Reviews for The Barista
Iona sg chapter 30 . 11/29/2019
I always like letter (and memo) fics so it's natural I loved this one. The idea of Kira and Daniel being old-fashioned made me chuckle. ... But maybe they are. Just a bit. :) I can easily imagine Kira writing a letter by hand and Daniel playing along. I also liked how this inspired her classmates to write their own letters.

So, letters...

What I liked most about the first letter was how you used spices to introduce Egypt. Just a mention of them and I could almost see a warm country and its atmosphere, its smells and maybe even its sounds. And the idea of Kira wanting to learn to cook just for the spices... actually, not odd at all.

Why would it be bizarre that Daniel has his own doctor? As all fans know, he needs one. *g*

How were the pyramids built? *giggles* I love these Kira-almost-getting-it moments.

"I'm afraid I'm as long-winded with the pen as I am in person."

This fic reader says not long-winded enough.

One good side of the letters format is that we get many different funny bits. Like Stefan trying to flirt with Daniel. LOL!

"... there might be more to the pyramids than just some really large rocks."

Ha! Rocks! Jack's definitely rubbed off on him. *g*

Nice to see Siler getting a mention too.

"I told Jack that you had requested that I give him a big hug, and he just looked at me funny and said, "I don't think so Daniel." He went on to tell me that he'll just collect that hug from you when you return."

ROTFLOL! I can just imagine Jack's expression. This must be the funniest bit of this chapter.

"His name is Mosi and he's super cute! Sorry, I know you don't care if he's cute or not—that just came out."

*chuckles* This was so cute. :)

Poor Daniel. He seems to be missing something all through this letter. First the 'minor' infection that keeps him away from the field. Then this:

" You'll have to tell me about your archaeology class! Who's teaching it? What are you studying? Will you go on any digs? Can I come? smile"

He's missing the good old run-of-the-mill archaeology. It's an adorable, very Daniel-like bit, but there seems to be something wistful behind these lines too.

Oooooh... He's sending Kira chocolate? I want a friend like that. *g*

This was such a lovely letter about Jack and Daniel's friendship.

Did Jack even have an office before S8? Good reason why "Take your Barista to work day" wouldn't work here.
Iona sg chapter 29 . 11/19/2019
Poor Daniel! A whump nicely written, though.

I just realised that most of Barista h/c involves Kira phoning Jack. No wonder that by this point she knows all steps to getting to him. *g* You even upped the game this time by making Janet participate.

I liked how the story went from Kira (trying to) comforting Daniel to Jack comforting Kira. These three make a good team. (Kira on Daniel: "You know if he wasn't so darn cute and one of my favorite people..." and on Jack: "I knew I liked Jack for a reason!" )

" "Hey." Daniel says squinting up at Jack.
"Hey." Jack says in return. Oooo- big talkers these two."

How else could it be? It's the Jack and Daniel show - if one can't say much, the other one shouldn't either. ;)
Iona sg chapter 28 . 11/9/2019
Yay, Jack's back! :) :)

When was the last time I mentioned how much I love how you write Jack? Too long, definitely.

I liked how you spread out the Jack's-missing plot over several chapters (more effective than a one-off), but I'm glad he's in this fic again. I sensed real fondness between him and Kira in the scene where he comes to the shop... I suppose that's why I adore this friendship so much. Easygoing, but they connect really well.

I see this vignette mostly as a reunion story between Jack and Kira and yet 100 Days and Shades of Grey become neatly woven into one another. Not an immediately obvious combination of stories that works.

"I know Jack must have said goodbye, but Daniel sure didn't."

I have no idea how to express the adoration for this line. So simple, yet it carries so much meaning.

And its longer version:

"Daniel and Jack sure seem to have a complicated relationship; I have lost track of the number of timesbthey have been worried about one another. Pissed at one another seems to come up fairly frequently as well."

The two, in a nutshell.

The ending was perfect. I wouldn't say you wimped out; it was simply the most appropriate place to end. I think this is sorta like what I said about chapter 24 and FIAD - an important ep but not really Kira's. And she's not that nosy! :)

"Still, I know I'm not getting the whole story here, so I'll just make sure my friends know that I'm here if they need a sympathetic ear..or large quantities of caffeine."

This is another reason to love Kira. She just accepts the secrets, trusts the guys they know what they're doing and offers whatever support she can.
Iona sg chapter 27 . 10/29/2019
This vignette has such a lovely air of warmth despite the heavy mood.

Talk about coming down! Even though Kira's path to graduation didn't seem like much of a high.

"They'll mail it to me in a couple of weeks after they are certain I don't have any overdue books or anything."
This couldn't have helped either. How banal, bizarre and trivial and bureaucratic this sounds. Sure, there's a ceremony later, but six months later it's more of an afterthought than something worthwhile. Poor Kira!

