Reviews for The Glitter of Metal
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 12/14/2002
This last story is very sad, and I think that this is because you went to write about Maedhros in Middle- Earth as a sudden change from those stories where he was in Valinor. It seems as if all had been so sudden! He has lost everything; even his name, and his way of feeling identifed with the tempered blade gives me shudders.

And points for you for the images of Curufin and his son at the forge, and of Maedhros escaping into the forest while Maglor was away..Who would have said it?
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 12/14/2002
This is a gorgeous story, and your Maedhros is lovely. You're going to turn me into a fangirl before long if you keep writing about him! Interesting idea about how he came by his name, and you have such an insight into his character. It's nice to see Curufin not being evil for a change, too.

*much applause*

BTW, thanks soooo much for posting the sword-making link! I'm trying to write an Eöl story, and since I know pretty much nothing about metalwork, I've had to be really vague with descriptions. I'm sure it'll make writing him a lot easier. :)
jillian baade chapter 1 . 12/14/2002
I loved the language lesson, Curufin and Celebrimbor, oh all the elves were lovely. The dark descriptions of Maedhros' torment, and how watching the forge, the heat and fire brought back all the memories of the horrible torture. Makes you want to give the elf a big hug! Sad that he thinks he doesn't deserve his mother name any more, untrue of course. Very beautiful, how he came by his Sindarin name, and I love the title of the fic too. What a gorgeous yuletide gift for the readers!
Kayrie chapter 1 . 12/13/2002
Well done. Very faithfull to the Silmarillion. Also, great job on grammar (grammar lacks very much on ).
erunyauve chapter 1 . 12/13/2002
What a moving account of Maedhros as he adjusts to life after the torture he has undergone! His interpretation of the streaked sword reminded me of the story of the stork (a traditional tale, I think, but I know it from 'Out of Africa') - something of hope arises out of despair when Maedhros realizes that what has happened to him is a part of his making. Rather than bitterness, I sense that he feels that what he will become - the pattern that will show itself in time - has been altered, but not necessarily tainted. Like copper, he can bend without shattering; he is determined to adapt, and thus takes a name that suits his evolving nature.
Ita chapter 1 . 12/13/2002
A bit dark, but like you said, since this is a Maedhros fic...

Have I mentioned how much I like your portrayal of Maedhros? He's so adorable (?)... )
21 | « Prev Page 1 2