Reviews for Magpie: One for Sorrow
DAPetty chapter 23 . 7/4/2017
This was absolutely brilliant. Stunning, really. Wow!
novelteas74 chapter 12 . 4/19/2017
It's almost strange how much I love the Sherlock TV series - instantaneous head over heels infatuation since I first watched it just a few months ago. And then to discover some of the amazing stories in the fandom. Your depiction of the relationship between Lestrade and Sherlock is quite touching, actually.

What I've found while reading your stories is how personally moved I am about the way you write Sherlock's character. As an ADHD female I've always found life to be a struggle in a way that's hard for other people to understand. Always in the classes with the best students but feeling completely out of place, having to "learn" how to react to seemingly ordinary situations, actually having to plan out conversations, overwhelmed by noise, thoughts racing in a thousand different directions, being thought of as 'weird' - the whole gamut. So - your sensitivity to that in the Sherlock character really strikes a chord with me. Thank you for that.

Awesome story, of course. I can't think of enough accolades. Wonder how the eventual John/Sherlock reunion will work out. I'm guessing there will still be some rocky moments ahead.
novelteas74 chapter 4 . 4/18/2017
You capture this all so realistically. Yes, you had me crying while John talked it out. You are certainly doing a number on our favorite duo. Another fantastic story.
Roxanne15927 chapter 23 . 5/22/2016
This was wonderful, moving, and intelligently written. The characterization of Sherlock undergoing trauma and therapy was very well done and realistic. Fantastic work!
Heather Snow chapter 23 . 5/16/2016
I liked the bulk of the story. Nice characterization, and I liked the OCs.

I did not like John's intrusion against the recommendation of everyone. From my perspective, it was unwise based on all that had gone before. It had been shown that John obviously didn't understand Sherlock's thinking exceptionally well, at least post-"sabbatical." It struck me as arrogant, which is honestly how John came across to some degree through most of the piece. I was sorry to see it resolve so smoothly, which honestly didn't seem believable to me. It just didn't seem to be to have the realism that most of your writing has. {shrug} Obviously different strokes for different folks.
lizziewoodwose chapter 9 . 4/29/2016
Brilliant!
lizziewoodwose chapter 2 . 4/29/2016
Of course he likes Corelli! Absolutely intriguing. And I love the Penhaligon - Oooh, Sherlock would like that, and the other half of him would be amused too. That kept me smirking all over lunch. Nice one, sevenpercent.
kate221b chapter 20 . 2/11/2016
Lovely twist - of course Sherlock's worst nightmares would be watching John die. Mary is beautifully penned in this scene too.
kate221b chapter 14 . 2/11/2016
Loving this - especially the Vernet. So hoping the clues in Mycrofts notebook in TAB means they're going to pick up on this part of the canon.

I think Mycrofts revelations for Sherlock might be the ones I'm looking forward to most!
KathyG chapter 22 . 12/22/2015
Could you write a follow-up story about John receiving EMDR therapy from Miss Goodliffe? Please do; I would so love to read it!
They-Want-Me-To-Tap-Dance chapter 23 . 6/7/2015
Addicted? Very much so.
SailOnSilvergirl chapter 23 . 6/6/2015
"What's changed" "Everything." Perfect wrap-up to this story of angst and a testament to coming out the other side more whole and healthy. You've done it in a lovely way, not hammering the points home, but by subtle phrasing and dialogue (e.g., "Almost instantly there was a firm "Yes."). And your usual attention to detail (e.g., the Serbian hat).

I had to chuckle at the idea of Sherlock's idea of a stroll was over 20 miles. I agree with Diane - I wouldn't want to walk that.

Insightful of her to realise that he wanted to make that final part of the walk alone. Wise of her, too, to know that she didn't know him well enough to know if she was being played. Kudos to Sherlock here for his honesty. He's so forthcoming, and I don't think we're being played.

Expanding on that quote about John above, the paragraph where Sherlock describes in more detail what's changed is gorgeous without being mawkish: "...the best thing in my life survived somehow..."

Not sure it was intentional, but Diane describing John as "incendiary" reminded me of Sherlock describing him as a "conductor of light." I like that she apologised about John's presence. I should have known that good ol' Lestrade would know the key for getting through to Sherlock. How could I have forgotten that John was his "item" he recommended.

Lyrical descriptions are lovely. The swans was my favorite. Such beautiful animals, but I don't blame Sherlock for giving them a wide berth. Your descriptions are so vivid, I felt like I was walking the entire time with him.

Oh, Mycroft, always getting the upper hand on your "stupid one" brother. Ha! Shoulda known. Christmas Day, having a cigarette...a nice foreshadowing of the next year's Christmas, with Mrs Walter's reaction to the mud a parallel to Mrs Holmes' scolding of her boys sneaking their cigarettes.