I never imagined that a funk could be amusing, but I found her sarcastic musings at the beginning entertaining despite her blues. I felt for her and I smiled occasionally too.

You chose the perfect time for Kira to learn about Daniel's parents - both because of the theme (his past and the circumstances of his education) and the mood reserved for this vignette.

" "Now I know what Jack must feel like when we're off.." He pauses for just the slightest of seconds before continuing. "Off on a mission and I ask a lot of questions.""
I adore these tiny moments when they almost falter.

I liked the whole dialogue about the diploma/degree very much. No superfluous thoughts and facts, lovely flow... and all the key points got a mention. You have a great flair for dialogues.

I didn't even realise that this was the Millennium December until I got to that line. Made me try to remember what I did on that date. :) (Btw, snow for Christmas? I'm jealous.)

" "It's December 15th Daniel! Everyone is home with their families!" I reply a little sharply. Daniel's face falls a little and I mentally kick myself for being the fool. Not only does Daniel apparently have no parents. But now his wife is dead and his best friend is missing. Some Christmas he's having. God, I'm a horrible person aren't I?"
*sniff* This really gets to me. One doesn't really think about it, but it must've been the worst time for him.

And thus, along with the Daniel's high school/college bit, the story went from making me feel for Kira to making me feel really bad for Daniel; even though the vignette was about her blues and not his.
Iona sg chapter 26 . 10/26/2019
Yay, Stefan's back! :)

I like how this chapter ends up being about Kira's crush on Daniel even though that's not obvious at the first glance. How she keeps denying it the whole chapter - mostly to herself.

"Maybe I can turn this around to my advantage."

Kree! (I always wanted to say that. *g*)

"What will you give me in return Dr. Jackson?"

"I'll answer any three questions you have about me.."

She traded favours for questions? Kira, being a Greek fan, should know by now that asking Daniel something is like asking an oracle - come with a question and leave with a vague answer and two new questions.

She did get something out of it this time, though:

"My mouth drops open on its own accord and I stare at him in awe. Daniel, you are my hero! My linguistic hero!"

...I love these lines. No more crush... Definitely... Riiiight. *g*

" "That would technically be three questions Kira; how many languages do I speak; how many languages do I read and how many languages do I write?" "

Semantic nitpicker!

I love the dialogue at the end - the part regarding the last question - too. Plus the conclusion that Daniel's job is strange and dangerous. LOL! True, as well.
Iona sg chapter 25 . 10/23/2019
Oh boy! At first I thought this was going to be another angsty chapter. The universe was out to get Kira and Kira was out to get Daniel. I think this was the first time that she was this irked by him.

But then... the Jack and Daniel Show started! What better way to diffuse a difficult situation! I had to smile along with Kira. It was refreshing to return to the fun after a number of angsty chapters.
Iona sg chapter 24 . 10/22/2019
Poor Sam! She seems to have an even harder time here than after Jacob (chapter 15). Your Sam angst is excellent. You got her worries, frustration and feelings of helplessness across well.
And to top it all off, she got kree'd too! :)

The interaction between Jack and Sam was so adorable in this installment. How sweet it was that they both had the same plan for cheering up their teammate.

I'd actually prefer a 1st person story - I missed Kira's commentary. There are obvious advantages to the 3rd person narrative, however:

a) Please don't hate me for saying this, but I think FIAD isn't really a part of Kira's story. It's an intimate story for SG-1 and Janet. It is an important episode, though, especially for Daniel (he's the second main character of this fic after all), so it makes sense to include it anyway. Using 3rd person narrative distanced Kira from FIAD while still making her an active participant in this chapter. (Does this make any sense?)

b) It offered the opportunity to add some lighthearted moments which a worried Kira wouldn't note.
The leather. Jack drinking Sam's coffee. A little bit of worry for the houseplants. Soundalike phrases like "large bin of coffee beans". :)

c) There's more room for other (Jack's...) views than just Kira worrying about Daniel and feeling sympathy for Sam. This alone is a good enough reason to use the 3rd person narrative.

Nice to see Teal'c mentioned too. He often gets left out of FIAD fics and I think it's just as important an ep for him as it is for Daniel.
Iona sg chapter 23 . 10/9/2019
Forgot a sentence. I wanted to write: in Jack-safe quantities *and* in Jack's style. *g*
Iona sg chapter 23 . 10/8/2019
You said something about Jack talking about what happened in this chapter's episode... Where, exactly? He didn't. See! Look!

"We're not going there."
"Daniel, we are not going to discuss it."
"I'm sure that would go over really well."
"This is something I *totally* need to delegate Daniel."
"What Carter and I have to deal with is absolutely nothing compared to what Dr. Carter went through. What Dr. Carter is going through right now."

... ahem... uh... well... ah... I take it back. He did discuss it. In Jack-safe quantities.

