Reviews for Knife Work
Jen Littlebottom chapter 1 . 4/15/2003
Again, I am amazed at your ability to write battle scenes. And I loved the little bit at the end, with Gimli trying to work out just what he missed and Legolas doing the sterotypical cryptic Elf thing.
Evening Nightshade chapter 1 . 3/9/2003
Wow! I was delighted to find a book-verse story set during the Battle of Helm's Deep, and this one was sheer brilliance!

Your characterisation is just perfect, and the whole story just flows together nicely. It's good to see an author using Dwarvish in their stories, as so few do. Thank you!

To sum up: utterly amazing, I'm incredibly jealous, and write more stories like this.
Legolas see Legolas and Gimli chapter 1 . 3/5/2003
Hey! Your stories are great, but i just wanted to make a small point. Legolas isn't technically a prince. I know he's son of a king and all, but there are a few complications, so he isn't actually royalty.

Keep writing anyhoo!

Legolas G.
gypsyinjeans chapter 1 . 2/28/2003
Short but sweet.
Victoria Hughes chapter 1 . 2/2/2003
kyaa, kyaa! Another lovely fic that I've failed to be good and review! I read this almost immediately after you put this up ... and then decided to be a lazy bum. Sorry, you deserve far better. But enough of my petty apologies! On to the good stuff - the review! :)

I do love your portrayal of Legolas. I love it. I adore it. *tries to think of more adjectives to describe characterization* It's ... brilliant! Of course, it's only a glance at a sliver of his mind (his moment-by-moment thought process in/actions during/assesment of a battle), but just like all the battle scenes I have ever read in by you in which one is 'inside' Legolas' head, this one is well written. A particularly poingant(sp?) line, to me, may not be really a matter of characterization but more a matter of complete connection with the character in question, and it's only one line: 'Valar!' This moment (in context) just sums up to me how your writing style and ability to portray Legolas so well causes him to come alive in my mind. And another moment that I loved was when Legolas used his own ability to look impossibly smug (an expression that I imagine comes naturally to all Elves) to his advantage. Never thought of a smirk as a weapon in battle before ...

Shoot, I love your portrayal of all the characters. The short glance at Gimli (as seen through Legolas eyes) is lovely and vaguely amusing. This is Aragorn pre-Kingship, and ... *looks over fic collection* I believe this is the first and only time I have read your portrayal thusly. He's just a little rougher, I think, but then that may be because they're in the middle of a battle! No politics involved; it's a different side of Aragorn than we have ever seen before in your writing. He's cynical and thoughtful and, like Legolas, made angry by being made to worry. :) And Eomer! I'm afraid I've never had a great grasp of his character, so I can't really compare your portrayal of him to any standard, but I do like him; a loyal soldier, he's very interesting to read about, even in the short glances here. And again, it's from Legolas' POV, and he's looking at Eomer through the slightly skewed lens of an unfavorable first impression.

TANGENT: Eomer's characterization. Legolas says to Eomer that some may hesitate to come to the aid of one not of their own kind. Upon this second reading it occurs to me that this is, on some level, a barb; a reminder of Eomer's uncharitablilty for Elves (associated with the Witch of Lothlorien) and Dwarves (probably associated with Moria). But Eomer's response - that he is not one of those [who would hesitate to save one not of his race] - is said with such a thoughtless 'of course!' attitude as to give Legolas second thoughts about Eomer's apparent prejudices. Indeed, I think Eomer's first comments to Gimli are born more of fear than of a true dislike for Elves and Dwarves.

Back on track, it's time to take a look at this fic for what it is: an action fic, one uber-long battle scene. And really, there's not much more to say than 'well done!' It takes real skill to be able to write a battle scene; one has to move quickly enough to establish a sense of urgency and action, but description must also be full enough to give the reader an impression of the nature of the battle (gruesome, sudden, terrifying, focused, large/small-scale, etc.), and if the battle is approached from a character's POV (as this one is), the thoughts of the character must be interspersed into what they see, or the character loses all flavor(so to speak). You do all this very well; if I was forced to pick a complaint, I would have to say you err on the side of too much description, but that is hardly a flaw! For an Elf, taking in that much information in a glance would be quite possible, IMO. Someone else remarked on the review page that they liked the way you pointed out that as an Elf Legolas would be singled out, and I did too. That's a very interesting point that I'd never really taken into consideration in my reading of the books. Other particularly enjoyable aspects of this writing is the ability of the reader to connect to Legolas, as I mentioned before. His reactions are very realistic and his frustration with his luck palpable; the trouble with his knife and chain-mail had me in mild conniptions. Which brings me to the realism of the battle again - no one is going to get through a battle like that without difficulties. Perhaps it was this very realism in the chain mail dilemma that made the connection with Legolas so strong. Two - no, excuse me, three tries to pull the knife out, and then when he does get it free, all is nearly lost anyway! And I nearly forget the trouble Legolas had getting the knife *into* the mail ...

