Reviews for Shifting Horizons
What started as a rather interesting multilayered adventure is rapidly turning into a C-movie melodrama. How many times do you need to pound your point with a sledge hammer? You have set thing so that Harry either gets over his mistrust of Snape (in cannon it's completely reasonable to mistrust and hate the "bat" even after Nagini's attack.) or the hole plot goes into the toilet. You've not covered any new ground since the ritual's conclusion. JKR's solution was brilliant. You can logically argue either side of the Snape issue and the plot goes on full speed ahead. I call it the 'Far East Mindset" problem. All key characters associated with Harry have to be jammed into a predestined script? Agree or be crushed? Not very realistic or captivating.
KnowInsight chapter 18 . 12/12
i can't wait for Severus to learn Harry was almost sorted into his house. (evilish grin)
geekymom chapter 18 . 12/12
This is a fantastic story. Thank you for sharing!
AimeretVivre chapter 18 . 12/11
Congratulations on starting your first story - as a fellow writer, I understand what a huge and exciting adventure this is. I have had the chance to read it through (including this new chapter), and wanted to leave my thoughts. First of all, I heartily congratulate you on your hard work! It is not easy to craft this sort of imaginative story, and I give you a lot of credit for your work thus far.

I think you have presented an interesting concept and that the creative elements show a lot of promise. However, I do think you really need a Beta. There are a lot of grammatical, spelling, word choice and continuity mistakes throughout the story that are somewhat distracting. In this chapter in particular, they often took away from otherwise interesting characterisations and plot points, and left me quite confused at a few different places. I really think that if you can find a good Beta, it will immeasurably improve your writing and your story as a whole.

Best of luck with the continuation, and I will keep reading!
An interesting chapter - well done! I think this story shows a lot of promise.

You really do need a Beta though, preferably a British one. There are a fair number of grammatical mistakes, and you use some British spellings but then a number of American ones (e.g. You say 'practising', which is the British spelling, and in this same chapter you say 'realized' with the American spelling- realised would be ours). It gets distracting.

You also use Americanisms and then some more British phrases, but the British ones are not often used correctly. I'm guessing you are American. E.g. from this chapter, 'reckon' is spelled thus, not as 'recon'. And while it is a commonly used term rather than 'think', it's definitely not one Snape would use- far too informal. It is also not common to hear or read 'umm' in British English. 'Er' is usually used. We have 'sitting rooms' or lounges (like Americans use the term 'den' sometimes for a more casual room where the telly might be), but we don't have living rooms.
KnowInsight chapter 17 . 5/30
Fasinating story which I'm throughly enjoying. I look forward to more. :D
Calmzone1 chapter 17 . 5/30
Very interesting story. Can't wait to read more. Thanks for sharing.
Calmzone1 chapter 6 . 5/29
Kind of makes you wonder if they all could have been friends instead with Lily being with James while Sev was with Megan, and if Sev would have then been in Ravenclaw or still Slytherin but a part of the Marauders. What changes might have occurred if Megan had returned to England earlier, before school started. Can you imagine if they had met on the train? Hmm. Possibilities.
TLD110166 chapter 1 . 5/21
A few errors I spotted. Private Drive should be Privet Drive. Invisibility clock should be invisibility cloak. Word missing and capitalization error. "So where do you and your parents live then, Harry?"
Who Are You What Do You Want chapter 16 . 4/24
Nice.
sevsnape chapter 16 . 4/18
Damn wonderful chapter. I hope you'll update the next part soon.
Lover of Emotions chapter 15 . 4/4
that is good. update soon please.
Ginnyfan chapter 15 . 1/30
I like Ginny in this chapter. She really is suitable for Harry. Thanks for Update.
cara chapter 15 . 1/30
keep updating.
Good chapter.
Liliumrosaline chapter 15 . 1/30
Wonderful chapter.. !
You made the waiting worth. The chapter is huge and written very claverly.
And whosh I thought for a moment you are going to bring the deathly hallows in it, but you didn't. I really wana see what you do with them.
So overall kick ass chapter.
Eager for your next chapter.
Thanks.