Reviews for The Barista
Iona sg chapter 43 . 6/12/2020
I love this little intermezzo. Jack and Daniel Show - nothing more, nothing less and all of it funny. The bit about Jack getting shot is one of my favourite odd conversations in the Show. It becomes even funnier if I try to put myself into Kira's shoes (i.e. someone not in the know). Of course, I'm enjoying Kira enjoying herself too. The Jack and Daniel Show is definitely one of the funniest elements of Barista. Stefan's pilot television show has nothing on them! *bg*
Iona sg chapter 42 . 6/11/2020
"I think words like "surreal" were invented for just such an occasion."

LOL. I love Kira's wit! Yep, 'surreal' applies to this chapter, even though it's a perfectly ordinary one at first glance. So many of these tiny oddish moments among lots of the normal. A little bit of electricity, a little bit of uncanny resemblance... Also, Kira's weird friends; but at least they're adorable. :)

Speaking of weird friends, is Daniel testing her for employment with the "crazy 'what if' scenarios"? Using the real scenarios? Not knowing he's already got competition? Oh, boy!

And speaking of the competition... You're sneaky. Get Kira thinking outside the box, confusing us poor readers, and in the next (this) chapter you provide an example of what her skills might be useful for: "...I have great hearing. Plus, the whole linguist thing means I'm pretty good at discerning conversations. Even conversations I'm probably not supposed to hear."

This whole subplot is great. It's exciting and Kira's uncertainty makes everything less straightforward and hard to predict. (Well, not really. It's obvious she belongs with the SGC. *g* )

Nice to see a scene with Cassie too.

And lastly, a special mention for Q... oops, I mean Colonel Simmons. *g* You managed to put everything we dislike about Mr. Jerk in one little scene. A very funny scene, though.
Handers chapter 4 . 6/6/2020
Nice story & format on the first few chapter I read, hopefully it stays that way :)
Iona sg chapter 41 . 3/29/2020
"…and then Dr. Feldman..."

- - - I read this as Felger. LOL!

"I really am listening to him. It's just that I'm not finding it particularly interesting."

- - - Ah, if only she knew that it was related to Daniel's and Jack's work...

"And it's fantastic that he's working on this great "secret" project... "

- - - Hmmm... All people around Kira (except Stefan) seem to have something to do with that secret project. It's fate! *looks innocent*

"Did it come with any of those cute little Lego men as well?"

- - - Oh, the image! ROFL

" "I think it's great that your job is meaningful and challenging…" I pause as I realize something very, very important."

- - - I love this. A little sneaky thing on your part, nudging Kira in the right direction.

This establishes her as a scholar. The curiosity and the drive towards learning put career high on her list of things that matter and make her worthy of where we know/assume she'll end up. It's way better than her getting there just because she's the protagonist. Plus, this curiosity is one of the things that make her endearing. :)

"[Daniel] always has this slightly cautious, 'what are you going to ask of me now' voice when he talks on the phone with Jack."

- - - Yup. As we know, Jack's plans for others whenever he's left to his own devices can be... um... challenging. *innocent look again* So cute.

" "Weird, classified story, Kira," Daniel replies [...] God, I love the fact that for some things he doesn't even try to make things up!"

- - - I love... no, adore, how you brought their relationship to this point. Daniel's completely honest about what he can tell her and Kira accepts the secrecy readily. It feels - to me, at least - oddly cozy.

"I stare at the screen for several long minutes debating the pros and cons of hitting that innocuous little button."

- - - I like the tension in this sentence. You just know that button's gonna bite! There's no turning back.

"Because there ain't nothing more outside the box than this!"

- - - A really clever twist. As far outside the box as one can go. Ingenious.

Great chapter. One of my favourites.
Iona sg chapter 40 . 3/20/2020
Aw. Poor Daniel went from one withdrawal to another. ...

What are your favourite words of praise? The bit with Daniel, coffee and Stefan is worthy of each, repeated several times. And told by Kira with her narrating superpowers... perfection. It's one of the wittiest sections of the entire fic.

"Stefan [...] replies in the only way he can. "The pleasure was all mine, man." I nearly lose it right there."

Same with me. (In fact, I'm not sure which cracked me up more - this one or Daniel cursing (I presume) in Abydonian.)

I like Kyle. Even though he usurped a bit of this story - with a good reason. It's nice to see Kira got a good boyfriend this time. Not to mention that everything we learn about him makes him look like a great catch. :)
Sierra-Falls chapter 14 . 3/9/2020
Friend ordering: "Java, Kree!"
SG-1 and co: wat?!
Iona sg chapter 39 . 2/28/2020
"Category Shock and Awe"
I adore this invention! It fits this chapter so perfectly.

