Reviews for Goddess in Chains
ImanSlytherin chapter 1 . 9/4
Yo, I actually really love this iteration of Minerva. Though, let's be real, if she were on Voldemort's side, he'd have had the whole prophecy, not just the fragment that Snape communicated, which means there'd have been no famous Potter.
All the same, this was a good read, thanks!
DobbyRocksSocks chapter 1 . 10/27/2015
Wow. Just... Wow. This is incredible. (To say it was speed written is just... Yeah. Go you!) anyway, I loved this so much. Dark!Minerva is something Ive never read before, and will probably never see written so well again, because damn you killed it.

The last section in particular is my favourite, but all the way through your descriptions are stunning.

This is fabulous.
TheNextFolchart chapter 1 . 7/29/2015
There was a fan theory floating around a while back about Minerva being the REAL spy Voldemort had at Hogwarts. Is that what inspired this?

It's a testament to Riddle's charisma and manipulativeness that he managed to get someone as strong-willed as McGonagall to follow him blindly. I appreciate how well you kept both of them in character, but particularly Minerva. She's opinionated and won't tolerate people she doesn't like, but she's also fiercely loyal to the people she does like (I love the line about her being the only lioness who claps when Riddle is Sorted). In a backwards sort of way, it's very Gryffindor of her to join Riddle's cause.

The scene with Minerva talking to Dumbledore is straight out of that fan theory, with Dumbledore misinterpreting her distress as regarding Lily and James instead of Voldemort. Having her burst through the Dark Mark shield to kill Dumbledore in the next scene is a beautiful reveal, although I definitely didn't see it coming and I thought you were going to stick more closely to canon. It was a great little twist, having her be a horcrux!

You're killing me with these mythology references. Hades and Persephone are the most intriguing Greek couple; I like to associate them with Riddle and Ginny, and it's interesting that you see Tom in Hades too! I've never ventured into Dark!Minerva territory before, so thank you for giving me a great introduction to this side of the fandom.
ElizabethAQB chapter 1 . 7/5/2015
Really good ! This is a very interesting couple !
Laser Lance 720 chapter 1 . 6/29/2015
A very fascinating AU. One I've never seen before. I really enjoy that. It's always fun to see new and creative takes on characters and story lines, and this was one of those amazing ones.
Once more, your attention to details is amazing. Each scene was so very well written and so full f gorgeous lines. Absolutely beautiful.
Lara1221 chapter 1 . 6/28/2015
An AU at the top would've been nice; an unusual pairing doesn't always mean that a character entirely changes allegiance, and I was incredibly confused as it went on, waiting for her to return to the light side.

Anyway, this is a really interesting scenario and I think something really cool for you to explore. I love the possibility and the way you developed it. I like how even though Minerva is completely dark in the end, she maintains some of her canon personality - passionate, strong, etc. Your descriptions in this one - the language and comparisons you used - in particular were incredibly powerful. They just made your writing that much more beautiful and I had a marvelous time reading it. I guess one problem that I had with this was that Minerva was ten years younger than Riddle, and the way she acted when students asked about him would've been far different in the books if she had been there, and also that Isobel named her daughter after her great grandmother, an excellent witch, not the goddess of wisdom, but I understand it was necessary for the sort of marvelous AU you created. However, it was kind of weird that you switched back and forth between greek (hades; (olympus, a mountain in greece that the romans would never have their gods on) and roman (minerva) names.

