Reviews for The Barista
Iona chapter 9 . 12/5/2020
I just read this vignette again and noticed a bit of info...

Happy birthday, Kira!
Iona sg chapter 49 . 6/28/2020
Sometimes I wish I had read The Barista without knowing anything about Stargate. I could discover everything along with Kira rather than just seeing her take on what I already know. I'd miss out on all the in-jokes, but I could share her confusion and wonder and excitement as inexplicable things started to make sense. I could be surprised at what surprised her, worried and angsting with her when bad things happened to her friends. I could enjoy the Jack and Daniel show without really understanding it, like her. In the end, reaching this chapter, I'd be as shocked at the truth as Kira is. As it is, I just really really enjoyed this chapter.

Although outside POV fics are always fun, this one has something more. It's very easy to connect with the original characters, but they don't take over the fic to the point where it seems that the canon characters are just randomly tacked on for decoration.

Many thanked you that you didn't make Kira a Mary Sue, including me, but there's another thing you deserve praise for: the way you developed the character of Kira. In these last chapters she isn't quite the same person as the Kira of the early chapters - she has matured - but she's still easily recognisable as herself. Her quirky character and passion for history and languages are the same. That's very rare.

Ultimately, Kira, Stefan and your writing inspired me to write all these long-winded reviews and sometimes goofy comments. (I can't believe it took me almost a year to review. *g* )

The work you've done with this fic is simply amazing. I toast you with a can of sugar-free coffee-flavoured Coke. :)

Okay, back to this chapter.

I giggled, laughed and smirked. The sense of anticipation was wonderful. All the beating about the bush was annoying in a good way, and when the Moment came...

Let me briefly return to Epiphany (chapter 32). I was so happy that you didn't leave that up in the air. I loved how you placed hints of what Kira had discovered in many of the next chapters, but the return of Kira's 'bad drawing' here is the best. A lovely reminder that she'd already figured out what Daniel does, even if she couldn't remember. All the more because she had a feeling it was important. ... *giggles* She had the answer on her all the time.

I was actually bouncing for joy when I read this line: "In the back of my mind, I feel a huge oak door slowly opening – this sounded eerily familiar."

Sweet Daniel, he seemed as nervous as her at first; until he relaxed and started talking. ;) And this: "'Yes,' Daniel replies with finality, splaying his hands happily outwards in a universal 'eureka' way." It's the most perfect description of that gesture of his. It brought a clear image of him to my mind's eye.

Jack's even better. It's fun observing him when he's excited. He just can't hide his inner child when he's excited and there's lots of that part of him here.

I suppose you can say that The Barista (almost) ended as Jack, Daniel and Kira Show. :)
Iona sg chapter 48 . 6/26/2020
Cons! Cons must win! They're much better! Kira should stay right where she is. No need to look further. Absolutely no need. ... Anyway...

The first scene reminds me of my schoolyears. It's exactly the final week of school - nobody would be focused anymore. We would all be "just hanging around and half-heartedly doing our jobs", just like Victor's staff here. This scene feels like it's the final week of Barista; an occasion not nearly as happy, nor anticipated, as in school. *sniffles a little*

Great dialogue, though. I think I snickered at every line. They do rock; and not just at history.

But as this vignette is about the dinner and not historical trivia, let's talk dinner.

That invitation was a flop, wasn't it? LOL. Poor Kira, getting all confused. Adding all that faux-innuendo was quite evil. Evil, but very entertaining.

Didn't Kira say something about getting over her crush - several times? Well, this chapter and the next didn't exactly convince me of that. *g*

The dinner scene was nice, though.

"[...] and strange-looking artifacts from countries whose languages I can't even read! I mean don't get me wrong, it isn't like I can recognize every language in the world or anything, [...] there are artifacts here written in scripts I can't decipher at all!"

Is it odd that I find this adorable? Kira gets to see (actual) artifacts - pretty things to look at - and the first thing she thinks about are languages on them.

In fact, this passion for languages, as well as the (unofficial) crush and her wittiness are what makes her so endearing.

Lastly, one of my favourite lines from this vignette: "I feel like such an adult sharing a glass of wine with Daniel!"

More lastly: why did Jack have to interrupt just as it was getting interesting? *is off to read the next chapter*
Patricia chapter 51 . 6/21/2020
Hi. I'm sure you know that Stargate SG1 stories are scarce these days and I miss that. I was trawling through the few sites that hold mostly Sam and Jack fiction not so much Daniel stories. I suddenly remembered yours and wondered if you were still online. I had read this series quite sometime ago and entered your name. I was amazed and excited that there you were and the Barista series was still available. I've spent the last few weeks whilst on lockdown reading each chapter. I have to say that it kept me captivated just as each chapter did all those years ago. You have great story telling magic. I loved every minute I spent reading. It's a shame you didn't pick up where you left off after Meridien (you did promise). I hope you are well and thank you for writing what I thought was one of the best pieces of fanfiction written.
Thanks again.
Iona sg chapter 47 . 6/21/2020
Stefan's development as a character in these latter chapters is wonderful. I was pleasantly surprised by how much depth he turned out to have. He'd always appeared to be an 'ordinary' person, but he's obviously very perceptive and more intelligent than he lets on (on purpose).

In chapter 45 his and Kira's friendship seems closer and even more comfortable than before and here he's a true confidant.

Another pleasant surprise is Stefan's belief that Daniel isn't just some professor:

"'You think Daniel knows someone who works for the CIA ?' I ask.
'I think Daniel knows people,' Stefan replies with conviction.'Talk to him, Kree.'"

Hmmm... I wonder if he did his own research on Daniel.

(I love this piece of dialogue, by the way. "Kree" - he was being bossy without even knowing. *g*)

I also have to thank you for the introduction to this chapter. It's beautifully written.
Iona sg chapter 46 . 6/20/2020
The die is cast!

"'Where do you see her working, Daniel?'
'Here, Jack.'
'P7X-421?'"

LOL!

And yay! To P7X-421!

Kira's going to be invited to work where she belongs. Jack agrees. Daniel agrees. Yay!

I sorta expected it, yet I'm still bouncing with joy. Yay! :)

Oh, must add: all dialogues were funny too.
Iona sg chapter 45 . 6/19/2020
Vicissitude? 'Sudden change'? What change?! It seems Kira's life suddenly got turned upside down! Breaking up with her boyfriend, finishing her degree, about to leave Victor's... You piled all the changes about to happen to her into one long chapter and giving us poor readers a hint that The End Is Near!

The section that I loved most was the one where she goes to Denver. Especially the scene in the coffee shop. A perfect setting for Kira. Something familiar, but different; the former barista moving up the ladder. More than that, there was a sense of finality in this scene. It maybe drove home the point that Kira was moving on better than the hotel bit.

Kyle left. *sniff* It made perfect sense, though, given what we know about the two. Besides, he wasn't in the fic much. Perpetually away on some conference or other. (Or was he working on those Lego thingies? *g*) I love that scene and I'm not even sure why.

Poor Jack, all his secrets are almost revealed in this chapter - the bad guys' accent, the fact that he worked on Wormhole X-Treme!, and... "Those are the guys that go on 'ops' and do all the scary things in foreign countries. [...] Hmmm – that sounds like something Jack would do." *bg*

I didn't even realise Kira hadn't seen Daniel (and Jack) in fatigues before; it's funny - something so ordinary for us fans that I never thought about how odd it may seem to her.

The funny part was nice. Funny as well. "'Only instead of helping them out around here, apparently you do it on other worlds!' I'm cracking myself up here." Cracked me up too! :)

"International security! Wow. I can't even imagine working on something so important. I have to admit, that alone makes it sound very worthwhile."

Given where this fic is going, this seems so small.
Iona sg chapter 44 . 6/16/2020
Question: How would you rate this vignette on a scale of one to ten?
Answer: Can I use halves? 9.5 in that case. (It's a bit too short.)

Q: Who was your favourite new character?
A: Um... isn't this an ensemble vignette? Do I really have to pick just one? Elliot is fabulous, the story of Chris and Stefan ... *laughs out loud* and Allison is just adorable. It's an ensemble story, period. They're all favourites (I know, I'm a bad survey taker.)

