Reviews for Build a Fence, Call It Home
Adri1577 chapter 35 . 8/11/2019
Loved it. From the beginning till the end. I laughed, I cringed and I thoroughly enjoyed all of it. Your writting is very catchy. Titles of the chapters nicely give an idea about the content. It would be nice to read a few one-shots about their family some years in the future.
Thank you for this wonderful story.
spindleofaspinningwheel chapter 35 . 8/8/2019
I always recommend this story to others, but I don’t think I’ve been signed in when I’ve left a review lol... this is one of my absolute favorite stories anywhere. When I am missing Laura and Bill I always come back to Fences first, and even occasionally go straight back to the beginning when I’m done. I try to go slowly at first, to live in the world a little longer, but then I’ll get to where I can’t put it down again... and sadly it always ends (funny how that happens Haha.) Your writing and story are beautiful and just perfect. Thank you!
Anastasia1224 chapter 35 . 3/17/2019
In awe with this story, hooked from the beginning. The first chapters are sassy. Loved every bit of it, who they are, their story, the fact that they were so damaged that they keep to themselves. The kids, young, both so different and adorable. The wounds they carry, assuming the other acts as life taught them. And yet, one sparkle, and maybe, just maybe, they can take a chance. The ending is just perfect, as your story. Thank you!
mousette chapter 35 . 11/26/2018
This story is simply beautiful. I read it all in one day. Finally a happy ending for everyone's favorite BSG couple!
SilverInk.IvoryQuill chapter 35 . 8/5/2018
Oh my goodness I love that story I read it in one swipe through and it kept me awake far too long :)
In my head the child Laura lost would have been Kara. Does that sound about right?
Shikabane-Mai chapter 35 . 1/4/2018
Ughhhhhhhhhhajsksklsld

I can’t believe this story is done. I just spent hours in the wee morning finishing this and now I can’t believe there isn’t more to read.

I wasn’t kidding when I said in my first review that AUs are NOT my thing in BSG. For a number of reasons, but the main one being that I like the existing circumstances in canon that have shaped Bill and Laura into who they are. I want to read about that version of Bill and Laura. But you! You managed to artfully craft a version of both of them that reads exactly like their canon counterparts, stayed true to their characters and their emotional journeys.

Laura is a character I’ve got a very particular interpretation of. And while I certainly don’t expect every writer to have the same interpretation, you fucking knocked me off my feet with how spot on you’ve written her. Her grief and its aftermath, which permeated every fibre of every moment in each chapter, her emotional distance, her running from her past... oh man, you’ve nailed it all.

This has literally become my favourite BSG fic. I’m very happy that my recent BSG rewatch made me decide to look for new BSG fic. I notice that this was published in 2015, which explains why I never saw this fic back in 2011 when I was last hardcore in the BSG fandom.

Even though it’s already 2018, I’ll still hope for more BSG fics from you, especially A/R fics.
Shikabane-Mai chapter 34 . 1/4/2018
Ahhh it WAS a lakehouse! I’m so overcome by joy. Everything has been leading up to this. How right is it that coming back to this place filled with memories that used to be part of her trauma is now a part of her healing process?
Shikabane-Mai chapter 33 . 1/4/2018
I really want to know what Bill’s secret project is and how it’s related to helping Laura’s grief. He must be building something... is it a summer lake house like Laura’s family used to rent?
Shikabane-Mai chapter 32 . 1/4/2018
“Bill the Builder.” I fucking DIED of laughter.

With the way you’ve written Richard, for some reason I can’t help but like him as a character. He seems like a three dimensional character with tons of flaws, but I also can’t help but appreciate that he has helped Laura through so much in the past. Maybe he isn’t what she needs now, but at the time, he sure was enough.

The tension at dinner and Laura’s heartbreak at Zak and Lee shutting her out because she wasn’t really part of the family... ;-; Crying.
Shikabane-Mai chapter 29 . 1/3/2018
There are so many little subtle moments in this fic that make the world, the characters, and the circumstances seem so real. When Laura opened the storage door and was shocked to see everything in disarray, messy penmanship, thinking that she had packed things more neatly... UGHHH I was just dying at how REAL it was. Of course, in her grief and hasty need to shove everything away, out of sight, out of her life, she wouldn’t care to neatly arrange everything. And of course six years later, her reconstructed memories of a traumatic time would be inaccurate.
Shikabane-Mai chapter 28 . 1/3/2018
Zak shoving Lee out of the way so he could hug Laura too had me in stitches. You’ve got the sibling dynamic down so well, from this to the previous chapter when Zak said that if Lee gets to buy the magazine then he gets to have the Zeus bar.

I love how much the kids love Laura. The little family unit they’ve formed is melting my heart.
Shikabane-Mai chapter 27 . 1/3/2018
I HAVE NEVER BEEN FORCED TO EXPERIENCE SUCH A ROLLER COASTER OF EMOTIONS IN ONE CHAPTER.

Jfc, I legit thought you were going to have Bill take the “safe” route and reject a try at a future together, especially after Laura literally hated everything to him. I can’t believe we’ve gone through so many highs and lows and it all started with Bill, the loud af architect next door to Laura who just wants some peace and quiet.
Shikabane-Mai chapter 26 . 1/3/2018
Yesssssssssss. I was literally going “WHAT?! NO!” in my head when Laura was walking away from him. I like that you give her these brief moments where she thinks she can be happy and reaches a state in which she’s willing to take a risk. How she believes that she’s too damaged and broken is killing me in the best way.
Shikabane-Mai chapter 25 . 1/3/2018
Ahhhhh and the truth comes out... in the form of a magazine. I laughed so hard when Lee INSISTED on getting the magazine with Laura on the cover (and Zak then pronouncing that he must have the Zeus bar!). You’ve breathed so much life and character into the two children and into the family unit with Bill. I can’t help but love them.

And oh Bill, don’t give up on you and Laura now!
Shikabane-Mai chapter 23 . 1/3/2018
Marcie! Haha, I’d suspected it would ultimately be up to an outside influence or some coincidence/forced circumstance that would ultimately lead to the truth being revealed. I wonder what Bill will do now.