves are few and far between. Those that are have a pretty darn good reason to be. Take Celebrian for example- kidnapped and tortured by Orcs. Most likely, she was sexually abused. This broke her, and Elrond just narrowly was able to save her. Celebrian didn't turn to self-mutilation, she was simply very sick and unable to heal. Kind of like a deep depression, except that the depression itself probably would have killed her if she hadn't gone to Valinor when she did. Grief is sort of like the Elvish equivalent of cancer. It IS possible for Elves to be depressed, but cutting probably wouldn't be of any comfort. Not to be graphic, but I've known many people who have cut, and most of them did it either for attention, or because they actually thought they wanted to die. Elves reincarnate into new bodies after death, so it really wouldn't make much sense for an Elf to even think like that at all.

For another thing the act of cutting, as far as I know, is actually fairly new phenomenon. My sister was in the hospital for cutting several months ago, and we were talking to some of the psychiatrists about it. They said cutting is a fairly "new" thing. Years ago, people resorted to various eating disorders or other addictions, but cutting itself was pretty much unheard of until a couple decades ago... being that LOTR is set thousands of years ago, it just makes me think "ok? What? Has Legolas turned into a depressed, American, teenaged girl from the year 2005?"

More notes:

-Legolas wasn't a "monarch" as you put it. He was the son of a King, but keep in mind that Elvish royalty is absolutely nothing like the royalty of western civilization over the past few thousand years. Elves didn't care much for status symbols, and because Elves were theoretically immortal, royal titles generally weren't passed on. Legolas, while known for being the son of Thranduil was really not any more special than any other Elf.

-Why would Legolas not be welcomed in his own home? Elves are loving, kind, happy-go-lucky creatures. He might not get special treatment for being the son of Thranduil, but they would probably at least say "hey, Legolas! Long time no see!" or "Nice to see you again!" Or something... It's just not in the Elvish culture to flat out ignore other Elves.

-I'm not really sure what you think the homes in Mirkwood look like, but I get the feeling they had few, if any windows at all. They lived in decorated caves underneath the forest floor.

-Elvish parents... not getting along? That is a huge oxymoron in itself. The act of sex to Elves equated marriage. To them, this was a bond that was completely unbreakable, even after death. Again, reincarnation does play a role. There are one or two notable exceptions to this rule in Tolkien's work, but otherwise, Elves were married young, and loved each other forever. Over time, they might lose physical interest in one another, or even separate for years at a time, but the thought of two married Elves not getting along at all really doesn't fit well.

-Elves never, ever had "accident" babies, so Legolas could absolutely not be an "accident". Procreation was always a compeltely conscious decision, because that was just how the Elvish baby-making process worked. The coulple would actually have to decide to make a baby before the sex could actually produce one. That said, it seems highly unlikely that the birth of Legolas would have brought suffering to so many people. The birth of new children was a big time blessing in the eyes of the Elves.

-Thoughts should always be displayed in italics. It's just the standard way of doing things.

Anyway, your grammar and spelling are all pretty good, and your descriptions aren't half bad, either. Really, you just need to do a bit of reading up on Elvish customs and culture. If you want to write angst, fine, but people would take it more seriously if you used a more appropriate character to display the feelings. I can think of countless Tolkien canon characters who could be very angsty without being compeltely out of character. Legolas is just not one of them. Alternatively, you could just turn this story into original fiction.
Gozilla chapter 9 . 5/6/2004
Wow... this is very good! Sorry I just found this. Great work! Thanks for writing! -
Nelyafinwe Feanorian chapter 6 . 2/1/2004
This is a wonderful story, but I have one problem with it - I have so far only gotten to chapter six, so if you already realized this and I just havent gotten there, I'm sorry. But masochism is defined as "sexual pleasure obtained from receiving punishment (physical or psychological)."
What Legolas does should actually be called (I'm pretty sure) Self-injury or self-mutilation. That's what my psychiatrist called it, anyway. She said that there was a difference between that and masochism, but the topic was not elaborated. I hope you take no offence to this, as it's a wonderful story, I just thought it was something you should know.
~Aki
Uncertain Hope chapter 9 . 1/28/2004
I read this story before but never got a chance to review it. This is really good, and you have done an excellent job at capturing emotions. Character developement was also done well; i've notice that a lot of people don't bother with that when it comes to fanfiction. Or, perhaps it's just difficult to develope characters that existed in someone else's mind first.