Reviews for The Barista
Iona sg chapter 16 . 9/1/2019
Ah, the one where Stefan scares the tough guys. *g*

Good idea using language as a twist of sorts. It's nice to see that, especially if you like languages.

The part with Kree where, like in chapter 7, Kira alternated between the serious (surprise and confusion here) and the light (appreciation of Daniel) cracked me up.

"I'll betcha we have some sort of planetary 'Do Not Disturb' sign posted on the outskirts of our solar system.
"I wish." Jack mumbles."

Civilian, Jack. Tsk tsk. (Yep, the line from chapter 5 just had to be paraphrased.)

"I believe, a long time ago, aliens paid us a visit, deemed us too immature and warlike and decided to leave us alone for another couple millenniap. I mean it makes sense, look at..."

Stefan! Pick the right time, will you?! I'd love to see what Kira's proof was.
Iona sg chapter 15 . 8/31/2019
Poor Sam. The fact that she let so many little details slip told what she went through more than anything else. Although, for some reason my favourite part of this vignette are Kira's musings on her friends' work.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm in an X-Files episode. Maybe even an extra in the damn series!"

Nope. Stargate. Way cooler. ;)
(But I liked the XF reference anyway.)
Iona sg chapter 14 . 8/31/2019
"Some vitally important radar telemetry conference?"
Uh oh. This gave me a mental image of Tok'ra and SG-1 discussing theoretical intricacies of radar telemetry...

"Stefan yells sounding not at all like the flaming faerie (his words, not mine) he is."
Oh, boy! *laughs herself silly*

Anyway... your Jacob was spot on. I could easily see and hear this scene in my mind's eye. One could even say that Kira's characterisation of him was very good, if this makes any sense. Her impressions of him were perfect.

Good work on the drama too. It could've easily turned into cheap melodrama, especially with Kira's reaction to the events, but it never did.
Iona sg chapter 13 . 8/27/2019
Here's one of the charms of this fic. Instead of more Kira wondering and trying to figure out what their conversations mean (which you could've done) she's beginning to just enjoy the Jack and Daniel show. Nice character and story development.
Iona sg chapter 12 . 8/24/2019
A sweet chapter where nothing happens but leaves you warm inside. Its title is perfect, it is a repose, for us readers too.

" "Actually Daniel, I don't drink coffee."
"You don't WHAT?!" Daniel shouts looking at me as if I was suddenly possessed by some soul-sucking alien who happened to be residing in my brain."

You mean to say the Goa'uld don't drink coffee either?! Anyway, another case of Kira accidentally guessing the truth. I really love these.
Iona sg chapter 11 . 8/21/2019
Sniffle.
*hugs Kira*
*hugs Daniel*
*hugs Jack*
*hugs Sam*

Kira's conversation with Sam was a very nice tension breaker and a lovely read. My (second) favourite part was where putting the known facts together confused Kira, though.
Iona sg chapter 10 . 8/21/2019
Back to business as usual, nicely done.

I liked how you wrote this...
" "Look about.." We both say at the same time. Daniel chuckles and I laugh. Ah the heck with it. We don't need to talk about O'Malleys."
... and didn't continue with some clich├ęd awkward duscussion that goes nowhere. You really let it slide - for a few lines. After the niceties the same conversation wasn't stilted like it would have been if it continued from here.

"Thing was, he apparently said some pretty wacky stuff and shortly thereafter just vanished from the face of the earth."

Quite literally, Kira! *giggles* It's so fun reading these bits where an oblivious Kira hits the nail on the head. Her anglicised versions of alien names are a stroke of genius too.
Iona sg chapter 9 . 8/20/2019
Absolutely hilarious. I nearly laughed myself off the chair. For at least the third time!

You caught the characters perfectly, which is what made this story so funny. I think Jack stole the show, though. I loved the (talk of) drinking contest. And then his worrying about Kira... That was adorable.

And this:
"Successful simulation of catastrophic collisions in space."
I love these technobabble excuses. (Or technobabble cover stories?)
Iona sg chapter 8 . 8/17/2019
LOL ... Yum!

This review would be longer if I wasn't distracted by memories of Jack O'Neill in dress uniform. *g*
Iona sg chapter 7 . 8/17/2019
This is another one of the favourites.

For starters, brilliant idea on how to handle this ep. Small planet indeed. :)

I loved how you injected a little angst with Kira being worried about hurting her friend. On the one hand. And on the other she couldn't fight the curiosity. Luckily for us readers, curiosity won.
(I'd love to read the text of Marcie's e-mail too. And possibly more correspondence.)

What worked really well was that you didn't inject too many details into Kira's tale, especially those that could be guessed or inferred anyway. That, along with gradual dosing of info, made for a really nice flow of the story and easy read... And chuckles at the end of every paragrah.

I absolutely adored this bit:
" "Have you been to Antarctica lately?" Naturally the moment that left my mouth there was complete silence in the store. I'm not talking about the silence that comes when two people aren't speaking, but the total silence of, well, utter and complete silence. Apparently the Natalie Cole CD I had been listening to chose that exact moment to end."

Well, I adored all the others too, but I had to point this one out.
...

Like I said, one of my favourite Barista chapters. :)
Iona sg chapter 6 . 8/11/2019
LOL! The perfect recap of that ep!
Iona sg chapter 5 . 8/10/2019
This is one of my favourite Barista chapters.

Kira's first whump story (very lovely whump too). The first time she meets the girls. And the first of odd conversations and strange occurrences. What's not to love? (Although I wonder what this chapter would be like if she knew that was just the beginning. ;) )

Great as the whump was, Jack almost stole the show alternating between Scary Colonel and Colonel Tall Cute Guy. And there was even a little bit of Scary Janet... Poor Kira!

Then there was this line : "Jackson huh? Daniel Jackson. Where have I heard that name before?"... Maybe I missed something, but I don't think we ever got to know that answer...
Iona sg chapter 4 . 8/10/2019
I must add something to my review for this chapter...

How sweet was Kira when she tried to impress Daniel with her Greek! (Around the part where ff changed Greek into something cryptic.) And the line before that where she hopes Daniel isn't like that lawyer... that comment makes me laugh every time. :)
Iona sg chapter 4 . 8/8/2019
The first paragraph perfectly describes the view of all Daniel fans, I'd say. :)

It was lovely to see the two bonding over a language. It's entirely logical given what we know about the characters, but just unusual enough to make it cute. Also, this served as the perfect introduction to Kira as a full-blown character.

I loved the moment where she pegs Daniel for 'one of those super smart guys' and the next moment he makes a mistake.
Iona sg chapter 2 . 8/7/2019
"College textbooks don't grow on trees." Um... aren't they made of paper? *g* Anyway...

This must be one of my favourite chapters. Things are still calm at this point and I love the enthusiasm they both share - to the point where they both forget why they're there.
1,800 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »