Reviews for Draco Malfoy and the Practice of Rationality
Ok I'm still not a hater but I definitely dislike authors that end with a cliffhanger. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this and I liked how it was mostly from Dracos perspective. I would like to see some parts explained and/or resolved but I understand that it might ruin the suspense and mystery.
I can't help but wonder if the map was made by the marauders or if it's a much older artifact. It doesn't seem likely for a bunch of teenagers to create something so powerful.

Incidentally, I just realized I've read over forty chapters after thinking that I'll just quickly check out this hpmor story that many people apparently hated. I don't think I'm one of the haters!
Damn Harry’s straight up been keeping Voldemort’s lobotomized corpse transfigured for literal millennia.
Anon chapter 65 . 7/22/2021
SPOILER

The quote is

Opposition is true friendship
Guest chapter 45 . 7/8/2021
Disconnected stories. I could read till this by sheer reading habit but it gets worse.
plus5keen chapter 17 . 3/4/2021
I forgot something in my previous nitpicks. Even though Parseltongue can't be learned, Draco could use his snake Patronus to translate. Only Parseltongues are cursed to be unable to lie in that language, maybe, so it might be one-way truthfulness? But Voldemort does say "Snakes can't lie," so maybe it works both ways?

Anyway, he should be able to extract truth from Harry, at Harry's discretion, but since he can't understand Parseltongue directly, he can't actually verify that it can't be used to lie. Maybe. If he told his snake to lie about something he knew and Harry didn't, Harry could get the truth to provide evidence for said truthfulness.
plus5keen chapter 16 . 3/4/2021
This fic is generally pretty good. I nevertheless feel compelled to make some continuity nitpicks. The Chalice is a nice idea, but Harry requested that Amelia Bones announce the Stone to the Wizengamot. Slytherin duels are an interesting concept, but Draco indicated that Veritaserum would be difficult to acquire and against school rules. Parseltongue cannot be learned (which canon seems to disagree on, to some extent?). Draco seems to think that Voldemort knew how to lose, but it wasn't public knowledge that Monroe was Voldemort, and Draco isn't in on that particular secret, and Quirrel even explicitly stated the opposite about Voldemort. Harry seems to think he should have told the truth to Draco about his encounter with Voldemort, without them sealing those memories, but Harry would absolutely not do that, since it would be too damaging to let that secret get out at all. He wouldn't even tell his co-conspirators from The Order of the Phoenix about that part.

I also suspect that Felix Felicis doesn't exist in the HPMoR setting, just because Voldemort would have used it. Unless, perhaps, there's some extreme drawback to its extremely broad positive effects, such as a risk that it instead causes bad luck, or a certainty that it will cause bad luck after the good luck wears off.

Beyond those points, I'd also suggest tightening up the perspective. There are times when the narrative here jumps all-too-smoothly from one character's thought processes to another's. That's jarring to read and is inconsistent with the HPMoR style. It could be patched over with some scene-break markers, even if the scene itself continues, just from a new perspective.

One last nitpick is that Harry would probably already be working on space travel, just in case the world gets destroyed sooner rather than later, so that humanity might survive the destruction.

I just wanted to get all that unloaded from my brain so I could go back to enjoying your great work here. Everything I've mentioned is basically incidental to your story, based on what I've read so far, hence nitpicks.
DanielSilverjay chapter 53 . 2/11/2021
Hello there Tao.
In regards to your note, I must say that even if it is confusing the first time you read it, it should be exactly as it has been. About the order of the scenes, well... I'd probably do it as well as you did if I managed to gather courage and publish something, or way worse. So I am not particularly preocupied by that, I think that although it is not perfect you have reached yet another milestone in the road towards writing very clever and complicated plots, and that I enjoyed it inmensely. Tbh, I have read published works before (I mean actual books here) and some had as much confusion as this piece of work of yours did, so I feel the need to congratulate you for not publishing this formally and still making it a milestone.

Also, do not be so hard with yourself, even if the rest of the readers comment so. Readers do comment with some advantage, because we haven't been troubled with writing the story and being it the first one we came up with.

Another important thing that I value enormously, maybe because my main hobby is roughly worldbuilding with extreme detail everything (damned perfectionist genes), is the amount of reading and checking you must have done - if not related to the actual version of HPMOR, since I read it recently during the last you years and each misplaced characters stands out as a sore thumb, at least related to all the maths and puzzles and tests and mind games you must have researched. As well as the books. Of course, having you mention them at each author's note was of great help to extending my reading list hahaha. I do hope I will find them all available online, because I certainly do not have the money for buying them all, even if I will regret not doing so.

So overall, I want to thank you for publishing this story. True, it is a fanfic. True, there is road for improvement. But you can always come back and reflexionate about it, as long and only as long as you do not edit the original idea, but a copy of it.

Thank you greatly again for sharing this with us.

Best regards,
Daniel Silverjay
Halbeliebe chapter 1 . 12/30/2020
Hi! I was wondering what other works one should read in advance (except for hpmor) for this to make sense? Started to read it and wondered where i can read about the sacking of Azkaban that is mentioned in passing...
MB chapter 65 . 8/31/2020
I enjoyed the start of the story but found the Peverell break-in incomprehensible and everything after that confusing and almost random. I was also distracted by the terrible grammar. Please learn the difference between "its" and "it's". This came up in practically every chapter and broke my concentration every time.
ArturiusRex8 chapter 12 . 4/13/2020
On the 'Hot Hand effect' there is also somewhat of a placebo factor to consider, where people's belief effects the outcome. Does player confidence due to a 'streak' lead to better performance?
Guest chapter 42 . 10/8/2019
I’ve been binging this series over the past few days- I can’t get enough.
steven.zuber.39 chapter 65 . 9/11/2019
I know there was some mixed reception of the last third or so of this story, and I admittedly liked the first half more than the second, but I wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed binge-reading this and have recommended it to several friends and plugged it on my podcast. It feels (especially in the first half) like a great spiritual successor to HPMoR. Thanks for writing this. :)
Aquawyrm chapter 10 . 8/30/2019
OMG! Lockheart's ACTUALLY COMPETENT!

...he'd better not turn out to be Voldemort.
abexalixih chapter 28 . 7/28/2019
Sooo Hermione is going to see the wizard rip-off of Death Note with Draco Malfoy, and I can not wait.