Q: On a scale of one to ten, how funny do you think this vignette was?
A: Um... 10, but I'm biased. I love Kira's storytelling style. It makes everything funnier.

Q: On a scale of one to ten, How would you rate the following: characterisations, character interactions, characters' opinion of Wormhole X-Treme!, Kira's reaction to Dr. Levant?
A: Characterisations: 10. They're all so vivid (and with just a few descriptions and comments - great work!).
Character interactions: 10
Characters' opinion of Wormhole X-Treme: 8; it was fun to read, but they weren't being very nice.
Kira's reaction: 10. I liked how it started with the familiar quote and how she couldn't forget about it until the end - just brilliant.

Q: Do you like Wormhole X-Treme!?
A: Are you kidding? I'm a total fan. That's why this vignette is my second favourite Barista story.

Q: Which quote was your favourite?
A: Tough to say, so many great lines. The "she looks rather 'normal' and isn't some gorgeous blonde babe in overly tight clothing whose previous career was modeling lingerie" had me in stitches, though. It's even funnier if you go back to the early vignettes and notice hints that Kira first considered Sam more 'a gorgeous blonde babe' than 'normal'. (The soap opera bits were very funny too.)

Q: Would you read more Barista stories?
A: Of course! I'd love to!
Iona sg chapter 3 . 6/14/2020
I wasn't going to review this chapter at first, because to be honest, there's not much in it. But since I'll have reviewed all others, I decided to say a little something anyway.

I love going back to these early vignettes when the characters barely knew each other. It's always fun to observe how the fic evolves.

Actually, this chapter - along with most others - has something that's worth mentioning: one of the little details that make Barista special is that you always specify coffee types; you never just say 'coffee'. It's interesting and it adds sort of a distinct (coffee, of course) flavour to the fic. :)
irat chapter 51 . 6/14/2020
thanks for writing. I enjoyed it a lot!
irat chapter 30 . 6/14/2020
I love reading letters, so I really liked this chapter!
just a small note: Kira has Daniels E-Mail adress... a couple of chapters before he gave it to her so she can send her essay to him...
irat chapter 19 . 6/14/2020
you inspired me to watch episode 1969 right away. :)
irat chapter 16 . 6/13/2020
perfect chapter
Iona sg chapter 43 . 6/12/2020
I love this little intermezzo. Jack and Daniel Show - nothing more, nothing less and all of it funny. The bit about Jack getting shot is one of my favourite odd conversations in the Show. It becomes even funnier if I try to put myself into Kira's shoes (i.e. someone not in the know). Of course, I'm enjoying Kira enjoying herself too. The Jack and Daniel Show is definitely one of the funniest elements of Barista. Stefan's pilot television show has nothing on them! *bg*
Iona sg chapter 42 . 6/11/2020
"I think words like "surreal" were invented for just such an occasion."

LOL. I love Kira's wit! Yep, 'surreal' applies to this chapter, even though it's a perfectly ordinary one at first glance. So many of these tiny oddish moments among lots of the normal. A little bit of electricity, a little bit of uncanny resemblance... Also, Kira's weird friends; but at least they're adorable. :)

Speaking of weird friends, is Daniel testing her for employment with the "crazy 'what if' scenarios"? Using the real scenarios? Not knowing he's already got competition? Oh, boy!

And speaking of the competition... You're sneaky. Get Kira thinking outside the box, confusing us poor readers, and in the next (this) chapter you provide an example of what her skills might be useful for: "...I have great hearing. Plus, the whole linguist thing means I'm pretty good at discerning conversations. Even conversations I'm probably not supposed to hear."

This whole subplot is great. It's exciting and Kira's uncertainty makes everything less straightforward and hard to predict. (Well, not really. It's obvious she belongs with the SGC. *g* )

Nice to see a scene with Cassie too.

And lastly, a special mention for Q... oops, I mean Colonel Simmons. *g* You managed to put everything we dislike about Mr. Jerk in one little scene. A very funny scene, though.
1,798 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »