Reviews for Knife Work
alliwantisanelfforchristmas chapter 1 . 12/21/2002
Holy Cow, TT, that was intense!

Your descriptions of the battle make me feel like I am standing right in the middle of the frey. I can all but smell the Orc blood, hear the battle cries, feel the rain on my face.

Terrific explanation of how Gimli could have caught up so rapidly. I love it when you do these missing scenes for us. Thank you!
Goody-Goodie chapter 1 . 12/18/2002
Fantastic. A very good explanation. I always liked the "It has been knife work up here." line, but I always just assumed fewer Orcs had made their way to Legolas's position.

Great idea too, having the Orcs see Legolas is an elf and he's singled out. It was wonderful, nicely written too as are all your fics.
annakas chapter 1 . 12/18/2002
WOOHOO I loved it loved it loved it. Amazing.
Jevvica chapter 1 . 12/17/2002
Fabulous.
Ecri chapter 1 . 12/15/2002
Wonderful! I remember wondering the same thing the first time I read the book, and every subsequent time I try to work out a reason, but yours surpasses anything I ever imagined.

Truly well done. A good match to Tolkien's original and certainly a feasible series of events. A joy yo read.
Nimue I Am chapter 1 . 12/14/2002
Whew! I'm breathless. Standing over the elf's shoulder in battle is almost as exhausting for ther reader as it is for him.

Perfect description of the fights, and the interaction of the characters with one another.

I had never actually wondered about the orc-tally in the books, as I have always assumed that Legolas lied and let Gimli win. LOL! Well! That's just how I interpreted it as a kid and it stuck with me, so don't go sending me nasty mail, Dwarf fans. Thundera's account here is more than plausible.

(Although Gimli beats Legolas by ONE little orc by the end of it, and Legolas admits his score after his great relief at finding Gimli still on his feet and alive? You have to admit, it's suspicious. Methinks that stubborn Elf has a soft heart. : )
Cimmoren chapter 1 . 12/13/2002
Nice job! I'm amazed at the wonderful blend you did, as always, between Tolkien's words and yours.

My solution was a little different. I remember reading it, shrugging, and deciding that Legolas had to remain on the wall to prevent orcs from swarming over. I thought that he had to slice the ropes and push over the ladders so they did not have time to climb up.

However, your version sounds more plausible and it makes Legolas seem more heroic.

Thank you for showing that although Legolas is a great warrior, he could not defeat hundreds of orcs alone. Your fight scenes ran very smooth for me as , you left Aragorn's back unprotected.

Even if the orcs main focus was upon Legolas, surely one of them would have taken advantage of an oppurtunity to get ride of Aragorn? Or did I read it wrong?
legofan chapter 1 . 12/11/2002
Another GREAT story - like so many others Legolas is the best. You write the relationship between him and Gimli very well. Love all the fight seens. You have a lot of continuity of movement that many writers lack. I can't always picture their movements but yours dance in front of me. While the Ring went south is one of my all time favorites, please please please write another like it. Thanks in advance.

I called my college roommate Lion-o behind her back because her hair was so big. It was the 80's.
HaloGatomon chapter 1 . 12/11/2002
A very nice little ficlet indeed! I very much enjoyed that!

"Must trouble follow you everywhere, son of Arathorn," Legolas murmured, readjusting his stance so as to work with Aragorn at his back.

"Those Orcs were not shouting about my race," Aragorn retorted. "If trouble follows anyone, it follows you, son of Thranduil."

*giggles* That made me chuckle. Trouble big and small follows both of them wherever they go.
Jedi Honor Bound Ninja chapter 1 . 12/11/2002
Hey that is a good question and youve answered it very cleverly! (is cleverly a word, ugh who cares)

I like it when you answer your own questions, good mini fics come out of them! and agian you do the very best battle scenes!

Heck dont hesitate to do more battle scenes, missing scenes, redo scenes that you see fit..make up some stuff ! anything lol. What Id like to see is your interpertation on how the sea longing came upon legolas or even how legolas and Gimli got to deciding to leave Middle-earth in the end.

Ok there I go again, dont pay me any attention.

-Insane Muse
Ithilien chapter 1 . 12/10/2002
You know, I always wondered about that myself. Though I hate to admit it, I always thought it just meant Legolas was not as adept with a knife as he was with his bow. Thank you for proving that wrong. I like this scenario much better as it escalates Legolas to heroic proportion again in my mind. It must be tough being the only elf among men with orcs attacking. Yes, he would get singled out, and yes he would be fighting for his life.

Nice battle work. Either you are very good at choreography, or you have a mind that can pick apart fight scenes and reconstruct them in your mind. To write this word for word so well, so descriptively, well I am in awe. A very tough thing that is to do, and this chapter isn't one small skirmish but an incredibly long fight. Yet you give it your full attention and there is not a detail missing . Nicely done. A fine piece to add to your repertoire.
Bill-the-Pony chapter 1 . 12/10/2002
Oh this was a dream come true! *Swoon* A whole story that had nothing but glorious elven fighting! Gah! I'm in heaven. All that wonderful, discriptive action...*Double Swoon* Absolutely pulse pounding.

I think I'm going to have to make this canon for everytime I read that section - since I'm coming up on that section very soon in my annual reading of the book.

I can't gush enough.
Sylvia1 chapter 1 . 12/10/2002
I like the way you came up with this! Again your ability to place your story inside of Tolkien's words astounds me. The description of the battles and of the moves of Legolas, Eomer, and Aragorn seemed to fit perfectly with them. When I had read that passage from the book, I had never really noticed how the numbers seemed to jump at that point, so intent was I on the battle itself, but this little vignette paints the portrait beautifully. Wonderful little story, I hope you write more like this. Thank you!

Sylvia
Lauren chapter 1 . 12/9/2002
Excellent story, as usual! Your style never ceases to amaze me! Keep up the wonderful writing!
bryn bnw chapter 1 . 12/9/2002
I love how you always manage to pluck my favorite parts of the book and draw them out. :)

I often wondered why Legolas killed so few orcs. Though I admit I drew a different conclusion, I am fascinated by yours.

GREAT scene with the moon and flash of lightening! My heart was pounding, and for a few moments I worried Legolas wouldn't make it (then rational thought returned after Eomer slayed the orc and I realized Legolas appears in later parts of the book).

"He could step forward between the Orcs and face them alone, or he could back into Aragorn and hope that the sudden contact did not disorient his friend and lead to his death. Given these options and their consequences, Legolas chose the first." *groan* *lol* Of course the grandson of Oropher would choose to charge straight into the fray...

I loved Aragorn's reprimand, and Legolas' ensuing retort.

Three cheers for Eomer! Though they got off on the wrong foot, things are definitely looking brighter. :)
84 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »