Reviews for The King's Pet or The King
MellieBean chapter 32 . 2/7
You have bewitched me, body and spirit, and I love this story... most ardently. A little Pride and Prejudice nerding for you, because your story has consumed me almost as much as my favorite Jane Austen tale. This story, along with Call Me Katto, has been one of the few things getting me through this last year. Please don’t ever stop writing, you have a gift. I personally cannot wait to see this story come to fruition and I will be not-so-patiently waiting for more chapters. BTW this is the one and only review I’ve ever written, for any story, by any author, ever. See? Bewitched.
Gentle Blossom chapter 32 . 2/1
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story and Call me Katto. I really love how different things turned out for all of our heroes after the Avatar was not discovered until 2 years later. Plus I really like Zuko; he is my favorite character. I like that he has decided to help take down the Fire Lord, even if it did take him awhile to come to that realization. I cannot wait for the reunion between Katara, Zuko and the rest of the gang. Also, can’t wait to see how you decide to write out how Katara and Zuko will mend their relationship, which will obviously not be an easy route. Until the! Hope you update soon.
Please update if possible
Forthwith16 chapter 32 . 12/6/2020
Alright, I've finished reading this series from start to finish. I think this second story is a lot stronger than the first one overall. The romance in the first part felt kind of forced, more just two horny teens with the hots for each other in close quarters than a real emotional bond developing. Sokka's rescue, as an arc, helped alleviate that feeling somewhat, but the point where Katara and Zuko both truly realized they were kind of asking for heartbreak at the Air Temple was the pointed where they started acting their ages and developed into what felt like real characters who'd stumbled into a bad situation.

Most of this second part is solid material. I could gripe about it needing an editing pass to give it a bit more of a razor focus to Zuko's growing heel face turn and Katara's personality collapse and resurgence, but with the romance taking a back seat so far, this has been an enjoyable tale of intrigue. Zuko is obviously and appropriately outclassed by Azula (still not sure what her motivation is unless it's wanting to rule through Zuko, as I do remember that she mentioned her ideas not being popular). Katara is too angry and information starved to match wits with her (or to really stand up for herself in Zuko's household with the staff since she won't go to him to tell him to get them in line). Ozai is a jerk. The internal problems of a nation at war for a century with increasingly power mad rulers were also well displayed, though it might have been better to work them in earlier in more detail even if Zuko doesn't see them himself until later. I suppose that would be difficult, though, given how many OCs you'd need to fill out the entire royal court with. Meh.

Anyway, I have hopes that this will update again at some point in the future, and I hope to see more of it.
Forthwith16 chapter 8 . 12/5/2020
You know, now that I give it some thought, a good compromise between these two would have been to capture the avatar, bring him back to the Fire Nation, and then bust him out. Everyone wins. It's not like Sozen wants to kill him. Then they'd just have to hunt down another Avatar. There'd be a sympathetic prince first in line for the throne. Zuko and Katara get their happy ending.
BookRose chapter 13 . 12/3/2020
My only critique is that I thought Zuko already told Katara and Sokka Azula's Big Revelation a chapter or two ago. Here, Zuko brings up their son, as though Azula never told him she wasn't pregnant, and Katara tells Zuko she's not as though Zuko wasn't the one to break that news to her to begin with, right before The Big Fight. I actually really like that scene though, so I don't mind it staying that way personally, but it is a bit inconsistent. Zuko's portrayal so far, in all the previous story and it's sequel has been ALL the season one character development with a helping and a half extra of season one and a dash or two of season two. But all the chapters in this story especially have him acting up and acting out even more, taking that season one brat's tantrums and explosions of temper and bad behavior even further and I think it works. I think Zuko's life and and experiences so far have shaped and molded him in such a way that it makes sense for him to react to his circumstances in that way. I honestly can't wait to see how he grows and changes over the course of this story and what will happen to get him to that season 3 level of growth, maturity and humility that makes him one of the best characters of all time. The circumstances and the stakes are wildly different this time, (higher too) but I've enjoyed seeing all the ways the story and characters develop differently. I'm excited to read more!
bedpotato chapter 32 . 11/26/2020
Really happy to see an update! The story is still so good! Keep safe!
Guest chapter 27 . 11/21/2020
This story is soooooo good, but I must admit that repeating the same plot points in the same scenery without any moving forward (character wise and plot wise) is starting to get really tiring and old
MehScrewIt chapter 32 . 11/10/2020
This is beautiful. I have just binge read Call me Katto and jumped onto this. You write beautifully, and the sub-plots, even if they don't go anywhere, flesh the story out and draw me into the world further. And all the OCs you've added feel real!

It's a great story. Hope to read more soon!
starnight64 chapter 32 . 11/1/2020
Woww, I cant wait to see the next chapter of this story! I really hope u do continue it tho:))
I also just wanted to say how azula is my all time fave character in atla, and omg the way you write her is exquisite! Its soo her and omg I just love her, and you;) Like you can see through her mind; damn u can be a genius like her oop! Anyways, thanks for making such an amazing, awesome and super entertaining story, I really cant wait till the next chapter yayy. Also cant wait for more zutara actione ee. Also how many chapters do you think the book will have?
ILurvCupcakes chapter 32 . 10/30/2020
Your stories are amazing! I love Zukos character development. And I am such a sap so I just want zuko and Katara to be together but I whole appreciate her wrath for him because of everything he’s done to her. Please update soon. I would love to read the end of this story so please please don’t abandon it
moonotter chapter 32 . 10/13/2020
Oh my god this was such a good chapter! I'm really hoping Piandao comes out of this okay. I'm very impressed as to how you managed to make Katara and Zuko feel relatively canon-compliant with their relationship this chapter. I do hope they manage to get back together with Zuko working on his redemption. I've binged this story and Call Me Katto in only like two-three days and I'm absolutely looking forward to the next chapter.
Akari.Wolf.Princess chapter 32 . 9/29/2020
My gosh this story is just so freakin amazing! I have so much to say but idk how to put into words! The emotional turmoil of this whole thing is so sadly satisfying! I know it’s been a while since you updated but i would totally wait forever!
Guest chapter 32 . 9/28/2020
Just here to remind you that your readers miss you!
Chaiteaa chapter 32 . 9/21/2020
Loved the ending of this chapter. As for Katara and Zuko, All I’m gonna say is at that he is gonna have to do something MONUMENTAL to earn forgiveness. I personally feel like there is no chance of him redeeming himself or his relationship with Katara with everything that has happened. That, of course, we will find out when the time is right.

Keep up the great work!