Reviews for To Be a Slytherin
Ria chapter 55 . 9/16
That last line was absolutely beautiful!
hannah.mnt chapter 160 . 9/16
This is one of the best fics I've ever read.
mellberry chapter 160 . 9/11
I've probably read this fanfiction at least 3 times since I first found it when you were will writing it. And it's still my absolute favorite piece on this website. I'm not gonna lie, I like this more than the actual Harry Potter series, and since JKR has some less-than-pleasing opinions on people I care very much about, I'd much rather read more Harry Potter fanfiction than support her and read her books over again.

It's been a few years since this piece was completed, but I'll still end up reading it every year and enjoying it just as much as the first time I read it.
Charliebear13 chapter 160 . 9/9
Best fanfiction I’ve ever read
Janeth16 chapter 160 . 9/4
Wow awesome.

I have no words to say how much I love this story. It is absolutely a masterpiece.

I have loved each of the chapters, from beginning to end. You are definitely an incredible and magnificent writer, the way each chapter is written, the dialogues, the development of the plot, the growth and development of each of the characters, the feelings and emotions that each character expresses in the face of the situations that they pass, everything has been magnificent.

The way you showed us the world of Harry Potter from Lorena Potter's perspective has been something out of this world, something incredible and of an unmatched quality.
Lorena Potter was incredible, as I was reading each chapter I could feel her feelings and emotions firsthand, it felt so real and so vivid. It made me feel part of the world of Harry Potter through the eyes of Lorena Potter.

I have lost count of how many times I have already read this story, each time I read it again it awakens the same excitement and curiosity to read one more chapter as if it were the first time.

You are a wonderful writer, thank you for writing this story.
I started reading this yesterday morning. I have just finished it. I just need to say that I absolutely love this story so much. Definitely one of my favourites. The writing is amazing, Lorena is amazing, Draco is amazing. Honestly I just love everything about it. Wherever you decide to take this story, I’ll support it all the way. This is probably just another comment among thousands, not even likely to be seen, but in the off chance the writer does find this, thank you. Stories like these make me so happy, where I can follow the characters and grow with them and you’ve done an excellent job. You’ve shown sides to these characters that I’ve never read before, and there’s been many since the original was made (not that I’ve read them all.) Thank you for being such a brilliant writer and bringing these characters to life. ~ Gemma
A fan of Rena chapter 148 . 8/10
The story starts out with a pretty well-rounded and decent protagonist and I especially love the part about her first year. I love the creativity of Lorena’s potion inventions, the flashbacks to Voldemort’s childhood to flesh him out and the portrayal of good background Slytherins overlooked in canon. These are things that I have always wanted to see in HP fanfic but rarely ever done so well. You even inspired me to write my own story. However, the flaws of the story have become more and more glaring to the point that I have to drop it. That’s not to say I do not love your story. Let’s just say I expected more from an author of your calibre.

First off, let’s talk about the story’s official couple - Draco Malfoy. Draco in the canon is a racist, dumbass (admittedly a very adorable one) and an arsehole, but not an unredeemable. He has the potential to change and become a good person, and he does become one in canon - someone who deserves Lorena. I don’t know, I just expected more than the Draco in the leather pants trope. I looked forward to seeing Draco realise his mistakes, change and redeem himself.

Secondly, the bashing. The Harry, Ron and Dumbledore bashing are just way too much for me. Dumbledore is wise and kind-hearted to take Snape under his wings despite his history and less than wonderful life choices. He also noticed the troubling nature of Voldemort the first time they met. The way Dumbledore treated Lorena in this story is not how the canonically best politician of his time would act. As for the Harry bashing (yes I would consider it bashing), Harry values family a lot. He loves Ron so much because to him Ron is his brother all but in blood only. That is not how Harry would treat Lorena, particularly because all the house prejudices have not yet had the time to take root in his head and also because Harry himself was also almost sorted into Slytherin. He would not hate on his sister just because of the house. What might actually happen instead is Harry would become even more protective towards Lorena knowing that she has the likes of Draco Malfoy for housemates.

Then, Ron bashing. The way Ron is written is nothing short of a toned-down version of Ron the Death Eater trope. Sure, he’s made some mistakes because of his insecurities, but he’s a pretty ordinary boy with a decent character and good morals and also an extremely loyal and brave friend. The last thing Ron would do to the sister of his best friend was demonising her solely because of her house! The “Ron Weasley” in this story is barely recognisable to say the least. Don’t forget the fact that Ron’s grandmother was a Slytherin herself! Molly and Arthur would never let Ron live it down if Ron treated Harry’s sister like that because of her house when Arthur's mother was a Slytherin herself! The Weasleys who might actually do this sort of thing, ironically, are the twins. They booed at Slytherin first years at the Sorting Ceremony, remember? Fred in particular has a cruel streak that often results in him being an insensitive jerk and horrible bully! If any of the Weasley would hate on Lorena for being a Slytherin, it’s Fred (and George)!

Thirdly, the Mary Sue-ism. Top of her year, potion prodigy, Animagus, Occlumency genius, mediwitch, legal expert, a debater who can beat Dumbledore in a debate, an amazing duelist and knows how to battle with Umbridge using school politics and half a dozen of other things, etc. That’s just way too much and way too overpowered. And why must she always steal the Golden trio's spotlight in order to show that she is better than them? Why must Harry and Ron be portrayed as completely useless dunderheads when in canon they are a natural duelist/fighter and a smart strategist who can think outside the box respectively? What I mean to say is that Lorena should have had her own niche and moments to shine instead of stealing the other characters' accomplishments and lines. Hermione became an utterly unlikeable Mary Sue in the movies precisely because of stealing Ron's best moments and lines!

Fourth, some of the plots just make no sense and are there just for the sake of sticking to canon. To start with, why would you skip the 2nd and 3rd years? Things would have been changed so, so much if there was a Slytherin parselmouth and if someone as cunning and familiar with the legal system as Lorena existed. People would have been targeting Lorena instead of Harry in CoS while Peter Pettigrew might not have escaped at all and Sirius could have been freed. That’s a lot of major changes. Next, why would Harry ask her to stand guard and keep singing after the trio have gone into the trapdoor? They needed as much manpower as possible to stop Voldemort from getting the stone and there’s just a flute lying next to them. This is just dumb.

After that, why would Lorena kill Dumbledore? Why would she even help Draco smuggle the Death Eaters including a werewolf inside? Is she not aware of the consequences, and no, I am not talking about Azkaban or legal punishment; I am talking about the war in general. Is Lorena so dim-witted that she doesn’t even realise without Dumbledore’s presence, the Ministry is bound to fall? Or the purpose of making Snape be the one to kill Dumbledore in the first place? Or her boyfriend’s stress to complete his mission to assassinate Dumbledore and the danger he is in?

If it wasn’t for Malfoy and Snape’s promise to Narcissa, Dumbledore might have a few more months to live and the Ministry falling a few more months later could have saved thousands of lives. Without Voldemort taking over the Ministry, the trio and Dumbledore could have safely retrieved the Locket from Umbridge and destroyed it. At some point, one of them (likely Lorena) would suspect that it wouldn’t make sense if Bellatrix wasn’t entrusted with a Horcrux when Lucius Malfoy was. Without the Ministry falling to Voldemort, Gringotts would have still been under the goblins’ control. With Andromeda, Draco and Tonks’ presence, they might not even have needed to break into Bellatrix’ vault illegally. If Harry wasn’t on the run but instead still at Hogwarts, one of the Ravenclaws like Luna would have been bound to tell them at some point about the Diadem and the Grey Lady. Then Harry would have found the Diadem without the Battle of Hogwarts. As for the snake and Harry’s bit of soul, I’m not very sure, but one thing I AM certain is that you could have come up with a much better plot.

Furthermore, the Gryffindor vs Slytherin thing. Let me start by saying that I love, love the portrayal of the good Slytherins in the story, but I remain not overly fond of how you felt the need to bash the Gryffindors in order to show the Slytherins in a good light. Daphne Greengrass used the word Mudblood (it should be noted that she actually was never portrayed as a pureblood supremacist in canon), which is essentially the equivalent of the N-word in real life. They are racist towards the Muggle-borns and no one should be surprised that all the other good people in other houses despise them for this. If they don’t like the way the Slytherins are stereotyped, then they should have shown that they do not agree when their members display racist attitudes towards the Muggle-borns and blood traitors instead of joining in.

Finally, this is only an occupational hazard of mine because I am in training to become a criminal barrister at a legal chamber, but in the chapter: trials and tribulations, the way Lorena defends the Death Eaters make absolutely no sense at all. That is not how a court argument is made nor is that how a court is run. Her arguments run on emotion and not reason, and mostly they are groundless. The way the two trials go just makes me want to bang my head on a wall. Lorena would have been kicked out of court in real life for disrespect of the court, and she would have been a witness testifying and pleading for the defendant instead of filling the role of the lawyer (without any proper training, mind you) in a real court. Jesus, her arguments are not even supported with any other witness or evidence. What I mean to say is do some research beforehand next time you write something you are not very familiar with. I recommend the television show “Silk” by the way. It’s one of the legal dramas with the most realism.

