Reviews for 02-Hans the Heroic
Ichihimeisthebest chapter 1 . 5/23/2016
I really love the takes of Hans heroic nature, even if he himself has doubts about his person.

The part about the kiss, it was sad. He isn't even able to gamble in his fondness for the princess. For me it looks as he didn't want to confirm his own suspicious of being incapable of love or being loved.

And there was a lot of realism on the fic. It was great
SoSaysL chapter 1 . 8/12/2015
I've been meaning to review this for a while, simply because I love it so much. I'd always seen Hans as a clever, charming manipulator - but I adore this take on his character. It actually changes the meaning of canon, now that I think about it. He's written in shades of grey, not a one-dimensional villain. His childhood has taught him how to rise through the networks of power, but he is still human; he makes difficult decisions and is left at odds with himself.

Wow. Saying that sentence more to himself than her... great line there. You touch on the fact that two princesses locking themselves away can't hardly be good for the nation (honestly I was wondering why they hadn't been invaded already) and that Hans had been sent as part of a broader scheme to take over and colonize - made it a bit more realistic in my opinion.

And you actually managed to humanize Hans and rationalize out all his actions, even when he was meant to be a lying snake in-movie. Props to you, we need more of this kind of storytelling (and also more morally grey characters instead of only black-and-white)

One more thing - I really like the choice you made to not use names (i.e. refer to Anna and Elsa as Princess and Queen). I'd say it lends almost a fairy-tale esque sense to the story.

Amazing work here! Really enjoyed it.
Amulet Misty chapter 1 . 6/21/2015
Admittedly I haven't watched Frozen but I do know what happens, so I think I was able to get what this was all about. Being the youngest of 13 brothers and being bullied would definitely cause someone to have troubles with his personality. It's just really sad of someone to think of themselves as unneeded. Becoming a saviour would have gotten him acknowledged and instead he is off to his execution. His thoughts in the process was really great to read - it just gives you a 'what if' dimension to the series. If I ever do end up watching this movie I'll probably have this in my mind too...

The perfect example for the mask prompt right here ;-;
Godfearinghippie chapter 1 . 6/17/2015
Good psychological analysis of Hans' backstory.
Aviantei chapter 1 . 6/15/2015
Ah I love what you did with this. This is the sort of thing I probably would have written if I wasn't challenging myself fandom-wise. You just tap into that sociopathic aspect and find the reasons for that and let it guide his actions throughout. Wonderfully done.

I have to give a lot of props to the scene where he first meets Anna. I can't really describe it, but I love all the little parts and thoughts you put into it. Really, I love it.

The moment where his conscience shows up as Anna and Elsa fight is just wonderful, too. I could really just see this ghost-like thing cra3wling out of nowhere and whispering next to his ear before slipping back away. Definitely a shining moment.

Also, all the planning segments are nice. You get to see how all the bits start to click into place and all thhe factors that go into them. It's a great approach to the canon.

"That he was saying to himself more than her." Are you trying to break my heart?! (I assume the answer to that is yes)

The conclusion let's us see a bit past the end of the movie, which we definitely need for this perspective. There are things we just can't see in film when Anna and Elsa are the focus. So the shift is a good one, adds a redeemable factor, and brings out the whole "finding self" theme you were going for. Great job!

So I'm not sure what else to say other than keep up the good work! See you in the next Sauce!
-Aviantei
ElementLegend chapter 1 . 6/15/2015
I actually really enjoyed how you made Hans's character come to life here! We get to see a side of him that was barely mentioned in the movie, and you actually feel sympathy for the guy. And maybe he isn't that bad. Then again, if everyone has the potential to be good, who is truly evil?

Keep going! Your fanfic is as lovely as ever, even if it's a tad late.

Element
Chronic Guardian chapter 1 . 6/14/2015
That's... harsh. Realistic, yes, but very harsh. Sort of like that moment when playing Pheonix Wright and you realize that winning a trial doesn't mean nobody dies, it just means your client walks away free. Somebody still has to pay the price. Realizing that this is probably Hans' fate after the movie is kind of sobering.

Of course, it's also sobering to realize that neither Elsa nor Anna are really fit to rule a kingdom. Out of those eighteen or so odd years, how much time have either of them devoted to learning what their country actually does? Heck, I'd be surprised if either of them even knew what the Duke of Weselton even wanted to trade with them for.

At any rate, I really like the spin you take on this, even if it feels like a gut punch followed by more gut punches. If Hans was trying to be a villain in the second act, he was really doing a second rate job of it compared to his careful construction up to that point. Having the thought be that Hans is struggling with his identity really fits better than whatever the original intent was and sets him up for the bittersweet triumph of being the key to unlocking the kingdom.

...Now write the second part where the Dread Pirate Roberts intercepts the ship and takes Hans as his cabin boy.

-CG