Reviews for Hells of Iron
broken ingot chapter 5 . 8/29
"...the passion of your heart is only as great as the fruit it yields..."
Your writing is poetry in narrative form, and I really like your story and characterisations!
thrndlwood chapter 2 . 6/4
Great chapter! Thank you so much for writing and sharing
Purplehood chapter 24 . 5/4
The amount of characterization and beauty in this story is truly stunning! Please continue!
thrndlwood chapter 1 . 4/5
I started to read this story and really love it. The feelings and atmosphere are described so well.
Lia Whyteleafe chapter 24 . 2/12
Hi! Sorry it's taken me so long to review.

Oh, Makalaure. Poor, poor Makalaure.

He hates being called 'Highness', doesn't he? I don't blame him in the slightest. His refusal to take care of himself is heartbreaking and horribly realistic.

It's interesting seeing him so harsh, and so irritated with the singing. Singing's a key part of his personality - then again, he had to take after Feanor in some way, didn't he?
wolfawaken chapter 24 . 2/11
Wonderful story and great telling of it! Looking forward to reading more.
chisscientist chapter 24 . 2/9
In which Maglor has yet another bad day that just won't end.
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 24 . 1/26
Makalaure is so perfect here: solitary, stressed, exhausted, working himself to the bone, with no one with the real authority to stop him or obligate him to take care of himself. I really love the way he uses the unreliable timekeeping mechanisms as an excuse not to rest - he's looking for any reason he can to just keep going, to not think or especially work through the feud with his brothers.

The parallel he draws between the awful precedent for brotherly relationships in the family stuck out to me rather chillingly. The way he's come to accept the rift between them so easily is heart-breaking, yet it shows so much about his character (and his view of his new role) that he won't yield, not even with those relationships at risk. It was fascinating, though, to see how his reaction changed upon hearing his unpopularity may extend beyond his brothers. He's got enough political savvy to see that's Bad News.

Oh! And one last thing I loved was the motif of the constant lament, the strain of music that filled the silences in the dialogue. If Makalaure weren't burdened with these political responsibilities, he might be out there singing with them, or at least getting some kind of catharsis for his grief by listening. No wonder he's irritated by the sound of it - there must be some part of him wishing he could partake.

Such great characterization, as always! I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
-Crackers
LadyPorpoise chapter 24 . 1/26
Oh man, I think I sense a civil civil war (if that's a thing :p) on the horizon. I'm glad that you have updated this, and it's nice seeing Maglor again. The poor elf is overwhelmed with so much going on. :(

Is it wrong that I want to see Maedhros again soon? What's happening down in danger town? It'll be interesting to see when you get to the point where you combine "Weep and be Burned" into this, if you plan on doing that, when Maedhros gets taken to the vault or when he is hanging on the cliff?

Keep on writing. :)
Elenluin chapter 24 . 1/26
happy to see this one continued! absolutely love the way you picture makalaure, there's no question here that he is his father's son too!
Laerthel chapter 23 . 1/26
It's been such a long-long-(awfully)-long time since I've read this story; I need to catch up on a few things. But I can't hold my tongue, I must express how happy I am that it resumes!:) Keep going!
chisscientist chapter 23 . 1/20
Ai, explaining to Celebrimbor would not be fun.

Glad to see you writing this again. I had feared this story had died. Glad to see I was wrong.
Elwaith chapter 23 . 1/18
Wow! You cannot imagine how happy I was to see this chapter! A good "filling in the gaps" of events the Silmarillion covered in broad strokes. I never thought of what Celebrimbor might have felt during this time. Surely he will figure out the full truth soon.
Certh chapter 23 . 1/5
I'm glad to see you're back, Gwed! I hope the new year has been good to you and all is well.
A very emotionally charged chapter, this one. I do like how every emotion of Curufinwe's is displayed so openly - the worry for his brothers, the almost-despair at having to start from scratch, at the difficulties his people face, the sadness and fear evoked by his son's questions and keenness of mind.

The only minor quibble I have concerns the use of the pronoun 'he': at times it feels as though it's used in excessive, where 'Curufinwe' and 'Canyadil' should be used instead in order to make it easier for the reader to quickly identify which 'he' is the subject of the sentence.
Lia Whyteleafe chapter 23 . 1/5
Poor little thing...How do you explain that to an elfling?

Curufinwe was the son Feanor thought was most like him. Whether or not he actually *was* is a different matter. If anyone truly took after Feanor, it was probably his grandson. Or Maitimo. That fire, that will to survive had to come from somewhere.

Curufinwe never expected he'd have to face this. He's right - adjusting and surviving is not going to be easy. But they will do it.