But seriously; great dialogue. It never became too mushy or too detached or even too long-winded. Add a little sprinkling of good-natured evil in Daniel - it's all too rare we see that side of him - and it's perfect.

I'm not an SJ shipper and I can confirm this isn't too shippy. Or at all - I easily read it as a gen.

However, I liked how you added romeo and juliet! They seemed so out of place in this story with their romantic bar oblivion and lack of troubles that they changed the mood of the fic nicely.
Iona sg chapter 22 . 10/1/2019
I know this fic takes place in a public space and any character can come in, but did you really have to send in MacKenzie?!

Attempts at joke aside, this was one of the best chapters. I won't say I enjoyed it - the angst was too perfect. :) You've done a great job with it. It's the most intense chapter so far. A comparison between the first few chapters and this one, the difference between the lightness of those and the serious approach to this one, illustrates the large scope of this fic. A part of what makes it so great - like the show itself.

The part with Daniel and McKenzie made me think of a western standoff for some reason. The tension in it was just perfect. Yeah, Daniel's anger can look pretty impressive. And how you ended this conversation with McKenzie trying to get in the last word! So so him.

In fact, your portrayal of McKenzie in general is great; both the characterisation through the dialogue and Kira's observations. If I hadn't seen a single scene with him in it and only read this fic, I'd imagine him exactly as he was.

The phone call from Jack was a treat too. Trust Jack to make the mere idea of answering a phone scary. *g*

I also love the progression of this chapter - how Kira slowly learns of what had happened piece of info by piece of info; how she understands everything by the end, even without the details.

Also... *eg*... she now knows what it's like to write a fic. Her description of writing an academic paper sounds a lot like writing a fic, just with less making stuff up.

"I know one day it will be pretty normal to hear cell phones ringing right and left, but it still strikes me as strange when a phone goes off when someone is standing in line for their morning latte."

Heh. It's so funny reading this in 2019.

But most of all, I love this send-off:
"And with that Daniel exits the coffee shop and heads back to his life in that stuffy old mountain up the street."
Iona sg chapter 21 . 9/24/2019
*chuckles* Small planet!

"Once again I feel like Jack and Daniel are having some hugely significant conversation disguised as idiotic banter."

Great line; you could easily use it as a summary for this chapter. Jack and Daniel's conversations in private seem to be even more bizarre than the ones meant for the general public. *g*
Iona sg chapter 20 . 9/21/2019
He told her the truth! LOL! Ingenious twist.
And she doesn't believe him. Maybe I should say he hid the truth in plain sight. *bg*

I never mentioned something I really should have. A large part of this story's charm is Kira's journey through the higher education labyrinth. It's quite an interesting subplot on its own; has a nice pace and sometimes more twists and turns than Daniel's stories. But not often. ;)

All those classes' names in this chapter made my head spin a little even though I got the basic idea. (Are they for real?)
Iona sg chapter 19 . 9/13/2019
I'm not sure what I found more amusing about this chapter - the fact that SG-1 let their secret conversation be a little less secret than usual or Jack's show of his anti-hiding skills. *bg*

"I guess it makes sense that Jack and Daniel are friends. I mean, they don't seem to have a damn thing in common except a weird military connection and their attractiveness."

LOL! This is so not correct and such an accurate observation at the same time.

"...reminiscing about some 60's party they had gone too. The conversation didn't make a lot of sense, as I would only hear bits and pieces of conversation before having to help another customer."

I bet it would make even less sense if she heard it all.
Iona sg chapter 18 . 9/10/2019
This is a beatuiful vignette. Possibly the most beautiful one in the entire series.

I must confess something. Much as I love the interaction between Kira and Daniel, scenes with Kira and Jack are my favourites. They play so well off each other. In the previous chapter Jack remarked that Kira's a female Daniel. Maybe that's why. :)
Iona sg chapter 17 . 9/7/2019
Good choice of the POV. Your Jack is perfect. You nicely mixed in that depth-in-humour he has - whenever he makes a joke it's more meaningful than 'deep' monologues. (I always thought Stargate worked its characters better than any other show because of this; and not only with Jack.) I really feel for him too, having to point out even to himself that he knows 'big' words. Nice addition to the (closet) amateur astronomer Jack of canon.

I also enjoyed how the tables turned and Kira ended up on the other side of the POV. It was a stroke of genius and made this fic even more vivid and entertaining.

Although he didn't have much to say, I loved Teal'c here too. Particularly his ever-so-subtle humour.

" "Actually Danny, you did good." I say sincerely. "I know you may not like to admit it, but you really are turning into a decent soldier." "

Nice catch! I'm a bit bugged by the view that, even in later seasons, Daniel's a clumsy guy who needs to be protected in the field. I've always had the impression that he's adept enough at soldier stuff (and not repulsed by it) even at this point in canon.

Despite all I said, my absolutely and utterly favourite part was the one about Janet working late. Incorrigible whumper here. 0:)
1,800 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »