Reviews for Bringing Gifts
Guest chapter 1 . 9/2/2013
Interesting take on this story, it was great!
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 3/27/2012
Amazingly written!
The All Real Numbers Symbol chapter 1 . 11/27/2011
This was a good story.
RedWarden58 chapter 1 . 3/6/2011
Wow this was a beautiful piece of writing. I think it would be one of the few pieces of fanfiction that Tolkien would approve of whole-heartedly.

I got to admit though I would love to see a companion piece about how Valinor would react to the news of Maglor excepting the gift of men. For some reason I can’t see them taking it well.
LadyKnightofCelestia chapter 1 . 8/10/2009
Wow... I totally agree. Awesome story.
Tindomiel chapter 1 . 3/21/2006
What a beautiful retelling of an old story, with our favourite elf too. The dialogue was wonderfully and poetically phrased, and the ending was very moving.
Rosemary For Remembrance chapter 1 . 7/21/2004
wow, for some reason, this really touched me. I've never seen anything quite like this, but for some reason, it works out very well.

Good Job!
toastedcheese chapter 1 . 1/31/2003
Wow... that was profound. I think that Tolkien would approve. :)
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 1/9/2003
I'm always a little funny about stories that mix and mingle the Middle-Earth mythology with Earth mythology/theology. If it's meant to be an ALTERNATE mythology for our world, it seems a little weird to put them together and try to make them coexist.. I dunno. Or maybe it's that I don't like the idea that there even COULD be some deep beautiful history of my world that no one even remembers. It's way too sad. So I like to keep Middle-Earth and Earth carefully segregated.

That said...

This was a very beautiful way to intergrate them.

Lol... I guess that would've sounded more like praise if I would've said it first, huh?

["I give my voice," the wise man said.

"He does not need it," said the girl. "His power will be greater than words or sound. He brings all gifts within himself."]

I'm not sure... this just doesn't connect with me, to the humble girl who said "I am the handmaid of the Lord," or the one who "kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart." I mean...

Mary knows, and the magi know that the gifts aren't anything that are going to be the be all and end all of Christ's life on Earth... but that doesn't mean they aren't at all important, or worth accepting with kindness. The gift itself isn't the important part, but the journey seeking the Christ-child, I would think?

Moving on,

The part set during the Crucifixion...

It... almost doesn't seem like Maglor is feeling any compassion, at all. I'm not clear on what he's feeling, period. Christ bleeds his innocent blood all over the cross, and all Maglor can think is 'meh, I've seen worse suffering. Heck, I've caused worse suffering,' then "But he was supposed to teach me". So... he continues to think about himself? What exactly HAS he learned?

(Is it always about you, Maglor? *ahem* sorry)

And despite all my qualmy criticisms, I really DIDN'T mean for this to be a negative review! This really is a gem of a story. The piece has some truly lovely imagery (light, as usual. The visual connection is there, with the stars, of course), and the connecting concept, of opening the "Gift of Men" to all the children of the Father is just beautiful.

(I really am so sorry to criticize... I'm not a theologian - not even much of a writer - and I'm sure I haven't pondered these things as deeply as you have. I was just kind of oddly struck by odd things, and it seemed better to say something overall than to just not review.)
Artanis chapter 1 . 1/3/2003
I just realise the complexity of your fic now. That it is not Maglor's death that purifies him, but the willing to let go what he held dear most: immortality, his oath, guilt to accept new life, though not as glorious as before. It's just what Christ did: humbling himself.

I am amazed! No one I knew had ever think of His sacrifice in this way, that His willingness to live like a mortal redeemed us too, not merely His death.

Happy New Year by the way. And may all Deities who can hear our prayers grant you with more and more muse and insights.
Ilmare1 chapter 1 . 12/31/2002
Wow, this is beautiful.
Adrienne-the-barbarian chapter 1 . 12/24/2002
*cries*
EvilStorm chapter 1 . 12/24/2002
*rocking back and forth* oh my god, oh my god. that was just beautiful. words cannot begin to describe how wonderful, how amazing that was. thank you, thank you a thousand times over for this.

ES
Arwen Imladviel chapter 1 . 12/22/2002
Wonderful. Was not one, indeed, named Melchior in legend?
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 12/16/2002
Oh, Deborah, how lovely, and what a clever idea to like the line of Elros with the line of David.

This story made me tear up, which does not happen often. How daring of you, and how much in the spirit of Tolkien, to show how the One would save even the worst of us if we would only accept His Gift.