Reviews for The Glitter of Metal
kim-onka chapter 1 . 7/25/2014
A great account of how lost Maedhros must have felt after his rescue, unable to fit into the unfamiliar reality he found himself in and plagued by memories. The parallel with forging a sword is very powerful and fitting, it's beautiful how Curufin's lessons for Celebrimbor inspired Maedhors to come up with that connection and his new name. All the family interactions are lovely. A very in-depth and interesting fic.
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 3/20/2013
This was an awesome story! Well done!
MithLuin chapter 1 . 4/13/2006
Well-done! Maedros is caught between his old life and his new, rather lost...but he seems to be making something from it. He will not grieve his torture for much longer, now that he realizes that Morgoth has merely strengthened him. I like how you tied this all into the concept of names :)
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/9/2005
Vivid, powerful, gorgeous.
Chaos Chao chapter 1 . 9/5/2004
Very nice story, very well written. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Nol chapter 1 . 1/14/2004
Could there be a better depiction of Maedhros' post-trauma bid to reconstruct? There's nothing "happy" about this, particularly since we know everything that went before and after, but it is so powerful. What hit me was the undercurrent of alienation that runs through his point of view. Agonized, confused, but determined as only he could be - I love his character in this.
And everything is so perfectly imagined, and gorgeously described - sounds, colours, dreams. Your stories changed the way I read the Silmarillion, and this remains one of my favourite among the many brilliant ones you write, to which I return over and over again.
Sphinx chapter 1 . 1/9/2004
I liked this very much, which is somewhat surprising, considering that Maedhros isnt exactly one of my favourite characters. But there is certainly something about him that attracts such a large amount of attention in the fandom, and I think you've hit it spot on here.
Very relevant issues, and excellent for much angsting over. I especially liked the latter half of the story, which just seemed to flow so well.
Nice work. :)
lipstick chapter 1 . 7/4/2003
Alright this isn't a nit-pick.

*Lipstick kicks herself hard for not reviewing this fic before*

This story stole my heart when I first read it, and I still read it as a treat to cheer myself up. The whole idea is so smart - yes when exactly did Maitimo turn into Maedhros? It's just something that hapens in the Silm and here you make it feel so quendi um I mean human.

Maedhros may have his faults, but he is inspirational here. The line "But copper id more maleable than steel so I will hope" is just so good.

And hugs to Maedhros for being rubbish at Sindarin. (yeah, I know I'm sure he's not he's just got high standards for himself) His brother trying to teach him...like he's got to learn to speak again. Definitely one of the stories that converted me to fan-fic. Whew! *Lipstick shut up.*
Cirdan chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
I thought I'd reviewed this story, but I guess I haven't. I'm rather fond of it because it plays with words, and though I'm not quite as fanatical as Tolkien, I find it interesting overall. I also loved seeing the brothers being brothers and Maedhros slowly recovering (especially the way he overestimated his strength). "What are you making?" "Weapons, of course. What else would I be forging now?" I love that part. It's very keen to the situation. And the final solution to his name is beautiful. _ So cute... I really love Maedhros the way you write him.
Gemgold chapter 1 . 2/11/2003
A truly Tolkienesque story about crafting and language; it glitters like the metal in the title. You bring out Tolkien's fascination with the relationship between names and things very well, while at the same time turning his characters into people of flesh and blood. Well made.
Starlight chapter 1 . 1/15/2003
How I love your Maedhros! You have such an understanding of his character, his actions, his gestures, the words... it sometimes seems to me as though you actually knew him (wouldn't that be nice, though?) I have always admired the way you create such a well-rounded family dynamics, and this story shows o much of these! Not only by having them use those names they so much loved in each other, but which also meant so much to them!

This is really a very moving picture about their feelings about their knew home. How, all of a sudden, these people lost everything they held dear! Their home, their family, their father... and they were losing their identity too. At this point in his life, I think Maedhros needs the assurance of who he is and why did he took those choices that have led him to this fate. It was all wonderful, Ithilwen. Thanks for writing stories like these!
WatcherChild chapter 1 . 1/2/2003
Very plausible explation for his name choice - it makes a lot of sense. Malleable yet sturdy.

I enjoyed the interactions with his brothers, and I most especially enjoyed the part where he comes upon Curufin and Celebrimbor in the forge, and how for a few seconds he thought he was looking at his father and little Curufin.
Ivanneth chapter 1 . 12/16/2002
Simply wonderful. You have no idea how much my image of Maedhros owes to your tales. Love the way you bring Tolkien's languages into this... well, I always thought that Maedhros had the coolest collection of names of all the Elves. :) But you really make them come alive here, if that makes any sense. Thanks for a great story!
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 12/14/2002
What a great story! Excellent use of images and names. I can just see the forge, and the sword, and the copper being formed.

I also hope one day the name will suit Maedhros, but he does seem to have been more warped than forged. But maybe not. He has so many stories about him, but he's such a complex chatacter, there still feels like so much is left to understand.
Finch chapter 1 . 12/14/2002
This story has a mythological ring to it. I'm absolutely convinced the master himself would have applauded the way you gave meaning to the contraction of Maitimo & Russandol, and it was a real thrill to read something so close to the quality of the original. The way you 'braid' the language lesson, Maedhros' thoughs about himself, and Curufin in his smithy into one single conclusion is simply brillant.