Reviews for Songs of the Cobblestones
Soooo cue.
Guest chapter 3 . 4/5/2015
Sweeet
N.Q. Wilder chapter 3 . 2/24/2015
Very nice! Your portrayal of Sera continues to be spot on and there were some nice, moving moments in this chapter. Sera is definitely the emotional heart of this story and her acts of love are the stand out parts of this chapter to me. I like how she deals with a drunk Elisabeth and then later her plan to steal her underpants to cheer her up. I also like the way you dealt with commitment at the end. Sera agreeing to marriage would be out of character (she'd have to be much older and them together a very long time before I think it would even be plausible), but she obviously still desires to have some sort of commitment. It just isn't one that other people have to recognize. I think you struck a nice balance there. The second to last line is probably one of my favorites. It says a lot in just a few words.

I will admit the one thing that threw me a little was that Elisabeth didn't notice the ring until the next morning. Several hours passed in which you'd think she'd have noticed it and she was definitely in a pretty good position to notice. It caught me off guard, but I knew you needed her not to notice it later for plot reasons.

If you feel like talking about it, I'd be curious to hear about your thought process concerning writing from Sera's point of view. She poses some interesting dilemmas regarding being true to her voice but also being clear for the reader. I think the method you chose was a good idea, and I would just be interested to hear your thoughts on how you decided to write from Sera's point of view.

Anyway, thank you for such a great story. I enjoyed reading it.

N.Q. Wilder
Tulip chapter 3 . 2/22/2015
This entire story was brilliant. Sera is actually one of my favorite characters...I believe there is so much to explore in her personality, so much to expand on. Characterization was spot on and even a little beyond(for me, at least). And I don't know what it was about that last paragraph, but it destroyed me, emotionally lol So, thank you :-)
jessclifton chapter 3 . 2/22/2015
End? Please say you'll be writing more!
mille libri chapter 3 . 2/22/2015
Gorgeous! Perfectly done, the difference between having been given it and having taken it. You may well have made me a Sera fan!
N.Q. Wilder chapter 2 . 2/22/2015
I was really impressed by this story. There's a lot here to like. First, you picked two plot lines that are inherently interesting and worth exploring. The time warp at Redcliffe is, of course, useful for revelations because we jump to a dystopian future and then get to reset it all at the end with only one character getting to keep her emotional growth. Oddly, my favorite part was actually Elisabeth killing whatshisface and then immediately going outside and puking. I thought, "Yeah, I'd probably do that too." It was refreshing to have a realistic reaction to that whole scene. It was a solid and well written chapter.

Of the two chapters, though, I especially liked the second one. I definitely agree with you that the ball at the Winter Palace is ripe for exploring Sera's insecurities about a relationship with a human noble. Given how much Sera hates lying and the deception of the nobility, I imagine that she'd be horrified at seeing the woman she thought that she knew change her entire personality at the drop of a hat. I do think you could have pushed it a tad farther, but overall I think you were spot on. Vivienne's comment, especially, was cold as ice. I was like, "Damn, Viv, go straight for the jugular why don't you?"

I think you got Sera's dialogue nearly perfect too. Not an easy feat by any measure. She's a tricky one to write for. But you captured the lightness of her speech but also the depth beneath the surface. Also you did a great job with the humor. That first scene is just hilarious. Captures Sera perfectly. And the last scene is funny, but also heartwarming. You did a really great job there.

If there's one thing I was missing, it was maybe a chapter in between about them actually starting a relationship. I was surprised in chapter 2 to go from no relationship to a definite relationship. Obviously, I've played the game so I know what happened, but I would have liked to see your take on it. Oh well, a small issue in the grand scheme of things.

I don't know if you plan to write more. If so, I'd definitely be interested to see what you come up with. If not, then I still enjoyed these two vignettes. Thanks for writing!

N.Q. Wilder
jessclifton chapter 2 . 2/16/2015
Without a doubt the best sera/sera/f!inquisitor story.
Morti chapter 2 . 2/16/2015
Oh my gosh, you GET these characterizations down to a fine point.

Seriously, I am in love with the way you make Sera come to life-her manner of speaking is a bit difficult to get used to but you manage to do it very well. And I love your Trevelyan!

The first chapter, with Sera dying, made me ache-her parting words to Elisabeth were heart breaking and remarkable. Love it!
mille libri chapter 2 . 2/15/2015
That was a freaking roller-coaster, in the best of ways. Up and down with Sera, who was so lost and confused and unsure of herself and of Elisabeth and then coasting into the end a little shell-shocked but so glad to have made it there safe and sound. Seriously, what an awesomely written chapter.
WileyWolf chapter 1 . 2/15/2015
Loved it! Can't wait to see more :)
wwoollffgirl2 chapter 1 . 2/14/2015
Cannot wait for more!
mille libri chapter 1 . 2/14/2015
Sera's not a favorite of mine, usually, but you made me like her, here, seeing behind the bravado to a softness she hides. I look forward to seeing where you take this. (Minor proofreading note: in the second line, you have "shoulder" where you want "should".)