Reviews for Team Anko
Where the gras is greener chapter 1 . 3/10/2015
Ah, yes, that's the stuff. *inhales deeply*

Joking aside, nice to see another one try their… mind-minded approach to the Narutoverse. I wonder how you'll proceed.

A note on the inevitable shipping and romance in any team configuration including both Naruto and Hinata: In fanon the knowledge of the young Hyuuga's feelings for our blond hero are less than subtle, and often portrayed as blatantly obvious, excluding those oblivious to love. This _might_ be the case, but is it?

I would expect many of the girls to be either teasing or bullying her for her emotional investment in Naruto, the shunned kid, during their academy days, if her feelings were emoted as obviously as we see them. On the other hand, the kids are probably also aware of Hinata's status as the Hyuuga heir and would, if not on their own, then by imitating their parents behaviour, likely refrain from the harsher parts of the teasing. Also, teachers might frown on that. Perhaps. Though if Ikura was the only one not putting Naruto down, I wouldn't trust their insights too much, to be honest.

That aside, we're dealing with a selectively omniscient and, of course, unreliable narrator _and_ narrative. Kishimoto wants to sell stuff, and one way to accomplish this is to pander to parts of the audience in roughly the same capacity he lets them hang out to dry (probably bad idiom, but can't think of a better one). In other words, he wants to feed the audience enough to keep them alive, but also craving for more.
As such the main romantic subplot takes an eternity and a half to be resolved. So we're repeatedly made aware of Hinata's feelings in an obvious manner, but we can't say if they're as obvious for an in-universe observer.

I certainly don't think so, even if this seems to be the general fanon interpretation.

To cut a long argument short, I'll just list the points indicating and supporting my standpoint, if you don't mind:
(hopefully FF doesn't eat the formatting…)
Fact: Hinata is in love with Naruto.
Problems:
1) The cast are ninja
1a) Reading people is likely a trained skill, the older the higher skilled and more obvious other's (and younger people's) feelings are THEREFORE Hinata's feelings might be obvious for comparatively older people
1b) Hiding feelings (pokerfacing) is likely a trained skill as well. (No knowledge of presence in Academy curriculum)
2) The cast are (mostly) children
2a) Emote more blatantly in general (i.e. affection more obvious)
2b) Nature of the setting makes psychologically impacting events more likely (changes level of emoting)
3) Hinata is the Hyuuga heir apparent. Hyuuga have the Byakugan.
3a) Hyuuga can see pretty much everything in a 50m radius minimum with their Byakugan active. This reduces privacy on the clan compound to a negligible enough degree not to be present or considered among Hyuuga without formalised rituals (i.e. specifically ignored areas of recreation, or times of non-use, or sworn secrecy, …). Possessions indicative of her feelings would be easily detected. Not by lower members of the clan (respect due the clan heir), but by higher ones (her father, clan elders, others upholding clan decorum). If she has any, they're at best outside of the clan compound.
3b) The active Byakugan can see chakra. With the emotion-responsive nature of chakra portrayed in canon, it can be inferred this also implies an increased ability to read a person with an active Byakugan, a quality that might also positively influence any training on reading any person without the active help of their Byakugan. In other words, Hyuuga _ought_ to be aware of the long-running feelings of their clan heir, considering she likely didn't master her emotive ability as a young child already. That they aren't (they'd have acted) speaks of Hinata's ability to either deflect suspicions brought up against her (considering her nature… hard to believe), or of her ability to hide her feelings from the clan. (Though apparently Hanabi was aware of Hinata's feelings in the movie.)

Yet no-one acknowledge her feelings, as far as I know (1). This could be something as simple as thinking "that's so cute", but with all the schemes and politics thrown around in the background of the Narutoverse this still surprises me. Therefore my base assumption for the canon is, no-one (at least of the main characters) actually knows Hinata's in love with Naruto.

(1) I easily admit my knowledge of Naruto canon is more than spotty. I read only up to the Chuunin exam, and watched even less episodes, excepting the odd ones found as I skipped TV, and those were often laden with to much recapitulation of previous episodes I quickly switches channels. So my assertion of no-one knowing of Hinata's feelings is to be taken with a grain of salt and far from decisive evidence.

On an unrelated note, hopefully I'll get to commission "Pay Attention" at the bookbinder soon so I can finally gift it to my brother. Though I'd like to read it first (so much to read, so little time).
Furionknight chapter 2 . 3/8/2015
I look forward to more :)
Phantomzeke chapter 2 . 3/8/2015
Just wanted to point out one minor thing. Land of Sound is new, Orochimaru created it. Before that I think it was the Land of Rice or something like that. Technically, the land of anything didn't exist during the time of the Sage. They formed during the Warring States era. Otherwise, this is interesting. I look forward to see where it's going.
Chewie Cookies chapter 2 . 3/8/2015
Dang, now I'm curious!

Keep up the good work!
Solvdrage chapter 1 . 3/8/2015
Well, this is certainly a good start. I'm interested in seeing how this fic develops.
Winto-kun chapter 1 . 3/8/2015
A very detailed, well-written story with a lot of attention to details. I've never seen this tree-walking idea before.
Reader aka Sun Samurai chapter 2 . 3/8/2015
I'm guessing the official reason they want this route scouted was the Daimyo will either go himself or send his own emissary to represent him to have negotiations on trade route that can give more customers and cut out the Raikage from being the middle man. The land of lightning Daimyo most likely ripping off the Republic and making a better profit off everyone dealing with the Republic. I think the unofficial mission is to get some blackmail material on the Hyuuga, so Anko can protect Hinata without causing any ruckus. Hinata knew her clan was up to something with the Republic/Raikage that only the clan knows. Either way that knowledge can cause problems for the Hyuuga if the Hokage didn't sign off on it. Plus this can give Anko time to work on her genin without interference from anyone one since this won't be a quick mission. I couldn't stop laughing at the part when Hinata looked at the glistening Naruto and thought what the hell is he in to. Glad you made Shino human in showing he has a temper like everyone else. If that's Anko taijutsu training they all be able to handle genin/chuunin soon enough. Wondering if you already decided the pairings in the story? Don't have to answer if you don't want too. Great chapter, can't wait for the next one.
Flameraven chapter 2 . 3/8/2015
I think you meant that Shino 'might have had some Yamanaka blood in him' not Inuzuka if he 'plucked the thought from her mind'.

There are now three possibilities going on with this 'trade root' they are scouting. Either they are going to move up and annex one or both of the two counties in question, offer to be some from of 'buffer' within the already buffer zone, or have trade agreements with both of them for use of this land.

Going by Hinata's and Naruto's reactions I'm leaning towards war but...

I find myself wondering whom beat Hinata like that. Hiashi is emotionally abusive, few could doubt that, but not really physically. I'm guessing a spar with either an elder or Neji going by the bruising. Nothing really ordered by her father, but nothing he cares to stop ether.
Mizu25 chapter 2 . 3/8/2015
Mean
I wanna know what the Daimyo is planning, and you just had to leave off the reveal, didn't you? :D

Interesting chapter, overall. A good summary of the political climate of the Naruto countries, as well as an explanation for their strange technology level - anything we'd consider beyond middle-ages in tech is imported from another country across the ocean, with a monopoly being held on goods from Lightning. Thus resulting in any goods being rare and very expensive, and thus not generally used in everything. Also could be taken as a valid explanation for the end of Naruto canon, where they get technology good enough for laptops and such.
Arantxa2020 chapter 1 . 3/7/2015
I like this already.
Keep up the good work.
Schlega chapter 1 . 3/7/2015
This didn't immediately grab my interest (probably because I'm not into Naruto), but after 2YE I trust you enough to stick around and see where it goes.
Romulus123 chapter 1 . 3/4/2015
I loved this a lot more than I thought I would. I love me done Anko. Putting Hinata on the same team as Naruto is something I've seen a lot in these types of stories but she's not stuttering herself into a stroke in this story. And there's always room for Shino. His character has so Mich potential just waiting to be exploited.

Not sure how I feel about the romantic Ibiki relationship though. Kinda always got a big-btother/uncle feel from those two. He just seems a lot older. And not capable of that type of affection. But that's just me, Ill get used to it.

Awesome pilot chapter, can't wait for more.
The Skaz of the Void chapter 1 . 3/4/2015
Officially a fan; this fic is now a favorite. This whole thing just works too well to believe. Keep being awesome.
anarion87 chapter 1 . 3/4/2015