Reviews for Prehistoric Park: A Keeper's Story
Nathanoraptor chapter 1 . 5/23/2017
This story is the best Mortal has ever written.

Jordan's a great main character; he's very well-written and serves as a great audience surrogate. It's also nice to see how things go on in the park after it has opened and what day-to-day life is like in the park. This story provides a brilliant insight into a side of the park that is so rarely explored in PP fandom.

I only have two gripes with A Keeper’s Story. The first is the difference in the way Chiyo is portrayed. In Extinction World and Back From The Ashes, Chiyo, aside from some social awkwardness issues, was assertive, competent, intelligent and even got Nigel out of trouble a couple of times. In short, she made the perfect deputy. Here, aside from a few moments of competence, she’s shy, has a bunch of personal problems the narrative treated as being always there and and bursts into tearful hysterics at the slightest thing. If you hadn’t read Extinction World, you’d wonder how a nervous wreck like this got to become Deputy Manager.

The second is some of the moral myopia in the BioSyn arc, with heroes behaving in a reprehensible manner (Hammond blackmailing Nedry) and getting away with it. I’m sure Mortal meant for Nedry to be sympathetic; since what Hammond did was not only abhorrent, but illegal (I’m sure that blackmailing an employee is very much a felony), but it was motivated “for the needs of the many”. The reviewers all reacted along the lines of “Oh, he felt bad about it, that mattered”. To them, Hammond and Nigel were paragons of virtue who could do no wrong.

But that’s minor. This is still one of the greatest stories in PP fandom; in fact, it's better than Extinction World.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/9/2015
Oligocene Dromaeosaurs: Oligocene Velociraptor's hunt
A Pack of Oligocene Velociraptors are hunting a herd of Protoceras.
2 Oligocene Velociraptors charge at the herd, 3 Oligocene Velociraptors joined the hunt, A Oligocene Velociraptor bites a Protoceras's neck, 3 Oligocene Lycaeraptors jumped to a Protoceras's back, 2 Oligocene Velociraptors killing the Protoceras by the throat, the pack begin to feast.
Avian chapter 1 . 9/14/2015
To Drew: Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that, it did happen 8 years ago! Thanks for reminding me!
Drew Luczynski chapter 23 . 9/14/2015
To Avian: I don't think Extinction World was out at the time. He could say he was a big fan
Avian chapter 1 . 9/14/2015
To Mortal: I have ONE question, when you actually met Nigel in person, did you had told him that you wrote PP fanfiction as well? If you did, he must be super duper proud of you! :)
Jack905 chapter 23 . 9/11/2015
Thanks for the entertaining story's man, hope you do that crossover.
Drew Luczynski chapter 23 . 9/11/2015
Also DaDog you must do the missions Mortal planned. I don't care if it's in Dawn of the Indominus these where missions from our founder and must. be Fufilled
Drew Luczynski chapter 23 . 9/11/2015
'Reads 27'

'Spit take'

