Reviews for A Feddie Story
AceCoopers chapter 1 . 4/30/2020
One of the best U.C fics out there, I'm glad I found this.
ByLanternLight chapter 8 . 1/19/2019
This story is absolutely amazing. Definitely one of my favorite UC fics. 6/5
shoootme chapter 8 . 1/10/2018
A very good story, spelling and grammar spot on. Story is well done and could be a official side story with a bit of 8TH MS Team but more down to earth and with tanks. Characters, all feel well done and are introduced with one sentence each then developed through dialogue and actions, the show don't tell approach. This would get a Sieg Zeon from me but you have proven that the only valid response to that is two rounds of HEAT.
roguespirit chapter 8 . 7/4/2017
This definitely has a feeling of authenticity to it. I really enjoyed the interactions with the characters and the real but not overdone reality of war. It's about time someone did a story about the tankers in the Earth Alliance. After reading Gundam Thunderbolt this helped scratch that itch that had been building for me.

The thing I liked most is that your story isn't dedicated to pairing anyone. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I like to see stories in this timeline actually write about the war that happened. This provides an interesting perspective and a good one. Looking forward to the next chapter
Lolroflcake chapter 8 . 5/27/2017
Hey just wanted to let you know that I liked what you've got here and it works as a story on its own with what you have right now.

However, and I might have missed this, I don't feel like justice was really done to how lightly armoured a mech would be relative to a tank. Their nature as mechs and potential spacecraft mean that they would have extreme, and I mean really extreme, mass limitations. As spacecraft they are expected the carry out constant and extreme maneuvers to complete their objective's meaning that most of their mass would have to be devoted to fuel and fuckhueg engines. On the ground they literally walk on two feet meaning that all of the mass from their weapons, armour and other stuff is put on a relatively small area and they risk going the way of a German blitzkrieg in Russian mud.

There is simply no room on them for any sort of protection that isn't shoot the other guy first.
CaptainDavidBlake chapter 3 . 9/5/2016
I'm really enjoying this one.

I like how you portray combat between Mobile Suits and conventional forces, and assess the weaknesses and strengths of each unit in what I feel to be a rather just fashion. One of the things that annoy me in some Gundam shows, and mecha anime for the most part, is the lack of concept of combined arms. I always felt that BattleTech has portrayed this better than most settings by having each weapon system filling a niche on the field. You do manage to do exactly that. Mobile Suits - great in a straight fight in the open or in a city. Tanks - great to ambush other units and pput that AP round where it counts. Aircraft - they harass you, they kill your supply lines, and if they get a ground unit well aligned they will murder it.

Another thing I'm enjoying seeing is the care with the importance of logistics - the single greatest problem in any military campaign. Great catch!

Also, the effort to show both sides of the battle is appreciated - that makes war stories all the better in my opinion.

I'll keep reading, and keep giving feedback as I do.
Va1erian chapter 6 . 11/14/2015
A very nice chapter. The Zeon segment was quite well done. The Federation side had good character interactions, a good combat scene and decent setup for the plan.

The only flaw I could see was placement of Jeanette's team early on. The previous chapter, they were in Albany, but somewhere in this chapter they suddenly appear in New York City and there isn't any explanation how they got there since Garma's forces were still ostensibly occupying the city. I assume they sneaked in, but I'm not sure. So if you could make that a bit more clear that would be much appreciated.
Synthesis chapter 6 . 11/11/2015
Suddenly I'm much less ashamed of my gratuitous 80s and 90s series cameos. Katrina Steiner, eh? I take it Victor Davion was too busy fighting the Jovians? I actually started writing a Wolf Dragoon's fanfic in the MW2: Merc's setting years ago, but to fortunate for everyone, I gave up on it.

I feel like there should have been more attention paid to the Antarctic Treaty which is a bit more complicated than a piece of paper that says "No nukes, mmmkay?" and weighing in on both the letter of the document and where it could be exploited-but that's just I eat up details like that. I did enjoy Cima's nightmarish description of Federation responses after the One Week War, though I feel like she must be missing some part of the picture (breakdowns among certain Federal naval squadrons, brigandry among cut-off units on either side, other things), but that's certainly plausible, it's not like she has the whole picture no matter what. Really, I felt like the whole Zeonic side of the chapter was very, very strong, particularly enjoyed Cima (as usual), but Garma made a good showing and I really enjoyed him finally connecting the dots between M'Quve and, more painfully, Gineas Sahalin (I would add, literally any 08 MS Team reference would probably make me happy, for better and worse).

The Federal side of the story wasn't bad by any means just...not as grabbing. The interplay between Mike and Jeanette was good, as usual. By far what stood out most was Jeanette's observation about Cima's long hair, also a brilliant extrapolation about mobile suit cockpits (versus sitting within spitting distance of, presumably, an autoloader, mechanical rammer, or even just a turret drive mechanism). Hah! Wait till she runs into a Ground GM or Ground Gundam, and sees the likes of Karen Joshua and her long hair (and optional helmet), I'd pay to see her eat her heart out! Otherwise the combat was totally serviceable, just didn't stand out to me (nothing wrong with that).

Appreciated the appearance of a Vist in Zeonic uniform-assuming that can be justified (I feel like there's not a lot explained about the Vists in general, so seeing them on either side during the war is plausible, but sort of demands explanation at some point). Vist Tower was a nice touch, though I doubt that registered too much with the family member in uniform. All in all, a solid chapter and a welcome update.
FraserMage chapter 6 . 11/10/2015
Isn't the Daggerstar an 8-pointed star, not a 6? Has me wondering what this ace's name is... actually.
Synthesis chapter 5 . 9/9/2015
I found myself paying more attention to the pre/post battle interplay between crew members, which I expected, and wasn't disappointed. Enjoyed the jab at Professor Minovsky. Kind of surprised New York State is still a clear geographic distinction, but I know I shouldn't be, it's only ~110 years in the future or so. Why shouldn't Albany (or New Albany) be the capital?

Interesting to see the characters see the war in such a global perspective, but sensible and true to what we got in MSG when the topic was discussed. I would have thought large, unfriendly crowds would have been more worrying given the fear of a bomber (or a bomb thrower) then a ghost town, but it makes sense in their terms.

Sad Cima wasn't in this chapter, but given the length, very understandable. Not as pure fun or enjoyment as the previous chapter, but still a good showing.
Synthesis chapter 4 . 9/2/2015
Well, I didn't get that debriefing of the Zeon POWs I was hoping for, but Cima's appearance definitely makes up for that. Chapter 3 had a strong MSV-R vibe to it (nothing wrong with that), but this one was very 08 MS Team in feel, which I also enjoy. It seems like the central cast isn't used to running into the likes of "smart" commanders like Admiral Kellerne who had no trouble retreating whenever it gave them an edge (or kept them alive). I still have trouble imagining Cima on Earth (she seems much more the colony insertion type, a sort of proto-ECOAS, but for the Principality), but her meeting with Garma was very enjoyable-I got a very strong vibe of what she might have been like as a secondary character in "The Plot to Kill Gihren Zabi", as that was around the same time roughly. Revil's appearance was well done too, it's always good to see more of him than we had an opportunity too (Origins is good about that, at least). Kind of surprising Cat wasn't made a Second of First Lieutenant, but a Captain, but whatever works for the purposes of the story,
Synthesis chapter 2 . 8/18/2015
Various details that might be bothersome-it rains inside colonies (even Side 3), albeit on a schedule and not very hard, maybe the sergeant just isn't aware of the fact? Also, I found myself trying to figure out how you'd put an automatic cannon in 60 mm caliber on a Type 74 (aside from 'very big tank turret'), and...I can't figure it out. Especially as 'brrrrt', to me, implies some sort of multi-barrel/chamber weapon, not an autocannon. That'd be sticking a naval gun on a military hovercraft, but I guess you can make it work. I mean, using the same caliber as mobile suit head vulcans (I think?) makes perfect sense, but there's a reason why they're on mobile suits, versus the 20 mm gun on the Type 74. A 60 mm light gun might've made a lot more sense.

But I guess that's all window dressing. I'm enjoying the back-and-forth between Jeanette, Ritchie and Cat so far. Good observation about the Zeon having trouble training pilots (so much as being a fighter is different whether in space on in the atmosphere). Good, easy reading once I put aside some minutia that bothers me. I do look forward to any interaction with the Zeon prisoners in the next chapter.

Possibly purist issue-I actually like the use of 'Zekes' for Zeon, but 'Feddies' always annoys me, maybe because it's two syllables versus one.
Synthesis chapter 1 . 8/14/2015
That's a hell of a security question-I think a lot of North Americans wouldn't know that either. Still, it serves its purpose. I like what I've read so far, I tried to do a tanker story myself, settled for the Eva Reboots as the setting, but I had a lot of trouble keeping them in the actual tank. I think you'll do better. I'm excited to see what other Fed (and Zeon) armored fighting vehicles appear, if there are even enough in the existing universe for a proper ground campaign. Aside from a strong IGLOO vibe, I'm also seeing a little 08 MS TEAM, that I like, but that'll probably depend on how much we see in the way of GMs.
Nakushita chapter 2 . 5/7/2015
Interesting, is this influenced by MS igloo?
Va1erian chapter 1 . 5/4/2015
Good start, enough detail in the fight to get me involved, good communication between the crew to showcase that while they are new to combat, they have been trained.

Nice job show-casing how terrifying Zaku's are while pointing out their issues in combat (too high a profile, can't hide).
This isn't your issue, as you are staying true to canon, but I always found the fact that early mobile suits were so superior to tanks despite weighing less and using lighter-caliber weapons, rather off-putting.

Lastly, I very much enjoy the concept of following a Feddie tank crew through the OYW, as the Federation uses numbers and sheer grit to induce an 8 month stalemate before the events of Mobile Suit Gundam kick in. A lot of untold stories in that period.