Reviews for Knife Work
Jocelyn chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Wow. That was one of the most intense battles you've ever done. Of course, Tolkien made Helm's Deep pretty intense even before you got your creative claws into it. Fabulous writing!

I could feel my heart speeding up the whole time. Your imagery and description of every event and thought of Legolas is spellbinding. I knew Legolas doesn't get hurt at Helm's Deep, but I had to stop myself from racing ahead to make sure! It's interesting how Legolas's own battle experience from Mirkwood comes into play here. You made me notice something I hadn't before, that Helm's Deep must have been an incredibly uncomfortable battle for Legolas, inside all that stone with orcs crowding into them. Between his native elvish claustrophobia and the press of people, it must have been awful. You show that by how Legolas is disoriented by the orcs' death cries.

I always thought the orcs might have been more drawn to attack Legolas, given the enmity between the races, and you draw on that. I don't think that was in the books, but it's a marvelous embellishment on what Tolkien gave us. That was a rather funny observation from Aragorn about the orcs going after the elf.

My heart really hammered when Legolas couldn't get his knife out of that orc's chain mail and had to scramble for his life to get away from the orc chieftain and all his lackies. Yick. Your description was almost TOO vivid at times! THen again, I've always been rather squeamish at violence.

Eomer to the rescue! Yay! And he keeps his sense of humor through all that! I notice that Aragorn tends to react to seeing his friends in mortal peril the same way that Legolas does-he gets rather cranky.

Ye Gods. I'm surprised that Legolas actually remembered how many orcs he had killed after all that insanity. Good ol' Gimli! I love these vignettes you've been doing, and my only regret is that they always leave me wanting more. Fabulously done.

Update your other stories soon!
Damn the Torpedoes chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
To be honest that little bit of math never occured to me- oh how I hate math! :)

But this was a very nicely-written little ficlet- not much to say to be honest. Everything about it was perfectly wonderful ;)

Update anything soon!
littlegreenleaf chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Awesome! Absolutely awesome! You always give so much thought and care into each word you write. This was such as intense battle sequence, more so than any other I've read from you. You did such a marvelous job. Very, very well written! Thank you for sharing!
littlegreenleaf chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
JastaElf chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Abso-frickin'-lutely brilliant!

Writing battle scenes is very, very difficult, because there is a need both to track the action of the players involved, AND convey the confusion and chaos that is battle. You have done both with supreme skill, and masterful storytelling.

And you have shed light on a very odd little quirk in the canon. I think somewhere in Valinor, Master Tolkien is smiling very, very widely!

BTW, speaking of shedding light, the description of how Legolas was "caught between lightning and moonlight," is just magnificent. I am so dying to see the movie now, to see if they come even a tiny bit close to capturing what you have captured. (grin)

VERY fine job, but then, are we surprised? Not when the writer is you.
Mari chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Brilliant!

This is fantastic-a tight, quick, suspensful, exciting vignette, and one that fully explains that little discrepancy in canon. I remember wondering about it at the time myself-are knives really that unefficient? But this provides a perfect explanation-and is just all-around great in itself.

It's always tricky to write a fight scene, and to write a work that is virtually all fight scene is even trickier, but you pull it off brilliantly. The actions and reactions are all coherent, descriptive, pithy, and lead perfectly into the next move-it all fits together like the proverbial puzzle. In fact, what struck me about this story was how well everything tied in to everything else-Legolas warning Eomer in the beginning lead to Eomer dispatching the Uruk-Hai, for instance. The build-up of small occurences was also fantastic-a badly-timed lightning flash, one orc wearing chainmail, one knife getting stuck in said chainmail, the animalistic pack-mentality of Orcs-one point after another that shapes and affects the next-beautifully clean.

Amidst all this fighting, the scraps and snippets of character work were fantastic-Legolas, of course, with echoes of his military training and experience, his decision to strike out on his own rather than potentially disrupt Aragorn, the hilarious mental taunting of the Uruk-Hai, his surprise and then gratitude towards Eomer-all perfect. Eomer, also, was great in this story, and made the most of his limited but crucial time-saving Legolas from a sense of a "fair exchange", his getting to know Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli-excellent. Even smaller was Aragorn's cameo, but once again, you really make the most of it, and we get flashes of his dry wit, his loyalty, and his unique blend of cynical optimism.

Wonderful story! Please post more as soon as you can!
Alawa chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Great gap-filler. I liked it that you lavished the same care about detail on this short story that is a hallmark of your longer stories. And even with all the time it took to describe all that detail, you managed to keep the tension at breaking point. I could just see it all unfolding before my eyes. Nice interaction between the characters too.
Serena57 chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Oh, dear! This must be the best missing scene ever. The detail with which you wrought this wonderful short tale left me breathless, and I almost sobbed in relief at its end. The taly between elf and dwarf has always been one of my favorite parts in the book and I am glad to see that small point resolved. I'll take it as canon... *grins* I liked this very much. Any other missing scenes in your story bag?

Regards,

Serena
Jay of Lasgalen chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Wonderful! I'm always ready to read a new Thundera story. I like these shorter, complete stories, I hate waiting so long for the updates to your longer fics!

I've also wondered about the growing tally in the orc-contest, but only in passing. This is an excellent fill-in to the battle of Helm's Deep, I'm tempted to print it out and stick it into my copy of LOTR!
The Valar chapter 1 . 12/8/2002
Good take on the battle of Helm's Deep and it had me on the edge of my seat! Keep writing, maybe even do another chapter?please?
Ainaechoiriel chapter 1 . 12/7/2002
A good vignette and a good explanation for the small increase in Legolas's number. Well done.
PuterPatty chapter 1 . 12/7/2002
LOL-so here I had just reread that chapter, reference the review I left you just ten minutes ago for LoLaS, and had questioned that exact same thing. And here you have answered that question. And wonderfully I might add too.

Your fight scene was tremendous as always. It's going on my list of favorite TT fight scenes though. You just keep getting better and better at writing this stuff. Even though I knew Legolas would make it out of there alive and unscathed, the suspense was just eating me up of whether or not he would get his knife back and dispatch that nasty Uruk-hai.

Eomer coming to his aid and Legolas nearly dispatching him was hilarious. And we see the friendship between Eomer and Legolas developing here that exists between them in LoLaS. Great thread running through all your fics.

Awesome vignette, TT. Remind me to bring all my questions regarding LotR to you so that you can answer them with these beautifully written stories. (You wouldn't happen to know if she-elves have Aunt Flow's, would you? Any thoughts? I'm quite serious-ask Ithilien, she'll tell you.)
87 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6