On a final note, I would still wish to applaud you for the 160 chapters. It’s really hard to find a story featuring a Slytherin OC on Harry’s side with Draco as the main pairing that is decently written, so I love you for sharing this story with us all. I thank you, from the bottom of my heart, and I sincerely hope that you will never stop writing and improving, because you are legit one of the best HP fanfic writers out there.
A fan of Rena's chapter 148 . 8/10
The story starts out with a pretty well-rounded and decent protagonist and I especially love the part about her first year. I love the creativity you showed with Lorena’s potion inventions, the flashbacks to Voldemort’s childhood to flesh him out and the portrayal of good background Slytherins overlooked in canon. These are things that I have always wanted to see in HP fanfic but rarely ever done so well. You even inspired me to write my own story. However, the flaws of the story have become more and more glaring to the point that I have to drop it. That’s not to say I do not love your story. Let’s just say I expected more from an author of your calibre.

Then, Ron bashing. The way Ron is written is nothing short of a toned-down version of Ron the Death Eater trope. Sure, he’s made some mistakes because of his insecurities, but he’s a pretty ordinary boy with a decent character and good morals and also an extremely loyal and brave friend. The last thing Ron would do to the sister of his best friend was demonising her solely because of her house! The “Ron Weasley” in this story is barely recognisable, to say the least. Don’t forget the fact that Ron’s grandmother was a Slytherin herself! Molly and Arthur would never let Ron live it down if Ron treated Harry’s sister like that because of being a Slytherin when Arthur's mother was one. The Weasleys who might actually do this sort of thing, ironically, are the twins. They booed at Slytherin first years at the Sorting Ceremony, remember? Fred particularly has a cruel streak that often results in him being an insensitive jerk and horrible bully! If any of the Weasley would hate on Lorena for being a Slytherin, it’s Fred (and George)!

Thirdly, the Mary Sue-ism. Top of her year, potion prodigy, Animagus, Occlumency genius, mediwitch, legal expert, beating Dumbledore in a debate, an amazing duelist and knows how to battle with Umbridge using school politics and half a dozen of other things, etc. That’s just way too much and way too overpowered. And why must she always steal the canon trio's spotlight? What I mean to say is that Lorena should have found her own niche instead of stealing Harry, Hermione and Ron's accomplishments and lines. Ironically, Hermione stole a lot of Ron's lines in the movies and became an utterly unlikeable Mary Sue because of that.

Fourth, some of the plots just make no sense and are there just for the sake of sticking to canon. To start with, why would you skip the 2nd and 3rd years? Things would have changed so, so much if there was a Slytherin parselmouth and someone as cunning and familiar with the legal system as Lorena, everything could have changed. People would be targeting Lorena instead of Harry in CoS while Peter Pettigrew might not have escaped at all and Sirius could have been freed. That’s a lot of major changes. Next, why would Harry ask her to stand guard and keep singing after the trio have gone into the trapdoor? They needed as much manpower as possible to stop Voldemort from getting the stone and there’s just a flute lying next to them. This is just dumb.

If it wasn’t for Malfoy and Snape’s promise to Narcissa, Dumbledore might have had a few more months to live and the Ministry falling a few more months later could have saved thousands of lives. Without Voldemort taking over the Ministry, the trio and Dumbledore could have safely retrieved the Locket from Umbridge and destroyed it. At some point, one of them (likely Lorena) would suspect that it wouldn’t make sense if Bellatrix wasn’t entrusted with a Horcrux when Lucius Malfoy was. Without the Ministry falling to Voldemort, Gringotts would have still been under the goblins’ control. With Andromeda, Draco and Tonks’ presence, they might not even have needed to break into Bellatrix’ vault on the risk of being burned to a crisp by the dragon. If Harry wasn’t on the run but instead still at Hogwarts, one of the Ravenclaws like Luna would have been bound to tell them at some point about the Diadem and the Grey Lady. Then Harry would have found the Diadem without the Battle of Hogwarts. As for the snake and Harry’s bit of soul, I’m not very sure of how it should go, but one thing I AM certain is that you could have come up with a much better plot than I.

Furthermore, the Gryffindor vs Slytherin thing. Let me start by saying that I love, love the portrayal of the good Slytherins in the story, but I am not overly fond of how you felt the need to bash the Gryffindors in order to show the Slytherins in a good light. Daphne Greengrass used the word Mudblood (it should be noted that Daphne actually was never portrayed as a pureblood supremacist in canon), which is essentially the equivalent of the N-word in real life. They are racist towards the Muggle-borns and no one should be surprised that all the other good people in other houses despise them for this. If they don’t like the way the Slytherins are stereotyped, then they should have shown that they do not agree with their members when those said members display racist attitudes towards the Muggle-borns and blood traitors instead of joining in.

