Reviews for Deal with a Devil
Kknd2 chapter 31 . 12/6
Hay Silently Watches, a reader here.

So you've dropped this because of the reasons you stated above. I get that and I think you are right to do so. What isn't right is how it seems you feel about it. You don't owe anyone an apology over this. You told people why you stopped and if they can't accept that then you shouldn't care about their opinion anyway.

So I'll take this ending and be happy with it, because it's true, it's not a particularly happy story. It's possible to write in this Harry's mindset without being in that mindset, but it wouldn't be quality work. You care about quality so you won't and that's a good thing.

If someone else takes it up, I'll give them a shot, but frankly? You've done a remarkable thing in stopping here. In deciding that the effects of working this bit of art really are that hard on you and saying 'No, I am done with this.'

People rarely consider that for true artists, they feel when they do their work. It's not possible to both care about your work and not have emotional investment during the production of it, regardless of medium. The phrase 'happy little trees' comes to mind here as a lighter example.

I'm glad that you saw that, looked at it and had the courage to not only stop, but tell people why you did so.

Sincerely,

a reader.
Kknd2 chapter 21 . 12/6
So I have to admit, that letter from the Flamels, and the touching scene with Dumbledore getting out his original wand to do it?

That is now my head-cannon of what happened. Dumbledore was evil in cannon, but I always had the impression he thought of himself as good. The Flamels were basically the only true 'mentor' figures we have for him. For him to indulge in something that emotional, that personal? That makes too much sense for even the manipulative hypocritical monster of cannon.

So Silently Watches, I want you to know that you've done something great there I had to comment on.
auther dent chapter 1 . 12/4
Great story. Sorry to see it end but it's perfectly understandable. I hope you continue writing other things with a lighter plot. Thanks for the story.
aaa chapter 22 . 12/3
That's really a lousy argument. For one, it's an entirely different matter to kill in the immediate defense of your own life and that of others than it is to hurt and/or kill someone in the long term over a distinctly non-lethal danger that may or may not come to pass. If a real person had murdered them over the same situation, no court in the world would have let them walk free. It's neither morally nor legally equivalent in the slightest.

For the other, Lash had *plenty* of other options. This just happened to be the one that she considered the most convenient to herself personally. She didn't want to put in the effort to do anything more difficult and now three people are paying the price, even if they are really awful people.
aaa chapter 8 . 12/2
I think I'd have appreciated it if you hadn't made Veela look quite so much like White Court without the soul-sucking. The ones we see in the books certainly don't seem all that bad.
aaa chapter 4 . 12/2
"Every time a wizard lights a candle, he has to believe he has the right to conjure fire from nothing."

That's literally how it works in that setting and an acknowledged, large part of just why Dresden is so amazingly scary to a lot of people. Imagine just what it says about him that he considers regularly throwing around large volumes of fire and worse, torching his enemies and causing untold amounts of property damage not just his right, but it fact what the universe needs to be like.

That says some freaking terrible things about a man. Not a lot of people *can* think like that even if they try, which is why competent evokers battle mages are so rare.

The First Law is a lot like how some people have written the unforgivables as working: every killing with magic is murder, because it can't be done for any reason except that you genuinely want a person to die and honestly believe that they *should* be dead.
Skepsis Forever chapter 31 . 11/16
Well, faving this anyway. It was a hell of a ride and by arriving late, I knew the story would be complete(ish), so I can't complain much. Though the 4 Heirs threw me for a loop, I admit their originality as a final boss and one fitting for FA-assisted Harry can't just steamroll over.
Thanks for all the hard work and I'm sorry for its effect on your health. Good luck with everything.
TheYoungerScrolls chapter 31 . 11/14
Love all your work, sad to see this one end early, but you gotta watch out for yourself too!
I'm a bit sad that this story has come to an end (at least for now, I hope someone will pick it up again), but I'm glad to have read it. This story really encompasses what I like about fan fiction; two universes that are smashed into one. Even though you didn't use the Dresden files too much except for Lash, you created her character such that it took the Harry Potter Universe in a different direction that I haven't seen written before (it's a cool thing to know that I can still find unique, odd stories after 3 years) For that, thank you, and I wish you luck in life!
Shikaku Zetsumei chapter 31 . 11/11
Glad you realized how bleak the story was. While I didn't finish it, I'm actually glad you didn't keep forcing yourself to write this rather depressing piece. You phrased it well: Harry taking to just a voice in his head makes for an extremely lonely story.

Shikaku Zetsumei chapter 22 . 11/11
Another thing that seems to have really driven me away from this story is the painfully desperate way Harry tries to get his relatives to care about him. It seemed like even in this chapter that single thought was still on his mind. I understand that was probably what you were going for, but it's the type of behavior I can't stand reading about.

Shikaku Zetsumei chapter 21 . 11/11
Two thirds of the way through the story and I've been having trouble staying interested for more than half of these chapters. Part of it, in my opinion, is caused by a distinct lack of tangible allies for Harry, which limits his interactions severely and makes most of the scenes essentially him talking to Lash. Over time, it gets extremely repetitive. Additionally, I can't help but feel like a lot of minor plot lines and scenes are chosen at random since they don't play a huge role in the main plot and end up being filler. Finally, I can't say I like childish Harry. Maybe I'm jaded but Harry hasn't really developed much throughout the last ten or so chapters. Ultimately the final scene in this chapter was his own doing, but it almost feels like it doesn't matter if he recognizes this or not.

I really liked the concept and initial setup. I recall enjoying Faery Heroes as well. But the plot development has been really slow and I don't think Harry's made any progress on figuring out how to attune his Phoenix feather. The chapters drag on and I found myself skimming, looking for some interesting development rather than paying attention to the plot. Harry just isn't wildly likeable and at times seems exactly like the puppet that Lash was trying to avoid having in the beginning.

brennan.mholmich chapter 31 . 10/19
Why in all seven hells would you not put that this story has been abandon at the START(First. Chapter.) AND in the DESCRIPTION? I assume you just wanted everyone to waste their time with reading this? Honestly, the only reason I noticed, was because I wondered how this story would be completed so fast, when he was barely at Hogwarts, and looked through the chapter list. Thank god I didn't actually have to waste even more of my time.
Reader 99 chapter 31 . 10/17
I actually think where you've left it is not a bad place to do so. It feels like you've wrapped everything up. Yes there's opportunity for it to go more places, but with Hogwarts closed it actually feels like a reasonable place to end the story.

I really enjoyed this story. I'm sorry it was so difficult for you. I'm very thankful you wrote and shared it though. I connect a lot with this version of Harry. It's not as severe as Lash for me most of the time, but ... yeah. So thank you very much. I love your writing and I'm so thankful you keep sharing it.

I hope your residency goes stellar. I hope when I finish my degree I can help fix the 80 hour work week. We literally just studied how that is an awful thing to do to everyone involved. New York has some kind of law to limit the hours but it didn't catch on and is constantly broken. I'm sure if your medical work is anything like you're writing then you're doing amazingly!
caveydude chapter 31 . 10/16
Thank you for sharing. I hope you feel better
2,397 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »