Reviews for Proof
Flamegirl22 chapter 1 . 8/7/2005
Amazing! Wonderfully writen. I'm a Christian but it made me stop and think. I thank you for that. I haven't been doing that enough lately. Do you mind if I print this out and stick it in my Bible? Let me know. It's nice to see other Christians out there on this site! Keep walking in Faith!

In Him

Julia451 chapter 1 . 2/1/2005
You are so right. if only we could all always remember what you said, we might have more success out there.
Anifan1 chapter 2 . 6/17/2003
I didn't know you updated this at first...great job. Love the use of faith; while you can give arguments supporting God's existence, you really have to trust trust in Him. You know, let go and let God. :)
Mummraa chapter 1 . 2/3/2003
Okay...glad you cleared that up. Maybe I was being oversensitive. I still don't quite agree with the point you're making, though-that it's arrogant not to believe in something because you can't perceive it. If we can't perceive something, and we have no way of measuring it or observing its effects, we have only one thing to rely on: what other people tell us. And really, how reliable is that? Especially when other people all have different ideas about the thing they perceive.

Not quite. He can feel vibrations. And what if everyone had something different to tell him about sound? What if no one could agree on what anything sounded like and argued ceaselessly about it, and fought wars over who was right about a certain sound? He might conclude that contemplating sound was not worth his time and he was fortunate to be deaf.
Eliana chapter 2 . 1/19/2003
*Sigh,* yet again I find myself here, trying to explain myself. I'm not sure whether it's my fault, that I'm simply not clear enough, though some people understood it, or whether people are so quick to defend what they believe, that they are quick to assume someone is offending them. Let me deal with reviewers first.

Point 1: I do not know where you got the impression I was calling you a hypocrite, BrainDamage. I never even mentioned the word.

Point 2: I only wrote the arrogant line in because I was trying to explain what I had mentioned in the first edition that got everyone upset. I AM NOT CALLING ALL ATHEISTS ARROGANT. Reread the context it is used in.

"I've noticed that the people who live around me

Take very little notice of anything but themselves

"If God exists, why doesn't He show ME?"

"Why would God let all this happen to ME? He must not be real."

"I cannot see or feel God, so that must mean He is not real."

Can't you see the arrogance? The selfishness?

To assume since God cannot be proved to you,

He cannot exist, is very arrogant

Because it assumes that you know everything

That there is to know"

I thought I had explained myself, but I guess not. I think that believing God cannot exist JUST because you cannot see Him, or because He "refuses" to show Himself to you, is arrogant. Why? Because you do not know everything. Scientists do not know everything. Just because proof doesn't exist for something does not mean it isn't real. I am aware that it doesn't mean it does exist either, but at least allow some room for the possibilty of His existance. That's all I am asking for.

Point 3: Alright, not really a point, but I got a few notes of confusions from some reviewers, so I'll try to clarify certain points.

I brought up the movie The Matrix because it showed that we really can never be completely sure what is real. For all we know, we could be not really be here right now. I'm sorry if it disrupted the flow of the poem, but it was a point I wanted to make, but couldn't figure out how to make it fit, so I did the best I could.

When I talked about textbooks and history, I was trying to show that what we "know" we really take on faith. So, believing in something based wholely on faith is not too different than believing in something that has been "proved."

Okay, that's the best I can do. I won't apologize for anything I said, because it's what I believe, but I will say that I'm sorry if it offended you. That's never what I mean to do, but it seems to happen unintentionally.
Mummraa chapter 1 . 1/18/2003
I don't know where you heard that thing about the Earth, Zuzanny, but it's not true. The Earth's orbit brings it many miles closer to the sun during different times of the year. If that doesn't fry us, I don't see why a tiny tilt of the axis would.

I'm not sure what you meant about the pocketwatch becoming a VCR...are you talking about evolution? If so, I don't consider it a valid comparison, since pocketwatches don't reproduce.
Zuzanny chapter 2 . 1/18/2003
That is so true! To me it is obviouse God is our creator and protector, just from looking at the so called coincidence that is life on earth. For example I have heard it said in scientific circles that one degree either side of earth's axis would either fry or freeze the planet. Coincidence? Don't think so. And the beauty and design of the plants and animals and EVERYTHING, how could that all be accidental? I have also heard it said how can you get a VCR from a pocket watch? Can not happen. ( Ithink I'll leave it there or I'll have to write a post all of my own! tee hee!)
Wolf-Kin chapter 2 . 1/17/2003
I just want to say that this is absolutly beautiful. I'm sure many have written saying the same thing, but I nearly cryed when I read it. Again, very beautiful and true!
Byakuganchick chapter 1 . 1/14/2003
WHOO! I LOVE this! I'm printing it out right now. That was a great little essay. Way to go! *waves cheerleading pompom thingies*
HeLuvedMeFirst chapter 2 . 1/13/2003
I commend you for your insight, your depth, and your love.
BrainDamage chapter 1 . 1/13/2003 call us hypocrites because we don't believe in God.

In other words you condamn us because we believe in something else. We don't crticize your religion , we leave you and God alone , so why can't you leave us alone ? It's not fair.

WHHAT chapter 2 . 1/13/2003
I think that would make an awesome chain letter. I do have to disagree though... there is proof of God's existence. Look outside nature is proof, how everything works together so intricately, how the brain works, and how small we are compared top the whole universe, how could you not beleive? We live in a megalomanic society, people can't face the facts that they aren't the center of the universe.
Oreo chapter 2 . 1/12/2003
Well. You call those who trust science arrogant and selfish. Can't you see your own arrogance? There should be a mob around you yelling "hypocrite" until you realize how wrong you are. No, I don't have anything against Christianity. It's just those who choose to believe it (depite all logical fallacies-but I digress) are so quick to condemn what they themselves do.

O Brave New World that has such people in it!

...monkey in foam hat...
mokona chapter 2 . 1/12/2003
This is a very well stated story.

I often think that people can't understand God's love because it is infinate, while everything here on earth will eventually fade and everyone will forget.
Guest chapter 2 . 1/12/2003
How could you ask me to criticize such a fine piece of work? I can find no faults. Great job, I really enjoyed reading your meaningful poem.