Finally, this is only an occupational hazard of mine because I am an intern at a legal chamber working to become a criminal barrister, but in the chapter: trials and tribulations, the way Lorena defends the Death Eaters make absolutely no sense at all. That is not how a court argument is made nor is that how a court is run. Her arguments run on emotion and not reason, and mostly they are groundless. The way the two trials went just makes me want to bang my head on a wall. What I mean to say is do some research beforehand next time you write something you are not very familiar with. I recommend the television show “Silk” by the way. It’s one of the legal dramas closest to the real-life court I have ever watched.

On a final note, I would still wish to applaud you for the 160 chapters. It’s really hard to find a story featuring a Slytherin OC on Harry’s side with Draco as the main pairing that is decently written, so I love you for sharing this story with us all. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
Matka Omen chapter 1 . 8/8
This story is one of my top favourites on the website, I absolutely adore it and I want to thank you for your mastery. It's everything I am looking for in a fanfiction, especially about Slytherins : nuance, a good intrigue, a solid footing in the cannon, ruse and talent ! Thank you !
Solace Stuart chapter 159 . 8/4
Wow. I am utterly speechless with your amazing turn of Harry Potter. Like, I feel ashamed calling your work amazing because it's so incredible that I can't put it into words. Thank you for blessing my life with this fanfic. I've read the Harry Potter series multiple times and I've been a huuuuge book nerd my whole life but To be a Slytherin is probably one of the best stories I've ever come across. I know most of it is it's JK's ideas and original plot but this is the BEST fanfic I've read. You should really consider becoming an author because damn you're so good at creating a page-turner. I've been gorging myself on this story for the past week and my heart's been leaping out of my chest because the Rena/Draco slow burn/enemies to lovers was that good. I wish I could express how I feel about this fanfic more but ahhh I'm literally still trying to digest how phenomenal it is. Besides A Throne of Glass, and probably some of the other popular fantasy books that are on my favourites list, this one now has a top three spot. Your attention to detail was so spot on and creative, from Lorena's back story to her many successes like her brewing career, her relationship with Snape, her Hogwarts house equality movement, the creation of the Basilisk's, her time at Malfoy Manor and of course my favourite, her relationship with Draco;) Anyway, long review which was definitely overdue because I was too obsessed with the story to stop and review more along the way, keep up with writing and you'll definitely become famous lol.

Thanks again!

P.S Off to re-read it again.
hermionemalfoy.Valdez chapter 14 . 7/19
lorena was so relatable in this one, especially with the mirror of erised.. love it!
So… Fred and Hermione, for some reason? Let me get this clear, you think a Hermione who would break up with Ron, would go for Fred instead, who only got 3 OWLs, takes things even less serious than Ron, does not care about the rights of the house-elves or any magical creature for that matter and is much crueler and a lot more shallow, vicious and mean than Ron? While Fred, the rebellious and superficial Fred who hooked up with Fleur’s cousins at his brother’s wedding, bought expensive dragon leather suits the moment the first cash flowed in and dated Angelina Johnson would be interested in Hermione, someone who has zero sense of humour and no interest in Quidditch, acts like his own damn mother to him and has domestic abuse tendencies? Because to you, apparently, Ron, the only person out of the entire HP universe who is patient and quick-witted enough to keep up with Hermione’s arguments to constantly debate something and the only person who manages to beat Hermione intellectually at something, is less compatible with Hermione than freaking Fred? Hermione doesn’t look like Emma Watson and she is not the perfect goddess mary sue character the movies made her out to be, you know?
Loitoburrito chapter 132 . 7/10
OMG I would absolutely read a time travel fic with Lorena being in Voldemort’s time. If you’re still up for it, that would be amazing!
Loitoburrito chapter 131 . 7/10
I have re-read this fanfic so many times, it’s one of my favorites. I think this is my 4th or 5th time re-reading it. Is it bad that I want to see an alternate ending where Lorena does go dark? Like completely does not give a crap about Harry or the good side anymore? I would imagine it happens because something happens to Draco or Snape. Or Voldemort does get into her head and entices her towards the dark side. It would’ve been interesting to see how Harry would interact with his sister if he had to fight her.
This is quite an amazing story. I love how you have completely shown off what Slytherin could be, and is at its core values. Your writing skills are incredible, those of a true author.
-ABlueEyedWriter