This conversation between the brothers is so pitch perfect, the "sentiment" left mostly unsaid but running through it nonetheless. "Welcome home, Sherlock." Indeed.

Everything you've written here has perfectly placed Sherlock/John and Sherlock/Mycroft in position for how they behave towards each other in season three.

"...believing that I can hope again." Well said. Hope. It's what keeps most of us going.

The lesson we can all learn is beautifully summed up by "Sometimes seeing the same things from a completely different perspective can be revealing" and "most run up and down only on this side of the river."

Really eager for "Magpie: Two for Joy" and "Sodium." In the meantime, enjoy your well-deserved rest.
Thanangst chapter 23 . 6/6/2015
Oh, Seven...this is a perfect conclusion to this part of the story. I'd list all the elements you've melded together (and 'together' is the operative word here) to bring Sherlock to a coping point, but I'd be quoting the entire chapter.

The convoluted and intricate relationship between Sherlock and Mycroft-part snark, part pride, part pain, all love-in-silence) has reached a coping point as well, and continues to move and intrigue me. (I have a foreboding feeling that Mycroft will be a big part of the 'consequences' Mofftiss has mentioned for Series Four. I'm worried.)

Again and always, Mary is a conundrum that never seems to move beyond the opaque. Strong, fascinating character, but she also leaves me worried. I suppose that's a good thing...

Addicted? Surely you jest. I couldn't be more addicted, or more committed. You rest, dear Seven...and then serve the next chapter of the feast that is your writing. There are gluttons that need such mentally and emotionally nutritive nourishment! (Hand raised...)
LightontheSeaofSorrow chapter 23 . 6/5/2015
Curious. It's early June morning and I'm sitting here, craving for more Christmas stories from you! How did the Christmas-after-the-confrontation go for John and Mary? And what about the rest of Sherlock's (extended) family at Parham? Will we get a peek at how Caroline and Ara welcome him home, too? *dying to read those*

As for the epilogue itself, I'll obey Diane's hint and take both Sherlock and Mycroft at face value this time. No more hidden duck hunt for me... ;)

I'm sure I'll go and follow this river trail in more detail once I have woken up enough to turn on the computer. In the meantime, I'll just savour the images you left us with - quiet, wintry and muddied, yet full of hope like the early morning light.

Diane accompanying Sherlock to see he'll be okay on the rest of the road that he needs to take alone... The Holmes brothers finally coming to terms with their issues, remembering what came before and walking towards a new beginning, together. Lovely.

And yes - John Watson as the ultimate memento for the guided imagery! I had quite forgotten about that, too. Thanks to Greg for reminding us!

- And to you too, Seven. I'll be eagerly looking forward to the next story, whenever you're ready to post again.
GhyllWyne chapter 23 . 6/5/2015
Perfection. Not a word out of place, nothing left unsaid. Mycroft sitting in the dark waiting for his brother to come home. Turning off the outside security lights, knowing Sherlock would do exactly what he did, and looking forward to it. Admitting that he took up smoking because it reminded him of his missing brother, and I don't for a moment think that was a snarky lie. It was the Mycroft equivalent of a hug, just like being outside in the cold with the lights off. I smiled at every moment, and I'm still blissed out.

Sherlock walking home. The description of the scenes he passed through. Diane admitting that John Watson was the one thing Sherlock needed, just like Greg told her. I had forgotten that moment, and having it show up again was absolutely brilliant. Greg was John before John appeared on the scene, and he's still in the same role. He's just sharing it now.

Mycroft telling Sherlock that he smelled like badger shit was just adorable. And he was right, of course. Not a statement that you'd think would inspire a smile, but the whole chapter made me smile from beginning to end.

After all of the sacrifices Mycroft has made for his brother, and all the emotional abuse he's willingly accepted to keep his brother safe, this was such a touching scene. Sherlock choosing to make his way home to Mycroft as his first act of freedom says so much. I'm so happy for Mycroft that it puts a lump in my throat. No matter what happens after this, he will have this moment. It makes perfect sense of the scene in TEH where they're being almost playful with each other with the deduction duel over the hat, and the Operation game. That mood is set here.

Mycroft is determined to give Sherlock his freedom, even down to making the appointment for him to have the tracking device removed and arranging for it to be done under a local anesthetic to give him control. He'll have proof that he's free, and that Mycroft finally accepts how important that is to him.

I know there are rocky roads ahead, and I trust you to make sense of it all. Thank you for this! And yes, I'm addicted. But I think you know that. Enjoy your break, but please don't keep us waiting long. :-D