"I have no desire to inform Lord Elrond that you died because I backed into you during a skirmish." - Just had to mention this was a brilliant line. :)

The entire exchange between Legolas, Eomer, and Aragorn at the end of that little episode was wonderful. And of course, your adaption of the novel regarding Legolas and Gimli's follow-up conversation was priceless.

Loving your work,

Vikki
Mebrireth chapter 1 . 1/24/2003
Alrighty, are you aware of how brilliant you are? This story is absolutely amazing. For myself, I find that action sequences are te hardest to write, but this was just so great. I mean, I knew well enough that Legolas makes it out alright, but my heart was still pounding when I was reading it. You tell the story so well and all the action was perfect and you caught the thoughts of the chracters perfectly and it's all perfect! (Sorry, my vocabulary tends to become quite limited when awed by another author.) I have read a few of your other stories and found them to be...well, perfect, and I just have to say I enjoy your writing so well that I believe I shall be forced to read most if not all of your stories. You have my highest regards, cheers and love forever!
Kurremkarmerruk chapter 1 . 1/19/2003
I realy like this fic. FYI I'm going back and reveiwing everything I realy realy realy like and that means most of your work.
LadyJea chapter 1 . 1/18/2003
Most excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Evil Dragon King chapter 1 . 1/7/2003
Yep, that sounds like a pretty good explanation to me! You truly do have an over active imagination but much to my delight! The fight scenes in this fic are written extremely well, and I can now see that you are equally good at writing action as you are humour and angst...great job!
VladimirsAngel chapter 1 . 1/1/2003
Great, powerfully crafted battle sequence. Eomer's right - never want to face an elf in his wrath!

Please continue writing stories of this calibre. You have a lot of talent :)
Unurith chapter 1 . 12/26/2002
An excellent piece of work as usual, You never cease to amaze me Thundera. You definetly would have been admired by Tolkien himself if circumstances permitted! Continue writting more of these wonderful stories!
Frodo3791 chapter 1 . 12/25/2002
The action scenes were awesome! Great job! Great way to explain it too. Keep it coming!

-Frodo
Littlefish chapter 1 . 12/24/2002
WOW! Awesome new story Thundera Tiger. You never cease to amaze me. You managed to write a scene that is completely battle from beginning to end (well, almost end) and still have it flow smoothly! The action was beautifully laid out, and it flowed through my mind in the most wonderful of ways! Your description, as usual, were perfect, and your characterizations even more so. It is so like Legolas to take a fight on himself rather than risk Aragorn. And it is also just like Gimli to jump into a seething sea of orcs just so he might have a chance at winning a bet with Legolas. Of course, I am sure that wasn't his only reason, but still...

Very well done, and I am glad I managed to stumble upon it. I can't wait for the next little short story! These are just awesome! Of course, I am still waiting patiently-not so patiently-for an update on your longer stories as well. :)
alliwantisanelfforchristmas chapter 1 . 12/21/2002
Holy Cow, TT, that was intense!

Your descriptions of the battle make me feel like I am standing right in the middle of the frey. I can all but smell the Orc blood, hear the battle cries, feel the rain on my face.

Terrific explanation of how Gimli could have caught up so rapidly. I love it when you do these missing scenes for us. Thank you!
Goody-Goodie chapter 1 . 12/18/2002
Fantastic. A very good explanation. I always liked the "It has been knife work up here." line, but I always just assumed fewer Orcs had made their way to Legolas's position.

Great idea too, having the Orcs see Legolas is an elf and he's singled out. It was wonderful, nicely written too as are all your fics.
82 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »