Reviews for The End of the Road
atippleofyourtears chapter 2 . 8/17/2003
"I awoke with tears in my eyes, that father had found a home without me. There is an emptiness where once he filled; but now I realize that there was an emptiness in his heart as well. I would be selfish not to wish that he could find peace in some better place. But I would that the War had never come to disturb the peaceful life of Samwise Gamgee; then perhaps there still would be a Baggins at Bag End, and a Gamgee to serve him."

It's wonderfully realistic to have her feel that way-that gladness that he's found piece, that ache that he's found it without her, and that guilt that she feels because she thinks she's selfish.

"I can hear the tides echoing in my dreams. More times than I can count I have dreamed of lying on a beach, staring at the stars while the waters crash around me. There is peace on the shore, but a measureless longing as well. I wonder if the stars shine as brightly in the Undying Lands. I wonder if my father looks up at them and misses me as I miss him. But it is not my fate to know.

I wait here, for my father. But he will never return."

{tears up} Dammit, Thalia! This is the second time I've read it and it's STILL made me tear up. Why must you be so good?

The words just flow together so well. I can see it all in my mind.

{dabs eyes with tissue}

You are the queen of angst, me dear. But not the depressing, hopeless kind (at least not in all of your angsty stories.) It's always the kind that happens in real life. The angst that's more bittersweetness than anything, a blending of grief and sorrow with peace and acceptance.

It's beautiful.

{ruins moment by blowing nose very loudly in tissue.}
atippleofyourtears chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
"It has been long years since a Baggins lived at Bag End; the hobbits of Hobbiton have begun to call it Gardner's End, but not to my father's face, for he will not tolerate it being called anything but Bag End."

That is so Sam it almost breaks my heart.

"It occurs to me that my father's hair has turned white. He is old, I realize, and I had not the wit to see it. But it seems to me that there is something ageless about him, as though he will never quite die."

The words just flow together so wonderfully...

That's how I always pictured him towards the end, when I imagined it. Sort of old, yet ageless, because of him carrying the ring. Even if it was for a short while, I always imagine that towards the end it would finally get to him. This story put those imaginings into words. It's amazing.

"At the door, I turn for another glance at him. He is gazing again at the embers of the fire, and I watch his hand steal towards his shirt collar. Somehow that gesture fills me with an inexplicable sadness, and I fill my eyes with him as though he will soon be gone, far beyond the Sea, as though he were an Elf, or perhaps a Baggins.

Nonsense, I think to myself. But somehow I am not sure that it *is* nonsense; the hobbit sitting there has the eyes of someone far, far away from Bag End."

Le sigh! It's so very poetic.
Elendraug chapter 2 . 7/20/2003
XD Nice disclaimer! *laughed in real life at that* But man...*sighs* That was depressing. Then again, I love angst, so w00t! This fic is going to stalk me for at least a month...*hands you chocolate* Good job! That last line killed me...so sad. But very good. Keep writing! *hug* I love your stories.

~*StarWolf*~

P.S. I wandered around your website for a few minutes, and I envy your frame-making abilities. The layout is wonderful, and Harad IS cool, isn't it? The guestbook questions are hilarious...I'll try and remember to sign it. Forgive me if I don't, as I owe a lot of people a lot of stuff that I promised to do. *hits self and runs off to figure out how to make inline frames*
Elendraug chapter 1 . 7/20/2003
What does your Balrog's name mean? "Ar" is "royal" or "outside." *thinks* Er, anyway...

"My father's eyes are filled with fading starlight." *points* That line, right there. That will haunt me now. "the hobbit sitting there has the eyes of someone far, far away from Bag End." and that, too. But very, very good and well-written. I don't think I've ever read something from the point-of-view of Sam's children before...*applauds and runs off to read the second chapter* *calls back over her shoulder* I liked Sam's rendition of Bilbo's song, too! _ The new words flowed well. *trips over a rock because she wasn't watching where she was going* x-x oof.

~*StarWolf*~
shirebound chapter 2 . 2/3/2003
Oh, my. This is wonderfully poignant! "I wonder if the stars shine as brightly in the Undying Lands. I wonder if my father looks up at them and misses me as I miss him." Just beautiful. I'm so glad your Muse guided you to a Chapter 2; what a loss it would have been otherwise!
jenelin chapter 1 . 1/12/2003
Really quite lovely, and sad too. You've captured loss and confusion and knowledge, and it is wonderfully done. Thank you.
Europa Mane chapter 1 . 1/10/2003
I would think that since you have read Tolkien (and with him being such a good writer) you would have written your stories differently and well...better. And not just done a poor attempt at Tolkien's style of writing. Thank you for runing my day.
QB's gurl chapter 1 . 12/16/2002
I read the first one and well...*hesitates before dares to critisize the great Thalia* I have to say that, even with the numerous improvements on the revision, the first one packed a harder emothional wallop. Not that either version was/is bad. The second one is longer and a little more ctitiqued. But I have to say that my pesonal opinoin lies with the first. (which was also written by you, thus I *do* like your work) And of course, you know how I feel about poor Sam. He's my fav. charechter in FotR and I feel like he dosn't receive enough well-written, non-slash, attention. And you definetly did a wonderful job.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 12/15/2002
It's nice to see Sam as a father, with a family, although of course there needs to be some bittersweetness as well. Nicely done.
GreyLadyBast chapter 1 . 12/11/2002
whoa, Thals, this brough tears to my eyes! Good work, girl.
shirebound chapter 1 . 12/10/2002
This is quite beautiful. I especially love, "that hazy figure who carries a bit of magic with his name" and "My father's eyes are filled with fading starlight" and "he will soon be gone, far beyond the Sea, as though he were an Elf, or perhaps a Baggins." Those are amazing lines. Have you considered... possibly... a Chapter 2?