WHAT THE WHAT! IM SO JEALIOUS RIGHT NOW
Avian chapter 1 . 9/11/2015
Thank you very much for delighting us with your tons of interesting cool trivias! So far so good! :)
And whaaaaaaattt!? You actually met Nigel Marven in person!? For real!? That was too EPIC to be true! :D Wish I was in your shoes instead! Once again, you never failed to entertaining us with your last great masterpiece and I will pray for you to be strong and happy as ever! Selamat tinggal dan jumpa lagi!
MortalKombat247 chapter 23 . 9/11/2015
Here's the trivia.
1. Andy the Ankylosaurus was originally going to be a Euoplocephalus.
2. There were going to be more missions than the ones shown in the Final of Extinction World but I cut them in case people got bored. Three of the missions have actually appeared in Back from the Ashes (the Kuliandadromeus/Tianyulong, Acrocanthosaurus and Postosuchus). Other missions that I had planned included a mission for Chilesaurus, Pakicetus, Shonisaurus, Achillobator and Haikouichthys.
3. As I didn't want any spoilers for Extinction World in A Keeper's Story certain events were going to act out differently. Muldoon and Ajay were going to be killed by Mapusaurus, the Prionosuchus incident was going to be about Asiatosuchus and Nedry was going to be killed by a Caspian tiger.
4. Hammond is based off of his portrayal in The Lost World: Jurassic Park with him both being an environmentalist and dying. Muldoon and Gennaro are based off of their appearances in the novel Jurassic Park.
5. I'm writing two books which occur in the same universe. Green Stripe, Cicada and Chiyo all appear in at least one of the books. Chiyo however goes under a different name but she is the main character in the book she appears in. In regards to who Green Stripe and Cicada are I'll just say that they have seen the stars and I'll leave it at that.
6. Cronus is the name of a Titan in Greek mythology who overthrew his father Uranus, ate his children and was overthrown by his son Zeus. Originally there was going to be a plot point where Cronus killed Terrance, tried to eat his hatchlings but was eventually injured by one of the hatchlings when they got older. I rejected it quite early on but kept his name.
7. Nigel and Chiyo named the animals but it was supposed to be noticeable who named which animals. Animals with more European names (Terrance, Matilda, Martha) were named by Nigel while animals with historical or names from their country of origin (Ramses, Hannibal) were named by Chiyo.
8. The park opening was influenced by Jurassic World but it opening as a wildlife sanctuary was influenced by Prehistoric Park the series itself.
9. In the last chapter there was going to be a few extra scenes. One included a scene where Dodgson meets Nedry at a cafe in Puntarenas where he gives Nedry the canisters as well as Nedry saying he feels bad as Hammond only did what he did out of desperation rather than malice (thanks to his cancer). There was also going to be a scene where Gabriel the mercenary is talking to Nedry in the dilo enclosure explaining that he wants the money so he can put his granddaughter through college in years to come. The final scene was going to be about Maria's reaction to the park getting the animals.
10. Originally all the signs/announcements were going to be either in English or Mandarin. It was going to be a very subtle reference to one of my favorite TV shows Firefly where everyone in fluent in those two languages.
11. The dire wolves do have names. Ghost, Summer, Grey Wind, Shaggydog, Nymeria and Lady. My favorite TV series is Game of Thrones (the books it is based on is also one of my favorite book series) and the Stark children's pet dire wolves are called the above names. The final wolf is called Mishka which is the name of my pet husky.
12. Yoren the Neanderthal is named after a Game of Thrones character as well. In the books he is a recruiter for the Night's Watch who is killed by Lannister soldiers. There was an abandoned story arc for Extinction World where he decides to return to his own time by himself but is narrowly saved from a cave lion by Nigel. In the series the Lannister's emblem is a lion.
13. Fictional animals were going to appear in Extinction World. In several fossil sights there have been fossils discovered that are too scrappy to be properly identified but we know sort of what group they belong to. One that was meant to appear was the azdarchid found in Hell's Creek. The only one to appear is the Ceratosaurus as an unidentified species of Ceratosaurus is known from only a tooth in the Tendaguru formation.
14. More people were going to die in A Keeper's Story. Ian Malcolm, Saeed, a guest which was going to be introduced (I decided to scrap them) and Nick were originally going to die. With the animals being realistic and not mindless monsters I thought such a high body count would be unrealistic.
15. There is a little joke about the Jurassic Park novel in the last chapter of A Keeper's Story. Chiyo mentions that Hammond's favorite dinosaur is the Compsognathus, in the novel he is killed by Procomsognathus.
16. There were going to be more Deputy Head keepers in A Keeper's Story. About ten more were going to be seen but I only properly created five of those ten. Those five were going to be an Israeli, French, Costa Rican, Xhosa and American.
17. I originally planned to end Extinction World and then a fortnight later start a second series revolving around saving more animals while the park is open (strange how that has happened with DaDog taking over instead). There was going to be a two part Epilogue, one where the staff are preparing for the opening which ends when Hammond gives his speech. The second part would have any readers who wanted to be in the story arrive at the park as some of the first guests.
18. Zach White was originally going to be Kanye West but I decided to make a fictional singer who would be based on Justin Beiber.
19. The Titanoboa/Giganotosaurus/Greak auk mission may seem odd. The reason for the choice is that they were my most requested animals so there was going to be a mission revolving around those most requested.
20. Jordan's name is an amalgamation of the first names of two of my friends. His personality is based on a third friend of mine.
21. Retcons were actually going to be explained as a in-universe thing. If a retcon happened it was going to be explained by the time portal adjusting time for any changes. This was scrapped when it raised questions about changing time in general which could have led to plot holes.
22. Biodomes were going to be used for the animal exhibits. To keep it in line with Prehistoric Park and Jurassic Park they were scrapped for everything bar the Carboniferous House.
23. Things from the game Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis were going to appear in A Keeper's Story. These included a balloon ride, viewing tower, viewing dome and a gift shop with an inflatable T Rex on the roof. The only thing from JP:OG that did make it in was Jane Powers working at Prehistoric Park.
24. The River Tour is based off of the one in the novel Jurassic Park which was shut down thanks to the Dilophosaurus spitting venom. Hence why you can see them on the River tour.
25. The Pterosaur Aviary was going to include all flying and gliding animals (including the microraptor). It was going to be called Skies. The Aquarium was going to be called Seas and would lead to the underwater walkways.
26. The pterosaurs were going to escape during the Indominus Incident. I couldn't find a realistic reason why they would escape so this was scrapped.
27. I've actually met Nigel Marven. Eight years ago Impossible Pictures (the company that made the Walking with series, Prehistoric Park and Primeval) did a road show where they went to different towns and cities showing off the animal props used in the Walking with series. It happened to come to my hometown and when I was there Nigel Marven was signing autographs. I managed to shake his hand and get his autograph.
Well I hope you enjoyed this trivia and this is my goodbye. I might come back to do a Prehistoric Kingdom/Mesozoica/Jurassic Park crossover when the games are fully released. It's been a pleasure writing these, I give my thanks to you all for reading it and I give my luck to DaDog and Nathanoraptor for their series. Goodbye!
Avian chapter 23 . 9/11/2015
Can't wait to see the trivia!
Avian chapter 23 . 9/11/2015
I know this story is complete but can you tell me a bit about Nedry's past with Hammond, I just felt I don't want image of 'bad' Hammond in my mind.
Guest chapter 23 . 9/11/2015
Oh no, please don't tell me that damn Dogson the 'good guy' here! :(
MorningGlory chapter 23 . 9/11/2015
Thanks a lot for everything!
Guest chapter 23 . 9/10/2015
Well, it been a good run. Goodbye good friend.