Reviews for The Story of Us
chemfemme chapter 1 . 6/7/2016
It's a little sad that after a year, Sam can't call Carol and Daryl what he wants to say, but the relationships are there, most importantly. It's sweet to imagine Daryl getting to be a loving and proud father, moving past his biggest insecurities and longing to be with Sam and Carol more than anything, and Carol being loved by two people who truly appreciate her. While I enjoyed this whole story - now that I've finally read it all, lol - this chapter is still my favorite, for all the warm fuzzies. I could read chapters of the three of them living relatively ordinary lives and hitting all the ordinary milestones in the ZA.
chemfemme chapter 3 . 6/7/2016
Good setup for what's to come. I liked how Daryl shared his story about Morgan, to get her calm. That builds up for later chapters, when she finally reveals the truth to him, about Lizzie. Also how they clear the air about Rick. How Daryl feels they're closer than ever but she expects no sympathy there. On the show, it felt like her cooperation with Rick once they reached the ASZ - egging him on, practically - created a distance between her and Daryl.
chemfemme chapter 6 . 6/7/2016
This was tricky but you balanced it well. There are no villains here - not amongst the two couples, anyway - and everyone has valid concerns and fears. Tobin and Lisa offer a good home, and in the old world, they might seem ideal as parents; even in this time, they offer stability and emotional support. Carol and Daryl are both emotionally damaged, by their pasts and by choices they've been forced to make, but the fact they've survived them says a lot about how they would care for Sam and support him emotionally. Daryl says they would understand him better; perhaps, but it seems that Sam feels that they would, so he's made the choice. He attached himself to Carol early on, maybe because he sensed she would not spare herself to protect her loved ones.
chemfemme chapter 7 . 6/7/2016
Lisa has a point about Daryl's work being dangerous, but that has always been true - Rick was shot before the ZA, just doing his job. I liked how Carol jumped into action, organizing and directing helpers so quickly. And of course Daryl ends up on the front edge of danger, gulp.
chemfemme chapter 8 . 6/7/2016
Whew, after all the loss and fear, at least they get to be together and have some peace together.
chemfemme chapter 9 . 6/7/2016
Haha, kids in the bed are the best birth control! Poor Sam has had a rough road.
It's sweet how Daryl and Carol complement each other so much they recognize and help each other face down their fears about being good parents to Sam. Like Carol recognizing that Daryl's afraid of becoming like his father, and how he helped her earlier when she confessed what happened with Lizzie. They make a good team because together they're both stronger.
chemfemme chapter 10 . 6/7/2016
I read the first chapters of this story months ago, left a few reviews mid-way, then lost track of it. Today I sort of binge-read the whole story a few chapters at a time throughout the day. So in keeping with my weirdly scattered day and reading pattern so far, I'm going to review the chapters backwards, from end to beginning.

I loved how you drew their story to a close. Making their names official in the book with Deanna was sweet, and it felt like a marriage-adoption combined - no wedding is recognized until the papers are signed in front of the magistrate, anyway. Also, details like Daryl feeling he was no longer alone, and wishing they would call on the Walkie-talkie just to hear them, and how he can't keep secrets from Carol and Aaron. It's nice to imagine they get to be that "normal" together.
Tlozzy chapter 10 . 12/4/2015
Excellent
latinisdead chapter 1 . 11/23/2015
I think you nailed something here with Carol and Sam...she's so frightened right now in series 6 that she'll get too close and loose the guy. She's so scared from her losses
Jen chapter 10 . 11/3/2015
Being lazy about login, but I love this story. Is it bad that I wish it would happen on the show and they could adopt Sam? (And he would NEVER die because Carol would never be able to get over that). Which would then lead to exactly this scenario, Carol and Daryl FINALLY realizing what they have with each other.
Kikitha2210 chapter 10 . 10/6/2015
Oh... it's so cute! I love your McReedus stories, I think you actually have a real talent for these... like if you've born for write McReedus(?) hahahahaha but I love your Caryls too... I wish it would happen just like this in season six.
Guest chapter 10 . 10/5/2015
I fucking love it! It almost made me cry, they really would make a perfect little family ;)
I'm grinning like and idiot now hahah
TheRealSonia chapter 8 . 10/3/2015
Sam the cock blocker. lol
TheRealSonia chapter 7 . 10/3/2015
Oh shit! This chapter was a roller coaster of emotions!
TheRealSonia chapter 5 . 10/3/2015
About darn time Dixon! :-)