Reviews for New Day, New Life
james.wylie.guerra chapter 36 . 6/11/2016
Fun chapter! I like the way you are reconciling wand magic and white council magic. Legillimancy in particular always seemed incredibly dangerous, so i am glad they are giving it the attention it deserves. Looking forward to seeing this develop! And to see whats up with Lockhart... It says a lot about his cannon character that him being so competent makes me incredibly nervous.
ShadowPillow chapter 2 . 6/11/2016
I'm pretty sure that it's fairly rare for True Names to be dropped in normal conversation. Still, most wizards avoid it just in case, because it /can/ happen. Also, True Names can also seem to be dropped in parts, so maybe you would know the first name perfectly but not the entirety of the rest. Plus, you probably would have to know /how/ to pick up on a True Name and what differentiates somewhat, to be able to use it anyway.

Just a bit of Dresden canon that came to mind as I was reading. Honestly, I would've completely forgotten they existed if it hadn't been mentioned (it's been far too long since I read through the series), so congratulations to you for knowing obscure Dresden Files knowledge.

Anyhow, this looks to be an extremely interesting crossover. I suppose I'll be doing my best to catch up to the most recent update for the next few hours. :)
skywiseskychan chapter 7 . 6/9/2016
I really am enjoying 'white court?' Pansy. Its a blast, but I have to wonder if house robes really exist, or if she's just using them as an excuse for her natural abilities.
skywiseskychan chapter 1 . 6/9/2016
Okay, this is, well, hilariously glorious. I love it to pieces already.
00 Non C. Anon 00 chapter 6 . 5/23/2016
I really, really hope you're going somewhere both important and spectacular with Pansy, because she's really starting to annoy the heck out of me. If she's only half human, I'd personally think the Ministry and its views would both frown on that and Hogwarts would have ways to tell. Too, if she's as dangerous - or more so - than we've seen, I don't think the Dumbles that we've seen would allow her near students. Too, if she's got non-wanded wizard powers, I feel like she's massively over powered. It took Molly until her early-to-mid-twenties to start sensing people's emotions. And, she hasn't gotten to the point where it doesn't bother her to be in a crowd(unless Cold Days counts... but even that's not a natural solution).
exillion chapter 1 . 5/23/2016
Wow... hp fusion with dresdenverse.

The fusion is so badly matched I'm laughing at this fic, and at your stupidity for even trying. Hope this fic gets burned.
00 Non C. Anon 00 chapter 4 . 5/19/2016
Purple or violet, while not exactly a natural eye color, is not simply a fabrication of fiction. It appears FAR more commonly in books and on TV than it does in real life. A couple examples are Maddie Fenton and Sam Manson from Danny Phantom. But, it is a very real thing. Violet eyes are a genetic mutation known as Alexandria's Genesis. And, odd fact, people with Alexandria's Genesis have 20/20 vision throughout their entire life.
00 Non C. Anon 00 chapter 1 . 5/18/2016
I have a few questions after reading this, if you wouldn't mind answering them.

1) In canon, Dumbledore is 115 years old when he dies. Luccio is just over 200 in Dead Beat(According to Butcher). So, what is your take on the two different types of wizards? In their separate canons, we see the Dresden wizards to much "bigger" workings than the Potterverse wizards. However, the Potterverse wizards have a tendency towards the more "complex" workings. There are inconsistencies that don't allow for easy crossovers, such as the animals form being limited to one shape, while we see Dresden shapeshifters going all over the place. Though, those are mostly heavy-hitters. I'm just wondering what your take is, since I personally tend to think the Council would completely destroy the Potter wizards through there scale if nothing else. They could just call in Eb and... well... they wouldn't have a problem anymore. So... what's your take?

2) Does dark magic use effect wand wizards in the same way? I've seen so many pics where wands act as a buffer against the taint of dark magic, and it always annoys the crap out of me and just seems like a massive cop-out.

3) What is the scale of the ICW vs the WC? The WC is a world power. Is the ICW similar?

Personal Feelings: I hope Ms. Potter choses the WC over the ICW. It would make for some interesting scenes...

I don't usually enjoy self-inserts, but this is actually quite good so far.
Chatwyn chapter 35 . 5/18/2016
Awww Grindelwald was still in love with Dumbledore when they fought that final battle. 'One last time' did they fight to death, or did Dumbledore plonk him into Nuremberg like in HP canon, or would he have been executed for breaking the White Council's rules (who's jurisdiction would he fall under?)

But sorry! You don't get a pass for being a mass-murdering genocidal maniac just because you're in love! Either way yeah I can see why Dumbledore would need therapy... I like how he's sharing the story so that Alex doesn't feel bad about going to therapy... I mean, if Dumbledore had to go through it too then who is she to argue? ...Even if it still hurts so much after all these years that Fawkes had to cheer Dumbledore up... (sniff)

That was my romantic side. My cynical side, on the other hand, is thinking that people usually bring out the 'was in love with a dark lord' story when they need to humanise Dumbledore... usually after or before he does something... incredibly sh*tty... hmmmm

re: Bellatrix... I actually skimmed over that scene, didn't really get my attention (not interested enough in what Narcissa thinks, read the first bit thought 'oh its just Luce and Narc making out uggh gross skip' and then Bellatrix shows up and says hi. If it was Alex making out, I'd be more interested but this is like... you're reading a fic about Hermione, and the author puts in a steamy scene between Fudge and his wife)

But when I went back and read it properly, Bella has some good lines. Her religious zealotry is interesting, the way she talks about faith. But there's too much dialogue, so it doesn't stand out when you first read it. Side comment about one of the Malfoys being a priest was also interesting.
conan.lagace chapter 35 . 5/18/2016
He malfoys last chapter reminded me of a discount Adams family couple. So in love and enthralled yet fully focused on their "work".
Elim Garak chapter 35 . 5/17/2016
Minor issues with homophones. "Insure" vs. "ensure", "spar" vs. "spare", and one or two others.
Chatwyn chapter 34 . 4/28/2016
-Fave fight scene: Dumbledore VS Vampires! Although the cloak eating a DE comes a close second.
-Kill Umbridge.
-Lockhart is still a fraud, but he's a competent fraud.
Chatwyn chapter 33 . 4/28/2016
-Dresden is my favourite character, because he's a badass.
-Someone else came up with this, but I agree with it - if I were a random Hogwarts student, I would imperio a house elf. The house elf would have permission to be anywhere in the castle, it's apparition can't be blocked (meaning it would disappear without a trace after the crime), and no one really notices house elves. If it were caught, it could suicide under command... Do it when Alex is sleeping. Repeat as many times as necessary.
-I am looking forward to Uncle Moony and Tom effing Riddle (in a girl's body) for this year... the parseltongue reveal... but further on in the story, I'd love to see Harry Dresden meeting Alex!
Integrated chapter 1 . 4/26/2016
The vampire attack did not inspire nearly enough panic. Alex has discovered that the various preconceptions she knows are not happening. I imagine it would be similar to discovering that you were a soldier in WWII, planning out how to survive the conflict and maybe make it shorter only to discover that the war is actually a mix of WWII and Vietnam. Times ten. And you're not just a soldier but a general. Alex's decision to lethally stab the vampire is also a bit wonky. As far as she knew, it was a regular wizard. A human. One does not instantly go for lethal countermeasures in that sort of situation without training or complete hysteria.
On the part of Dumbledore, he is not surprised at all by Hagrid's revelation. Hagrid himself is too nonchalant as well. They are treating it like an everyday occurrence but for Dumbledore's reprisal.
SalemTheSpeakerOfTruth chapter 16 . 4/26/2016
Pansy's kind of an irritating character
241 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »