Reviews for Ranger of the North Volume 1: The Familiar of Zero
Michae1ange1o chapter 12 . 2/24
You know, if you squint and look sideways at the last section of this chapter, you'd swear it was the beginning of the three musketeers.
HalcyonDays14 chapter 12 . 11/21/2017
Hello! First of all, thank you for the fantastic read. I was fortunate enough to find this baby literally a couple of hours before I got on the longest flight of my life. Seriously, those 22 plus hours in the air, not to mention the layovers, would’ve been a lot more painful if it wasn’t for this story.

Now for the questionnaire:

1). What did you come to read the story for?
I gave this story a try because of the OC tag. Now OCs and SIs aren’t usually my cup of tea, but lately I’ve been rather disappointed by the fics I read mainly due to how OOC the canon characters in those stories were. I know I may sound a bit whiney (or maybe even ungrateful given how I’m not paying anything to be entertained here), but if there were no “OOC warnings” in the summary, then I kind of expect the characters in the fics to…. well, remain in character. It felt like some authors didn’t even try, and their canon characters (usually the MCs) might as well be OCs, or even SIs whether they want to admit or not. The way I see it, at least the fics with the OC tags felt more “honest.”

2). What stood out the most in the story?
For me it was the way Jophiel was portrayed, namely his imperfections. Now this is a good thing IMO. I don’t know about you, but the Gary Stu/Mary Sue personas that I see from a lot of the MCs are getting rather old. The same feeling also applied to characters who possessed plot armors that equal to or surpass that of Jesus Yamato’s. Jophiel made plenty of mistakes, he wasn’t undefeatable, and things didn’t always fall perfectly into place for the guy. And although his intentions were never malicious, he also made a few questionable decisions that are already starting to come back to bite him in the ass. But this is why I found this story to be enjoyable. I’d much rather read a story about a character who’s trying to make the best out of the situation he was dumped into instead of a guy just curb stomping his way through everything, literally or fugitively. I personally don’t think you can have a good story without conflicts or challenges.

3). What did you not like?
Nothing major.

4). What did you like?
Jophiel’s interactions with the Horie’s, especially with Siesta, are highlights in this story for me. I always had a soft spot for the “nice girl” characters, but it seems like being nice will get you an automatic lose when it comes to relationships in anime/mange these days. Funny thing is, I’m pretty sure I know which one most people in real life would pick if their choices are between a domestic girl like Siesta and a girl whose temper is on a hair trigger and has no problem in physically striking out if she is displeased with you. But hey, to each his own I guess.

5). Where did something in the story hit home?
Jophiel missing his home. I can kind of relate to that. Left my home country at 11 and never stayed in the same place for more than two to three years at a time after that. I usually get to see my family once every year (sometimes two). You see the isekai manga’s that have been flooding the market during the recent years and most of those MCs don’t even bat an eyelash at their predicament (granted most of them were salarymen/useless neets whose lives were dramatically improved from it), so it’s kind of nice and refreshing to see a character who was actually distressed at the prospect of being stranded in a different world.

6). Where did the story lose you?
Nothing comes to mind.

7). What's the story's worst trait?
Nothing that really stood out.

8). What's the story's best trait?
I LOVE how your story is not following the canon path event by event, and not everyone (whether it’s their relationships or backgrounds) is the same as his or her anime counterpart. It’s still relatively early in the FoZ plotline, and I look forward to see where your changes will lead this story to.

9). What did you most want from the story?
A bit more romance if possible. That and maybe a few more things from other universes or expend from the ones you already introduced. I personally would like to see more of that charmander.

10). What did you most dread about the story?
Not the story itself, but I’m kind of dreading you dropping this fic. And yes, that was me shamelessly trying to guilt trip you into not dropping it, lol.
Guest chapter 2 . 9/17/2017
So why is Gramont still Gramont. What is the poitn of the stupid change to make Louises last name le Blanc instead of de la Valliere?
Guest chapter 1 . 9/17/2017
Why are their last names le Blanc and Augusta instead of de la Valliere and von Anhalt-Zerbst. Augusta is just a middle name. If it is an AU-change, then it is an unecessary, stupid and annoying one.
Karharot chapter 12 . 7/18/2017
Finished the volume in one go, first going to answer your questionnaire and then it will be time to move to volume 2 ;)

1). What did you come to read the story for?:
I have fun reading your other story "Down the Rabbit Hole..." and decided to check out this one too.

2). What stood out the most in the story?:
Nothing comes to mind.

3). What did you not like:
How Tabitha was entirely cut out from the first half of the story.

4). What did you like?:
How you succeeded in keeping the various characters interesting and not making them OOC. In particular Colbert, Kirche, Osmand and Tabitha come to mind.

5). Where did something in the story hit home?:
I can't really remember anything..

6). Where did the story lose you?:
There were a few odd moments. The one that stood out the most is the active internet connection, even if it presence and absence is linked to Louise (if she is the one that somehow acts like an inter-dimensional transmitter) it is both extremely odd and would inevitably led to breaking the story by how much of an advantage it would giver the MC.

7). What's the story's worst trait?:
A bit too much random inter-dimensional stuff and changes to the canon. While those are not bad in themselves it kind of feels like some of that stuff doesn't serve any real purpose and is somewhat confusing.

8). What's the story's best trait?:
Your writing style. Just like in your other fanfic I often find the MC inner thoughts and observations funny thanks to the way they are phrased.

9). What did you most want from the story?:
To see Tabitha as she is my favorite character in ZnT :) I like how you written her (too many fanfics go completely OOC with her) and look forward to seeing more of her future appearances.

10). What did you most dread about the story?:
Jophiel spinning the lies of him being a noble and what would happen if the truth came out... I dislike the lies and even more so the incredibly awkward moments when they are revealed.

I will use the occasion and point something worth correcting in chapter 12:

During their first meeting on the balcony Henrietta introduced herself to Jophiel only as "Anne" and up to the point she and Louise left nothing else about her identity was revealed. However in the next scene they meet Jophiel already knows who she is despite the fact he should still think of her as just Louise childhood friend.
It would probably be best for Louise to refer to Henrietta as "Your Highness" somewhere at the end of the first scene so that Jophiel can realize who she is before their next meeting.

And some minro things:
while I dearly love my daughter Eleanore, she…" He paused again, clearly deliberately picking his words before continuing. "...Is not betrothed for a lack of trying."
(single instead of betrothed)

I do not necessarily enjoy hiding from Anges so

that is part of the reason I shook off Anges the way I did
(small spelling error in Agnes name in both of rhe above cases)
cko2 chapter 12 . 6/21/2017
Not bad. Very different for a SELF INSERT charater being a bit different though. Not over powered and not seeing a Mary sue at least. Though the nobe thing might bite him in the ass though down the road. Weird ypu are putting in all kinds of game stuff in the story and no horses which was weird. But nice story and thanks for sharing.
LanceAvalon chapter 12 . 6/13/2017
I really liked the story unfortunately It suffers from your character constantly whining about having to deal with people in any way shape or form in seeming to need a safe space because he's an introvert. Basically please cut down on the whining it's irritating a shit and as somebody who's both an introvert and a bit of a shut-in if this is how you are real life and not a horrible exaggeration then you're a lot worse off than simply being an introvert.
Frank Horrigan chapter 12 . 6/5/2017
I was bored and half drunk. I only firgured out it finished due to me being drunk again.
Potato man the semi omnipotent chapter 12 . 6/5/2017
1. A good insert of someone who isn't wimpy like Saito.
the references.
runes twisting his mind but that's more of a 'screw the well written villain' than anything else.
realistic reactions that a real person would have as opposed to a crap anime protagonist.
really anything i can think of besides rbeing a crap dancer.
lost yet.
chapters being so long. Its hard to find time to read them conveniently
fact the protagonist isn't a OP Mary Sue.
character slowly becoming a Mary Sue.
kishinokurobi chapter 12 . 6/4/2017
Nice to see you're not dead buddy.

1- Funny description.
2- Interesting AU.
3- I feel like the lies havn't bitten you in the ass enough. Also I don't know how anyone doesn't think Kirche is best girl. You're gay man. lol.
4- Pretty funny. Interesting AU. You don't have an inflated opinion of yourself.
5- Can't really think of anything.
6- Random wifi connection at the start. If that doesn't come back super hard as a plot thread I'll be so disappoint.
7- You as a person.
8- You as a person.
9- A good story.
10- The fact that I knew you wouldn't choose best girl. No one chooses best girl. She's clearly best girl though.

Happy to see you finish the first part. I look forward to seeing crazy AU stuff happen hopefully.

Also is Louise actually blond in this story? Because pink hair isn't blond. It's pink. Not blond. Pink.

Also I wonder if for once the marriage will actually happen. That would be a twist.

Peace,
-Elliot S
FateBurn chapter 12 . 6/4/2017
Great chapter
Ruinus chapter 12 . 6/4/2017
1. What did you come to read the story for?
I like FoZ crossovers, and this seemed original.

2. What stood out the most in the story?
The OC's relationship with Siesta.

3. What did you not like?
I'll answer this in 6.

4. What did you like?
Just about everything, actually.

5. Where did something in the story hit home?
Mmmh, I'm not sure the story ever did hit anything particularly close to me.

6. Where did the story lose you?
Guiche and Kirche's engagement. It came out of nowhere and seemed to betray the plotline with the Mirror Shield.

7. What's the story's worst trait?
The update speed.

8. What's the story's best trait?
I liked all of it, so I can't really pick out a single thing.

9. What did you most want from the story?
Entertainment. And I got that.

10. What did you most dread about the story?
See 6. It really came out of left field for me and seemed pretty lame.
Guest chapter 11 . 4/2/2017
Nice writing good story and not to much drama I like it. :)
Silly-Scare-Crow chapter 11 . 3/3/2017
So glad I found this, can't wait for more
Ryu Gabriev chapter 11 . 2/13/2017
I actually turned away from this the first time I read it once I saw that you had access to internet and thus much modern Earth knowledge - Nerd in King Arthur's Court, in other words. Now I regret that decision, as I have found this immensely entertaining thus far. Please continue, and know I will be waiting with rapt interest. It has ben, as you hoped, NOT total shite.

P.S.: If it isn't much trouble, you mind sharing which html code you used for that one sentence in this chapter?