Reviews for Harry Potter and the Pursuit of Significance
wawo20 chapter 3 . 10/11
Awesome sequence. New twist and I love it.
kirashu chapter 2 . 9/28
Really? Well it's easy, Sue the Ministry for Vault's Thief. Go to Daily Prophet and big scandal: Ministry stole Ancient and Noble House of Potter - Return of the lost son... blablabla. This is the type of scandal some reporter (cough Rita cough) will love.
This is AWESOME! Love the characterisation of Harry, and your storyline is great. Can't wait for more!
TheFishKing chapter 8 . 9/26
poor harry this is a shit situation
Mangahero18 chapter 6 . 9/26
Slytherins' traditions basically amount to shitty frat hazing.
SimFlyer chapter 8 . 9/24
Loving the story so far. The mystery behind the dissapearence of the potter fortune is intriguing. Can't wait for more.
Joe Lawyer chapter 8 . 9/24
Well, glad he managed to get some more money out of his ancestor. It’s for the good of the house, after all. I think the portrait is good for more than just manipulation though. Share the facts of his situation after the visit to the lawyer and get the guy’s thoughts. He can serve as more than just comic relief and money. His advice is free and paranoia is probably going to serve Harry well given the conspiracy that likely resulted in the Potter family’s downfall.

If Harry is interested in Quidditch, maybe he should become involved with the World Cup in a few years. Probably a lot of money to be made if he can supply the land and have the stadium built to last on his lands. Maybe getting involved in the professional quidditch industry would be profitable.

Harry did not come off all that eloquent with his new lawyers. I have to keep reminding myself that no matter how impressive you made his overall intelligence and backstory that he’s still a very young person. I’d make him a lot more precocious though, to fit with what you wrote earlier.

As an attorney, Tonks and Tonks wondering if Harry can pay their feeds felt very real to me. If I were them I’d have assured Harry that they did not profit from his family’s misfortunes way back then. Kind of important to state, I thought.

A huge loan to the Ministry 2 centuries ago? Yeah, what were the terms there? Find the original documents. What were the consequences for default? No one, not even friends, gives a huge loan to a GOVERNMENT without protections in place meant to see it paid back, including options in case of default where they have no money to pay it back. No one who gets rich and stays rich is stupid about money and loans. And I find it hard to believe that in 2 centuries of Potters that no one tried to force that issue or resolve it or pay it down in some manner, like the Ministry indirectly paying by giving the Potters valuable magical artifacts or magical knowledge. Did the Ministry make no payments at all in 2 centuries, even though they’re constantly taking in tax revenue? And keep in mind that there are many ways to pay something back, especially by a government. It’s the Ministry. They could have also given tax long-term/perpetual breaks to the Potter family, or privileges others didn’t have, or rights to certain things, licenses, etc. All of that has value, even indirect monetary value to the Potter family. Were they ever given? Are they still applicable? Find out because Harry could make good use of it now. Can they be given to Harry in the future? Depth and substance and complexity will make this story great, but you have to think a bit more outside the box. Not everything is as clear cut as one person makes a loan, the other person doesn’t pay the loan back.

If his lawyers don’t research the Goblin treaties that control this situation, then they should be fired. Harry and them should be experts by the end on what the Goblins are required to do and most importantly, what the magically binding consequences to the Goblins are that are spelled out in the treaty. When you draft contracts you always build in provisions for what happens if someone doesn’t do what they’re supposed to. You’re always looking to the worst case scenarios.

The will thing was strange as the impetus for the Potter family’s troubles. I agree with those lawyers, Harry’s family would have planned for this situation; they were facing direct threat after all. And while canon likes to talk about Voldemort being the worst Dark Lord ever, which I always found a bit silly, the Potter family has likely faced threats many times in their long history, probably even faced near extinction at the hands of the Dark Lord of the time or their business/political enemies. This isn’t likely a new situation. They would have put protections in place.

Again, keep in mind that this ALL of this doesn’t take place in the context of MUGGLE business/inheritance. Magic and magically binding contracts govern here and control. It’s not going to be clear cut with the will of magic involved.

“He wanted them to pay for what they did…” – I don’t like this idea being suggested as his primary motivation. Sure, Harry wants to find out who was behind the dismantling of his family’s empire, but he’s also looking to regain it, to secure the future for the Potter family. Those two things go hand-in-hand. And Harry is impressive enough that if he was given the choice of making someone pay or getting back what was lost, I guarantee you he’d choose to get back what he lost versus revenge. He’s practical and pragmatic.

Man, you really bent over backwards inventing facts to ensure Harry can’t make money in the muggle world. You even added facts that have ZERO basis in canon with the Unspeakables monitoring the muggle world. Canon is that the Ministry department head with the most regular need to interface with Muggles, Arthur Weasley, doesn’t know how to pronounce electricity and whose ambition is to figure out what the purpose of a rubber ducky is. You’ve also got Ministry employees who don’t know what men and women in the muggle world wear. No, you added a whole new function to the DoM that they’re supposedly REALLY good at. And keep in mind how that department was infiltrated in canon without anyone being the wiser for hours on end and the battle that took place there. I don’t mind changes to canon, in fact I applaud them, but this felt contrived, like too many of your readers suggested the muggle world to alleviate Harry’s financial problems and you really wanted to nip that in the bud so you invented new facts to stop it early. I’ve never been a fan of canon changes meant to ONLY stop something from happening in the story simply because the author finds it inconvenient.

Money issues in HP are great fodder for a story. Rebuilding the Potter family puts you in a very rare category, but it requires a lot to pull off well. Like I’ve offered before, I’m happy to chat about my review, but I don’t think you’ve ever responded to one of them, even to rail at me for something you didn’t like, lol!
Gothic Rain chapter 5 . 9/24
Riiiight. So my first impression is that Slytherin Military. And that this is purely dramatic. I'll give you an A for imagination though.
Gothic Rain chapter 4 . 9/24
The text/speech feels a bit robotic. It would be nice if there were more details too. This reminds me a little bit of playing a game while using all the God mods and glitches making everything easy and ends up taking out the fun of everything.
There are some really unique things going on in this story but a lot of this feels like luck and circumstance. I guess we'll see how Hogwarts goes.
mwinter1 chapter 8 . 9/24
Awaiting more.
Gothic Rain chapter 3 . 9/24
Wow... I've never read a story with A Gringott's experience quite like this before. I'm impressed XD
Gothic Rain chapter 2 . 9/24
Haha, no wonder Harry became Slytherin especially after the Ministry did that to his line. (I'm not talking about evil or anything, just that it would fuel anyone's ambition).
kyrandiana chapter 8 . 9/24
Glad for an update keep up the good work please update again really soon.
jslee102 chapter 8 . 9/24
I enjoyed this chapter. Harry is starting to be likeable as a character and the growth is nice to see
Z-Breezy chapter 8 . 9/24