Reviews for Musings by Torchlight
Pammy chapter 1 . 10/10/2003
Wow, I'm glad you decided to make a story from Legolas' point of view. That was really good, and I'm proud to say, that I did not cry this time so HA! lol. Anyway great story and thanks for the references.

Pammy
girturtle chapter 1 . 8/3/2003
again a great story! I LOVE ALL of ur stories!

-Leena-
Firnsarnien chapter 1 . 7/21/2003
Again, wow! I am utterly amazed at the depth of feeling you have given these characters! Simply amazing! *shakes head in wonder* And the Leggy angst, *sigh* I love it! :)
Fae2 chapter 1 . 6/26/2003
wow.

i first read reflections in the dark off of key's computer. and now i have finally been able to read the sequel.

wow. you did a great job describing the elf's fears and thoughts as he searched for gimli. and you did an awesome job picturing their unusual friendship. makes me jealous that they have a friendship as deep and understanding as that.

may your muse be blessed for giving you such great ideas.

fae
nessie6 chapter 1 . 3/20/2003
aww i love legolas! the friendships in lotr (and harry potter specifically the friendship between harry's dad and his friends) are great ane just make me want 2 cry...but i dont. :D great story!

nessie
ola chapter 1 . 2/11/2003
wonderful story! simply...wonderful. ) love the grief and the humor.
Kurremkarmerruk chapter 1 . 1/19/2003
I liked Gimli's POV beter.
Nebride chapter 1 . 1/9/2003
Exquisite. I can’t really think of anything else to say about this and its companion piece. Every word was perfect, every sentence brilliant, every thought spot on for character. It is intensely real and leaves the reader bathed in the world of Middle Earth and a in a friendship that legendary in its beauty. These little moments that you share with us add up to a greater whole, giving us wonderful peeks into their long lives in Middle Earth. Thank you.
Ainaechoiriel chapter 1 . 1/6/2003
This was so good, I think I'll go read the other one. I read this one because I like Legolas, of course, more than I like Gimli, but it will be really neat to see the other side of this. I don't even remember seeing any typos in this story. You did a very good job. Oh, one of my favorite bits: ...Legolas turned toward Bergil with the intention of giving him the full consequences of an elven glare. It did not matter that Bergil would be unable to see it, for Gimli had once informed Legolas that a person could sense an elven glare even in the dead of night.
bryn bnw chapter 1 . 12/31/2002
Despite the severity of the situation, you've managed to make a near-hysterical Legolas downright amusing. *lol* Poor guy! And the only way he knows how to cope with it is to become irrationally angry with anything and everything.

"He studiously ignored the fact that elves also periodically burrowed into the earth to carve out vast mansions—such as the halls of his own father which were mirrored after Thingol’s ancient stronghold of Menegroth—for these things were completely beside the point." *rotfl* Oi, he is his father's son...

Hooray for Bergil! It's nice to see him get a part. Oddly enough, he seems to possess much of the carefree attitude Legolas has, minus the temper.

I cannot help but wonder how many dislocated shoulders Gimli has suffered in his lifetime. He's up for a nasty dose of arthritis in later years.

When the anger and desperation finally run their course, you leave us with a beautifully crafted ending. I've yet to come across a writer who so conveys the heart and soul of Gimli and Legolas' friendship as you do. Simply breathtaking.

*turns several shades of embarrassed* Oh my gosh, thank you for recommending my work! :)
Littlefish chapter 1 . 12/30/2002
Yippee! Congratulations on writing yet another wonderful story. You truly amaze and delight me you know! Thank you so much for providing me with yet another story that I can say I LOVE! And lots of Legolas, too! Yes!

When reading the cave-in from Gimli’s point of view, I kept wondering ‘what is Legolas doing right now? How is he feeling about all this?’ I am so glad you decided to write a fic to answer all my questions! You are just too nice to me! :)

Legolas’ thoughts throughout this fic were just perfect! First confused and dazed, then worried, then afraid, then horrified, then terrified. It is a never ending cycle throughout his search for Gimli, and it provided a very nice read. By the time he finally found Gimli, he had worked himself up enough that he was ready to kill the dwarf himself! How DARE Gimli make him worry! Hehee. Beautiful, just beautiful!

And once they get Gimli out of the cave, you provide us with another wonderful and unique scene: an elf torn between worry and anger. I really liked going through the conversation a second time, this time from Legolas’ point of view. It explains why he spoke so sharply to Gimli! I really enjoyed reading it. And ending the story with the song was just perfect. I probably said this before, but oh well. You manage to pull it off without it becoming sappy or unrealistic. No one on has the skill at portraying Legolas and Gimli’s friendship quite in the way that you do. I love it every time!

