Reviews for Deep Waters
Melanoriel chapter 1 . 12/19/2014
Beautiful story :)
Alquawende chapter 1 . 10/1/2007
I read this a *long* time ago. It was one of the first I read. I am a huge fan of your Finrod writings. They are just so accomplished and masterpieces of Silm fanfic.

" 'I regard them highly, but desire them I could not.' " In this quote shouldn't Finrod say *will not* because he is bound to Amarie?

I will never be able to figure this out without you. When Finrod says 'I do' does he mean the one about 'how he is holding out' or the one about him having 'desires'? Will you please tell me? That question has been in my head since I first read it.
Nariel chapter 1 . 9/14/2007
I have fallen in love with your stories ever since I read them almost a year ago! I am so glad you have written so many good stories on Finrod, I was wondering though but could you begin to write more Finrod fanfiction? Many people miss your wonderful writing. *Me especially*
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/24/2005
". . . both she and I may have moved beyond desire."

Just one example of several things I'd never thought much about from this short story. Still, the story isn't buried under ideas; the life in it comes through. Thanks partly to Belen, and I guess that's why I like him so much.
jojo11 chapter 1 . 5/24/2004
I like the double-meaning of the titel (i hope i got it wrong and its the same as it is in german).
telling the story from beor's point of view is a great idea. that too, seem a bit as if it was seen through the eyes of a child...
Queen Vaire chapter 1 . 8/5/2003
Bravo, Finch!

The most powerful admission is, "...both she and I may have moved beyond desire.."

Knowing well the tale of Finrod and Amariƫ, you are well on the mark.

As for the hearts and thoughts of men, you have captured it beautifully.

I deem this a nice tale worthy of the Valar!
Casey Toh chapter 1 . 4/18/2003
Very nice. We keep reading about how different Elves are from Men, and we know, but it still brings me sorrow to read about the gulf that was set between the two races, and your story brings us intimately to that gulf.
Jen Littlebottom chapter 1 . 3/21/2003
*sniffle* I wish I could write so well. Finrod is one of my favourite characters, and you really do do him justice in this. The opposing viewpoints of the two races, and the knowledge they both withold, knowing their ways to be alien enough to each other already..

And Belen was just precious. Wise are the eyes of a child, indeed.
Claudi007 chapter 1 . 1/11/2003
What an excellent portrayal of the different races and their ways of thinking. Everything is so honest and natural here in what the characters say and how they act. Just wonderful.
ARtanis chapter 1 . 1/3/2003
Happy Belated New year!

'Tis a great fic, show us the differences and the similarities of Secondborn and Firstborn in most beautiful way. Finrod is the most humane among the Elves, but still very different from Balan. Great work! It's always nice to learn more about Tolkien's universe through a nicely done fic
WatcherChild chapter 1 . 1/2/2003
The conversation between Finrod and Balan is a sad one - it's apparent that some differences cannot be breached, mortality not least of all. I enjoyed the different perceptions that each had toward the other - and I loved Belen!
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 12/17/2002
What an excellent use of foreshadowing and reference: wide-ranging, evocative, moving, and above all, *subtle*. It's *all* there, from beginning to end, (from the Flight to the Pit) - without ever overtly hammering home the past and future parallels in the situation.
Artanis too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 12/15/2002
Wow! *hold breath* This fic is the most beautiful description of the similarities ( and the lack therof) of Firstborn and Secondborn) I especially loved the comparison to tree and grass. Trees DO die. Poor Finrod.

A very beautiful fic. ( and a good writing booster for me. :-))
Celandine Brandybuck chapter 1 . 12/13/2002
The humor of young Belen's observation was perfect - I snorted with laughter, it's just what a child his age would say. And it led beautifully into the more serious discussion between the two adults. A nice exploration of the contrasts between Elvish concepts and attitudes and those of Men, without necessarily reaching any conclusions. Wise - for we never do reach conclusions, do we? Only working hypotheses, and that if we're lucky.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 12/13/2002
Finrod may be called Nom, but it's obvious that even 'the wise one' doesn't have all the answers in this tale. Even here, in this early meeting between the two Kindreds, we can see the seeds from which the humans' later resentment will sprout - and every word that Finrod says in his attempts to show his human friend they stand on common ground backfire, only serving to highlight their differences even more. No matter how much Finrod might wish it to be otherwise, Elves and Men never really can be equals, except in two ways: they both feel pain and loss, and they both love their lives, and the world they live in. And perhaps, in the end, that is enough.