But obviously I did really enjoy it and your storytelling is dramatic and gripping here; it was a fantastic read.
Iesh chapter 1 . 6/28/2015
Wow, this was really well written. The descriptions were great. "The burning darkness and the chilling light" was so contradictory but it fit the two really well. I liked the allusion to Hades and Persephone too (especially since your title was based on Greek Mythology too). I was expecting it to be like other Minerva/Tom pairings where they fall in love and then fall apart later. But you made it different and that's what I liked. When it said that they were the first "Knight of Walpurgis", I like "Yeah!". Haha. Great story.
FancifulRivers chapter 1 . 6/26/2015
Oh my, this is brilliant. I've never read Dark! Minerva before, and I have to say I'm actually really glad this is. I don't think it would have been as good if she'd ended up turning away or he'd tricked/duped her and she'd gone to the Order instead. It's interesting how he chipped away at her reservations, considering she was horrified at Myrtle's death in the Chamber, yet didn't care at all about the Prewett twins. I also find it interesting that Riddle made her his Horcrux. Perhaps he did know something of love, although nothing like Dumbledore imagined, I'm sure. I love this.
NeonDomino chapter 1 . 6/26/2015
Ohhh I really liked this one too. I thought it was going to fit more with canon at first - where Minerva would give up on Tom Riddle when Myrtle died... but instead you have her sticking with him and becoming one of his Death Eaters. I really enjoyed reading about a darker McGonagall and love that you had her kill Dumbledore!
alyssialui chapter 1 . 6/25/2015
Wow this was different. I've read your other Minerva/Tom stores and I've wished I could write as well as you do. You paint such a vivid picture of how their relationship develops, of how he moulds the bad side of her, of how she gives herself to him enough to join his cause, and in the end how she gets her revenge for her death and won't fall at the Light Side's hands.
This was excellent, Shane.
Little.Miss.Xanda chapter 1 . 6/25/2015
Dark!Minerva, this is a first for me. I really like it, even though I usually don't read Tom paired with anyone but Harry. I loved what you did with their relationship, how Tom slowly corrupted her, and how she was loyal until the end.
You made it so emotional that I was hoping they would win in the end.
I would have like it more if there had been just a little bit of it in Tom's POV, I think it would have been interesting to see, but that's just my personal taste, and not a flaw of the story itself.
So, all in all, you did an amazing job with this.
Rayniekinnz chapter 1 . 6/12/2015
This was a very interesting concept and a pairing I've always enjoyed, though I did think some of the themes were a bit overused or could have been explained better. There were a few misplaced commas throughout, but I see you mentioned in your end note that this was done quickly.

Overall, I really enjoyed, and as always, your descriptions were great and though I think Tom was a bit off in some places, I loved your characterisations.

Great job!
Angelo Della Magnolia chapter 1 . 6/5/2015
Oh my gods. Oh my gods. Oh my gods! NEW OTP! Someone, anyone! Get the OTP sign! NOW! *grabs giant neon sign* Go new OTP!

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system, we can begin the actual review.

First things first. The quote at the beginning...it's so...awesome! It fits with this fic perfectly and putting it there at the beginning was brilliant!

Sorting hat! How dare you! Minerva is wise! Wait... Okay... Maybe not. Wow. That's one smart hat.

"She's the only lioness who claps." No idea why, but that line just really speaks to me.

Ooh! What's this? Our wise, Gryffindor goddess is plotting something with Slytherin Malfoy? Seems like you have some snake in you, Minerva.

Riddle! You're using Minerva to research for you?! How lazy!

"Walburga is too busy plotting to behead her family house-elves." That line just made me crack up. Really, I was laughing for five minutes and I still couldn't stop!

Minerva? A dancer?! Strangely, I can see that happening. Still, Minerva? A dancer?!

"Like Hades and Persephone, they writhe in tantric pleasure" Oh my Olympians, this line...How do you do this Shane?! How can you write such brilliant words?! *glares suspiciously* Are you a son of Athena in disguise?

Dear Olympus, Minerva is a Death Eater?! It makes sense and it fits so beautifully into the story, but really?! I can imagine it but at the same time, my head is screaming at me to remember canon. Minerva... A Death Eater... *faints*

*wakes up to continue the review*
"I should have know. That you were his goddess of death." Oh, the feels! The stunning, beautiful, heavenly feels! *faints again*

She's a horcrux?! Minerva?! Oh my gods! Tom, you trust Minerva enough to store part of your soul inside her? How adorable!

The ending. Wow. The ending. How sad, yet beautiful, yet oh so perfect!

P.S It is not my fault that I'm extra hyper today. I only got three hours of sleep on one of the hospital chairs that are half my size. So yeah... Me fainting during this review may either be form exhaustion of because your fic was so well done that my brain overloaded. (It's eight and I just woke up)
Guest chapter 1 . 5/18/2015
I don't have much to say, but I love reading your writing. Thanks for sharing your work with us.
ChatterChick chapter 1 . 5/10/2015
Damn, Dark!Minevra is something I never would have expected. I was totally waiting for some heartbreak where Minevra realized that Tom was using her and then dedicated herself to the Order but nope, not here. Not sure if I buy the relationship, but that’s a personal preference.

Interesting that Minevra protested in the beginning when Myrtle died, but I guess her reservations were slowly chipped away as she became more involved with Tom.

Pretty sure you copied some of these scenes from your other Tom/Minevra fic, the line “Yes I’m named for the Goddess of Wisdom” looked really familiar. ;)

Good job!