Otherwise, what can I say, except:
Magnificent scenes where people and situations are not themselves might reveal great skill, but true understanding is found in a pot of coffee.

(Well... Something like that. *smiles*)
Iona sg chapter 38 . 2/24/2020
This is so cool. :) I felt the buzz of being invited to business class right along with Kira. That, and the utter and complete coolness of Daniel being a VIP.

" "Daniel, you have the power to alter flight traffic," I finally say."

He's with the Air Force. Of course he has that power. *g*

"I smile at the notion, and absently wonder if Jack or Sam knows how to fly. [...] That would be so cool!"

This line made me smile. :) If the previous chapter contains the image of Daniel with a gun, this one has Jack and Sam flying planes. But why does Kira like this idea and not the other one? *looks innocent*

"... Daniel explains. "I had all these crazy ideas…"
"You mean about the Egyptian pyramids being built a few thousand years before they were supposed to?" "

Chapter 32! She did remember something! Yay! :)

"You pretty much dropped off the face of the earth after 1995..."

Heh. Literally. It's been a few chapters since the last of these moments where she accidentally figures out. Though I'm not so sure now that it's entirely accidental.
"I'm totally fishing here. Who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky."
Either way, they'll always be among my favourite bits.

Not that I didn't like the previous chapters (see my reviews...), but it was good to read another vignette that's mostly Kira and Daniel chatting. They have such a comfortable friendship. Still, it's great that you keep a bit of a distance between them (e.g. the last scene here) - the relationship never becomes unpalatable to a fan reader, especially since Kira's an OC. Reading the reviews, I don't think anyone (including me) has praised - or thanked - you for that specifically and you deserve it. It's these little, seemingly unimportant, details that make the difference between a good and a great piece of fiction.
Iona sg chapter 37 . 2/20/2020
Lots of lovely things to be found in this chapter.

The beginning is a good overview of Kira and Daniel's off-work friendship with plenty of hints about how much he actually enjoys teaching. Not the least his calendar - it's something outside work that's important to him, even if he doesn't (get to) do much of it.

Then there's the genius of dealing with the episode aftermath with nothing but a few wrong names. Very subtle, very powerful; it works just as well as a lenghty conversation would. ... It makes sense that it would take some time for them to stop mixing up the two sets of memories.

Your characterization skills are amazing. I think this is one of the best General Hammond portrayals I've ever read in a fic. I loved the scene too.

"I shake my head trying to dispel the image of Daniel with a gun. Boy, does that just seem wrong!"

Kira! ! ! *laughs out loud* dietcokechic, you're evil. Just evil. *g*

Also, love the Christmas ditty cameo. *eg*
Iona sg chapter 36 . 1/21/2020
Even though this vignette looks plain at the first glance, it's actually a little different, special. The Wizard of Oz themed golf thingy makes it a bit surreal. As does this:
"Nothing says team building like miniature golf."

*giggles* I can easily imagine Jack thinking that. An added bonus is the mental image of Teal'c dressed in golfing attire.

The five-way narrative works really well for this story. I think it gives the reader a better overview of the story because the characters are each preoccupied with their own problem. We'd get an incomplete and very tinted (and tainted *g*) view of the events if you stuck to any single one if them. It also gives the impression of each character taking their turn playing. Given the plot, that's perfect.

I liked that it was Sam who was the voice of reason this time.

Poor Kira. At least Jack was there to save her. His chivalry towards her is adorable, strange as it may sound. (Jack O'Neill, adorable... hmm...) Now he's her bodyguard too.

"And you were the one who wouldn't get off the damn boat!"

A spaceboat! :)

" "Jack, I think I love you," I say to my rescuer, as I skip down the yellow brick road towards Daniel, Sam and Murray."

Good use of the yellow brick road, btw. *g*

So in the end Jack saved Kira from a date from hell and in return she saved his friendship with Daniel. :)
Iona sg chapter 35 . 1/12/2020
OMG! I haven't laughed like this when reading a story in... ever.

Stefan has a great knack for the funny. The way he describes things is hilarious. His flirting for fun is... *breaks down in laughter again* Poor Daniel.

Stefan's stories are the Barista version of dessert - chocolate coffee cake with caramel macadamia paste, vanilla scented whipped cream and almond sauce. (If I made anyone hungry, sorry; also if opposite.) A rich over-the-top indulgence. :) :)

""Triple tall macadamia almond mocha," I reply.
"I can't drink this!" Daniel laughs, sliding the drink back my way."

I'll have it if he won't. Mmmmm.

