Reviews for Knife Work
Bushwah chapter 1 . 5/18/2013
Knife-work indeed.
Petrichora chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Oh goodness, my old review from 10 years ago and another name is still here. It feels a bit like looking at an old high school yearbook picture.

You write fight scenes exceptionally well. I'm sure you already knew that, but it bears repeating, just in case. I've always thought it was a shame that Legolas loses by such a small amount: indeed, if all of his kills came at so great a risk as these four, I think he ought to have at least received a consolation prize!
Enna Namo chapter 1 . 4/25/2011
Great fighting scene! And even one without Legolas ending up injured, giggle, like so many other fanfiction writers like to write. I am deeply impressed how thorough you seem to have read Tolkins writing. If he were still alive I would love to see you and him comparing notes and ideas!
The Pearl Maiden chapter 1 . 4/9/2011
Great piece! :)
kspadawan chapter 1 . 4/4/2011
I've always wondered that as well. I'll remember this the next time I'm reading that part!
Hallolo chapter 1 . 8/22/2010
I had never thought of that detail, but I like your explaination! Your battle scene is very well written.

Thanks !

Hallolo
DarkBlaziken chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
excellent expansion on your part!

I like how you took a few lines from Tolkien and wrote a whole backstory. Nicely done!

Battle scenes v. vivid. Loves them.
aotearoan chapter 1 . 11/15/2009
Thanks for this! that little puzzle always made me curious, too... loved the piece. i'm going to go and check out your other stuff!
yamina-chan chapter 1 . 4/16/2009
I've been wondering about this number as well.

But in the way you describe it, that's probably what could have happend.

The way you wrote it was great as expected
Marchwriter chapter 1 . 12/9/2008
I'm running through your stories today, though I may have to stop, so I can savor them at a later date. I do, however, have a question. Black Speech is so infrequent in Tolkien's books (I assume because of its foulness). Where did you find the term "illid" for "elf"? "Golug" I have seen used for the Noldor. Is "illid" just "an elf" or a "Sindar / Silvan" elf? Curiosity burns.

Another ingenious piece.

Best,

Marchwriter
Ganheim chapter 1 . 3/1/2007
the senses of men were easily confused and confounded in the chaos of battle,

[‘Confused’ and ‘confounded’ have virtually identical meanings and usages, particularly in this instance. I’d delete one.]

but for Orcs to creep behind the wall…

[Didn’t the uruk army clearly breach the wall before there was the call of orcs behind the wall?]

And with most of the men now fighting behind the wall rather than defending it, the goblins were free to attack.

[I’ve heard that Tolkien uses ‘orc’ and ‘goblin’ interchangeably, but as I recall he remained pretty consistent about using ‘orc’ in the Lord of the Rings, and in my mind an orc, goblin, and uruk are each different creatures, so referring to orcs pouring onto the wall and then seeing ‘goblins’ causes a little bit of confusion.]

his knife up and ready to deflect any blows should the Orc by toying with him.

[I believe that should say ‘be toying’ instead of ‘by’.]

Or the distant future, for that matter.

[What are friends for?]

That was an enjoyable fight scene. Your writing is excellent, despite reading through several times I only found a few things to point out. I hope you have the time at some point to give your opinion of one of my stories (as long as you don’t mind the fandoms).

God bless and happy writing,

Ganheim
yllom21 chapter 1 . 8/21/2006
Interesting! Although I did not like the ending. (Is this going to be continued? It just seemed to randomly end) Nice job nonetheless, I really enjoyed this story.
Philippa chapter 1 . 3/11/2006
A satisfyingly detailed answer to a puzzling discrepancy :)
A. Person chapter 1 . 12/28/2005
That was awsome action! And it explained the phenomenon realistically, I think.
Frodo's sister chapter 1 . 10/11/2005
Good description of Legolas fighting orcs.