Reviews for Knife Work
JastaElf chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Abso-frickin'-lutely brilliant!

Writing battle scenes is very, very difficult, because there is a need both to track the action of the players involved, AND convey the confusion and chaos that is battle. You have done both with supreme skill, and masterful storytelling.

And you have shed light on a very odd little quirk in the canon. I think somewhere in Valinor, Master Tolkien is smiling very, very widely!

BTW, speaking of shedding light, the description of how Legolas was "caught between lightning and moonlight," is just magnificent. I am so dying to see the movie now, to see if they come even a tiny bit close to capturing what you have captured. (grin)

VERY fine job, but then, are we surprised? Not when the writer is you.
Mari chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Brilliant!

This is fantastic-a tight, quick, suspensful, exciting vignette, and one that fully explains that little discrepancy in canon. I remember wondering about it at the time myself-are knives really that unefficient? But this provides a perfect explanation-and is just all-around great in itself.

It's always tricky to write a fight scene, and to write a work that is virtually all fight scene is even trickier, but you pull it off brilliantly. The actions and reactions are all coherent, descriptive, pithy, and lead perfectly into the next move-it all fits together like the proverbial puzzle. In fact, what struck me about this story was how well everything tied in to everything else-Legolas warning Eomer in the beginning lead to Eomer dispatching the Uruk-Hai, for instance. The build-up of small occurences was also fantastic-a badly-timed lightning flash, one orc wearing chainmail, one knife getting stuck in said chainmail, the animalistic pack-mentality of Orcs-one point after another that shapes and affects the next-beautifully clean.

Amidst all this fighting, the scraps and snippets of character work were fantastic-Legolas, of course, with echoes of his military training and experience, his decision to strike out on his own rather than potentially disrupt Aragorn, the hilarious mental taunting of the Uruk-Hai, his surprise and then gratitude towards Eomer-all perfect. Eomer, also, was great in this story, and made the most of his limited but crucial time-saving Legolas from a sense of a "fair exchange", his getting to know Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli-excellent. Even smaller was Aragorn's cameo, but once again, you really make the most of it, and we get flashes of his dry wit, his loyalty, and his unique blend of cynical optimism.

Wonderful story! Please post more as soon as you can!
Alawa chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Great gap-filler. I liked it that you lavished the same care about detail on this short story that is a hallmark of your longer stories. And even with all the time it took to describe all that detail, you managed to keep the tension at breaking point. I could just see it all unfolding before my eyes. Nice interaction between the characters too.
Serena57 chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Oh, dear! This must be the best missing scene ever. The detail with which you wrought this wonderful short tale left me breathless, and I almost sobbed in relief at its end. The taly between elf and dwarf has always been one of my favorite parts in the book and I am glad to see that small point resolved. I'll take it as canon... *grins* I liked this very much. Any other missing scenes in your story bag?

Regards,

Serena
Jay of Lasgalen chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Wonderful! I'm always ready to read a new Thundera story. I like these shorter, complete stories, I hate waiting so long for the updates to your longer fics!

I've also wondered about the growing tally in the orc-contest, but only in passing. This is an excellent fill-in to the battle of Helm's Deep, I'm tempted to print it out and stick it into my copy of LOTR!
The Valar chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Good take on the battle of Helm's Deep and it had me on the edge of my seat! Keep writing, maybe even do another chapter?please?
Ainaechoiriel chapter 1 . 12/7/2002
A good vignette and a good explanation for the small increase in Legolas's number. Well done.
PuterPatty chapter 1 . 12/7/2002
LOL-so here I had just reread that chapter, reference the review I left you just ten minutes ago for LoLaS, and had questioned that exact same thing. And here you have answered that question. And wonderfully I might add too.

Your fight scene was tremendous as always. It's going on my list of favorite TT fight scenes though. You just keep getting better and better at writing this stuff. Even though I knew Legolas would make it out of there alive and unscathed, the suspense was just eating me up of whether or not he would get his knife back and dispatch that nasty Uruk-hai.

Eomer coming to his aid and Legolas nearly dispatching him was hilarious. And we see the friendship between Eomer and Legolas developing here that exists between them in LoLaS. Great thread running through all your fics.

Awesome vignette, TT. Remind me to bring all my questions regarding LotR to you so that you can answer them with these beautifully written stories. (You wouldn't happen to know if she-elves have Aunt Flow's, would you? Any thoughts? I'm quite serious-ask Ithilien, she'll tell you.)
83 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6