But seriously, I love the sliding game that follows this. Reminds me of that Jack and Daniel's did-not/did-too exchange (in 'Fifth Race', I think). The way Stefan won here was great too. Very sneaky. *bg*

Even whump through Stefan's eyes is different, including the most unusal description in all the whump I've ever read - "that slightly gaunt quasi-supermodel look about his face." *snickers* A good description, though.
Iona sg chapter 34 . 12/30/2019
You wrote one of the the most normal Barista chapters for one of the most abnormal SG-1 episodes. *g* And both were fun. (Now I'm wondering if Jack and Teal'c went to Victor's during a loop or two... )

Nice touch with the glimpses of Kira's 'groundhog' day too...

Jack's cheerfulness is so infectious. Jack's happiness made Kira happy. That, in turn, makes me happy each time I read this vignette. The entire Kira and Jack Show does.

Actually, this story was pure Kira and Jack Show *and* Jack and Daniel Show with a little Kira-and-Daniel thrown in - just what this fic is about. If I had to pick a chapter other than the first (maybe even including that one) to introduce The Barista to a new reader, this one would be it.

"Off loops? "Jack, I can't believe you just said that!" Daniel admonishes, looking shocked."

I adore this conversation. (Won't copy the whole thing.)

"Discovered a new deep space telemetry astral body?"

ROTFLOL!

Now; having read this chapter... I'm hungry. You made me hungry. You're a sneaky person, dietcokechic; making people fat like this. *goes off to see what's in the fridge* :)
Iona sg chapter 33 . 12/19/2019
Oh, sweet Daniel! He feels for Sam and blames himself for not doing enough to prevent what happened.

I found the entire conversation about the episode's events poignant somehow. I can't even explain why. Wonderful writing.

Martouf is not an obvious choice when dealing with Divide and Conquer, but that event would have as much impact as the 'lie detector' part. It made for a wonderful vignette.

The fact that Kira thinks Sam could be dead implicitly lets us know that she realises their work is dangerous (bodyguards...), even if she doesn't know for certain.

" "She isn't fine." Seeing my face crumple once again, he quickly goes on, "But she will be Kira. Sam will be fine soon." "

I love how you used this beautiful thought from the show. It fits perfectly here.

My favourite funny bit was Kira guessing what sort of an excuse she'll be offered this time.

"Heh, maybe he'll use the old, "the aliens made him do it" - definitely a crowd pleaser!"

Anise! *snicker* (Kira really is clairvoyant.)

I did, however, find it a little odd that Daniel didn't flinch at the " Kree". ;)
Iona sg chapter 32 . 12/10/2019
*looks at today's date* Happy Barista anniversary!

In honour of this day (mostly by coincidence) I'm reviewing my favourite chapter.

It has everything. Kira finding out what Daniel does; figuring it out herself, actually. Her outside POV of Daniel's speech from the movie. Her witty commentary, even wittier here with her drunk mind going in all directions. All it's missing is some whump.

...

Come to think of it, that's not true: you whumped Kira!

Moreover, this vignette is a 'clip show' chapter! This must be unique in the world of fanfiction.

That picture of hers is an ingenious addition too. A visual that connects to this epiphany.

"Aliens building the pyramids of Giza ! Can you imagine such a sight!"
They probably employed slaves. I can just imagine the temper tantrums the Goa'uld would throw if they had to do the work themselves... *eg*

The passage where the epiphany strikes is one if the best parts of the entire Barista and it bears repeating without commentary:
"Daniel's theory wasn't just a theory! He's an alien archaeologist and Jack and Sam are his military body guards! That's it! I'm right! I know, I am!"

*giggles*

Pity she forgot what she'd discovered. A brilliant twist, though.

I have the best time every time I read this chapter.
Iona sg chapter 31 . 12/9/2019
Kira's back home! Yay! *g*

This way we get to read the funniest welcome-back scene. I loved the two talking gossip and Stefan's so amusingly obnoxious.

" "Victor is dating a younger woman," Stefan says scandalously,"

ROTFLOL! I can almost hear him in my mind's ear. Perfect adverb!

What can I say about the O'Malley's scene? I laughed here as much as I laughed when watching the ep... I bet they wrote Upgrades just for that scene. Too funny regardless of the POV.

And since we know Kira likes to go there to witness interesting scenes involving our favourite team, it only makes sense she'd find herself right there and then. (Aha! You gave her ESP and never pointed it out. *g*) Pity she didn't bring Stefan along, though; I'd love to read *those* comments.

"Jack has that total, 'I can kick your ass without working up a sweat' air about him."

Is there a better description of Jack?

"I must have had more to drink then I thought, because I swear I saw Jack and Daniel tossing 200 pound guys around like they were a sack of potatoes!"

I know I'm repeating myself but this was too funny.

"As I'm getting into the cab, I think of the perfect line, "Hi Daniel, beat up any bullies lately?" "

LOL! ... He does that for a living, btw. ;)
1,800 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »