Reviews for Significant Digits
Most epic finale. epiiiiiiiiic.
Well done sir
whydidireadthis chapter 58 . 7/13
It's impossible for me to express the depth of my disappointment with this series. The only consolation I have is that it was not actually written by Eliezer Yudkowsky, and is therefore not canon. I'll try to list some of the complaints I have below...although by now I've forgotten many of the ones I had at the beginning of the story.
1. Harry Bystander. Harry is barely even a secondary character in this story. All the changes made to his character by EY were lost; the quick wit, unerring logic, the intelligence, and skill. In here we get to see a pitiful shadow, neutered and locked in a tower, and stunted in magical growth. I remember when He could easily beat Hermione in a duel, and now suddenly he is a physically helpless weakling. we don't even get to see his planning or battlefield command. "he's not a duelist" says Hermione. Except that he stunned moody when he was 11.
2. Hermione Granger, the marry-sue-who-was-super-special-because-reasons. As if she was not already enough of an insufferable goody-two-shoes, EY had to go and make her an immortal "sparkly unicorn princess" fine. but then you make her an unstoppable fighter, give her all 3 Hallows, have her save the day 12 dozen times, gave her a Phoenix (thankfully you killed it off), and basically just make the entire show about her. Which only highlights how all the problems I had with Harry in this series.
3. Merlin is bad, Umbridge is good. enough said I think. next, you'll be telling us that Dumbledor was evil as well.
4. Harry was never defeated by Bellatrix. He never even fought her. she tortured him a little. that's all. And somehow there's a bunch of gymnastics (much like in the original HP universe) that result in Hermione conveniently being the master of the Eldar Wand. If simply hurting the owner is enough to change allegiance why does the wand not now belong to whichever of the Weasleys fired the rocket launcher at her?
5. HAA! GAAAAAY! I'm convinced the author is a fag hag (or possibly gay.). By the end of the story, I was honestly surprised that Hermione wasn't together with some random female character and Draco and Harry weren't an item. There was not a single new straight relationship revealed or discussed. Now, that's not a problem, if your narrative is ignoring relationships in general. But the narrative very deliberately dwells on several gay relationships, and while I was fine with the first couple (5% or so of ppl are gay, why shouldn't there be a few gay couples?) after a while they started to jar me out of my imersion.
Ok so that's it that I can remember for my nitpicking. Things I liked:
1. Nevill annihilating Bellatrix
2. Most of the fight scenes in general
3. Some of the Magic-Science hybrids were quite interesting
So now maybe you are thinking "why the fuck are you complaining? if you don't like it don't read it" and herein lies the crux of the issue: I don't quit. I actually cannot stop reading a book once I start. It's an issue, and I usually take great care to only read when I have time (i forget about eating and sleep) and when I find books worth reading. Which is why I'm so disappointed! all the comments and reviews were amazing, and I had no warning about what a shitshow I was actually entering until it was too late. which is the main reason why I'm taking this time to write a very long, very ranty, negative comment.
sorry for the long post.
PlannedObsolescence chapter 16 . 7/11
Reading this for the second time, and seeing I didn't leave a review the first time. I can only assume that was because I had no words to do it justice, and I guess I still don't. Just, to repeatedly evoke frisson and tears in turn... writing like this is why I read.

Also, this is the scene I've craved ever since Harry dismissed his Phoenix in HPMoR, and I'm so glad we got it.
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 58 . 2/28
This is an incredible story and a beautiful and captivating continuation to HMOR,only even betterin parts, because it touches on all the implications the changes HJPEV is starting there are thought through totheir end and touched upon,here. And the action is great. And the ending, oh the ending! I love this fic and found it a very, very satisfying read. Thank you for writing and sharing!
KidWinTinker chapter 16 . 1/14
Sorry to come off as a bit ignorant... Could someone tell me the Adams being referred to?
"She'd read her Asimov, Heinlein, Vonnegut, Adams..."
Guest chapter 15 . 12/23/2016
*thumbs up for the last line*
KidWinTinker chapter 15 . 12/23/2016
*thumbs up for the last line*

...And the last reference to him as the Tower
KidWinTinker chapter 2 . 11/21/2016
Brilliant.

This is the right way to worry about stuff. Everybody should worry like this when they worry.
ardvarkeating101 chapter 58 . 11/16/2016
Jesus jetfuel Christ a-fucking-mazing
Peanut-Butter-Bandit chapter 3 . 9/25/2016
What I learned was that barbarian comes from the word for "beard" in Latin, "barbe," to describe the bearded warrior men, which then gained the meaning we know today. Of course, I did Google and it seems the Greek root is also applicable. The Greek root actually comes up first and foremost, I had to search specifically to make sure my memory was doing okay. So I guess it depends on which root the word is taken from if it's ironic or not.
Was there a time jump for your story by the way? It seemed like they'd grown up but something is making me think not as well. I'm also confused in general about the Americans and healing poles and it's making me feel like I missed a story. I read the entirety of HPMOR but I'll check your stories. If I find nothing I'll just keep assuming it's an intended part of the story. It's just that it feels like so much of the world and story mentions and revolves around things I cannot remember/place and a possible time skip so I feel like I've missed a story.
Your story is interesting but I have to get back into HPMOR thinking, because something about Harry and Hermione feels off and I'm betting that why. I probably should try to keep the HPMOR thought process at all times, but it's exhausting for me to do that much analysis just to eat a sandwich so I really don't use it. I find instinct may not be rational but it usually doesn't lead me too far off. Also I haven't had time to research into it for other views besides what I've been given in the stories.
I'm gonna just review now because I want to read the rest of the chapter. I had to respond to the barbarian thing before I forgot.
Jinawee chapter 58 . 8/31/2016
I have spent the past week reading this story nearly without stopping. A wonderful successor to the Methods of Rationality, and I was very sad to see it end.

The ending reminded me very much of Interstellar.
framlingham chapter 58 . 8/12/2016
Just finished your story, and I have to say, it was unbelievable. Never thought it could match up to MOR, and it didn't, it succeeded on its own merit, with a different style, yet staying true to the original. Expansive story, interesting new characters, magic and rationality, terrible consequences, and space! It enjoyed it thoroughly, from the first chapter to the last, BRAVO good sir.

As for what you couldve done better?
1. So little happened with the 2nd of the 3 baddies, that i can't even recall her name right now. That's anticlimactic.
2. Sometimes your battles scenes were okay, other times they were AMAZING. That dichotomy breaks the spell youre spinning
3. Most importantly, you should never, ever, ever, ever use the words "a couple of minutes later". It's lazy, proves you don't know how long minutes are, and its incredibly disruptive in the middle of your concise and intelligent prose. It happens rarely, nowhere near as much in this fic as in so many others, but I thought Id say.

Congratulations on crafting one of the best stories on this site
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 1 . 5/31/2016
skip marker
Heloise chapter 58 . 5/24/2016
So upset that it's over. Please tell me there will be another one? Please?
onceuponastarrr chapter 58 . 5/20/2016
This chapter, and the entire story, was amazing. Thank you again for writing.