Wonderful, wonderful job! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!
Fey Halfkin chapter 1 . 12/29/2002
I think Jocelyn pretty much covered, well, everything, but I had to add my thanks for this half of the story too!

There's a clear difference in how Gimli thought in 'REFLECTION IN THE DARK' and Legolas in 'MUSINGS BY TOURCHLIGHT'. So I -did- find something to add...how about that.
Jocelyn chapter 1 . 12/28/2002
FINALLY, I've made it! I knew this story deserved a small thesis-length review, so I've been waiting until I had enough time. It's so hard to spend hours reading and reviewing fics at home when there are parents and siblings clamoring for both web time and my time.

That said, here we go:

Ai, poor Legolas. I can imagine "blind panic and hysterics" indeed at getting caught in a cave-in underground. His fears of being lost in a cave are so perfectly elvish, and I love how Gimli compensates for them. Nice to know the dwarf doesn't *always* make fun of his friend's fears. We don't often see Legolas really lose his nerve-unless of course, there are Balrogs around-but he seems on the verge of a full-blown panic attack when he realizes he's lost and possibly trapped. Surpassed only by his panic when he starts to wonder about Gimli.

So Legolas lets Gimli take care of things in caves? Now that's amusing! But it's not out-of-character either. I can imagine that in a cave, an elf wouldn't know what the heck to do with himself (although how deep do the elven king's halls go?)

Ai, just imagining him groping around in the pitch black with his eyes closed gives ME the heebie-jeebies, being a bit of a claustro AND afraid of the dark myself! Poor elf! Not his element AT ALL!

Your way of writing Bergil cracks me up. He's so collected and matter-of-fact about the whole darn thing. "Unable to respond due to unconsciousness" he says, while the elf's busy panicking. Legolas is right; no one should be that confident about anything.

And now Legolas takes a moment to note some of the dwarf's effect on him, as Gimli did in "Reflections." More irrational, he says. Yeah, elf, ya think? Man, I love the way you write him. And he's acquiring some "dwarven" impatience too. Awwww, isn't that cute! Not quite the wise, unflappable, stereotypical elf anymore, is he?

Poor Legolas (I think I said that a lot while reading this fic) he's just always teetering on the edge of panic.

One of the most interesting things in this fic is what you've written about how dwarves communicate with the rock in the same way that elves communicate with trees, or perhaps commune would be a better word. Fascinating. Did you get that from Tolkien specifically, or is that another of your amazing little fits of imagination? Either way, it sure came in handy for Legolas. Good to hear they've both learned a few things from the other.

And the crown of all: Legolas wanders a cave on his own in search of Gimli. If that doesn't speak volumes about the power of their friendship! Marvelous! Although the way you've written it (and the way I imagine it) that's got to be just so darn scary! I can well imagine losing one's sanity in a dark maze like that, especially looking for a missing friend as dear as Gimli is to Legolas!

So they constructed Doro Lanthirion on the ground, did they? Haha! I had never pictured that, but judging by what you've written, it makes sense, given Legolas's relations with both dwarves and men. What an interesting idea!

I love how Legolas gets progressively angrier as he searches. Fear does that to brave people, and Legolas is definitely scared out of his elven wits at the moment. The threats are as funny as they were in "Reflections."

Aiii, don't scream underground, you stupid elf! I mean, this time it proved advantageous in helping to find Gimli, but he also might've brought the ceiling down on himself-again.

It must have taken so much willpower for Legolas to leave Gimli to get help, but when all's said and done, he still has his sense. I also like that he doesn't have a very good sense of direction underground. It fits.

Poor Legolas; I know just how he feels, getting incredibly angry over being frightened that way. It's a natural reaction.

And now we're back to where we left off in "Reflections," or at least where Legolas picked up the tale. I love how paranoid Legolas tends to get. Then again, he has had quite a scare.

Finally comes that request for a song. Ah, Legolas, does he really think that Gimli only did that for his amusement? I wonder if that elf will ever realize that his love for the dwarf is completely mutual? Or how much Gimli loves to hear him sing? I like the story of the two warriors. How fitting.

Siiiighhh, thank you SO much for that heartwarming little second half of a good tale! I'm so thrilled you took me up on that request. (And BTW, you wanted me to let you know, so here it is: Elven Song is updated. Twice. Merry Christmas!)

Anyway, absolutely brilliant fic, once again, in keeping with your usual work...now all you've got to do is UPDATE LAND OF LIGHT AND SHADOWS AND FEAR NO DARKNESS BEFORE I GO STARK RAVING MAD! (Begins beating head against wall) Happy New Year.
annakas chapter 1 . 12/27/2002
WooHooo I loved it. You write so well that I am waiting for more every single day. Love your works.
alliwantisanelfforchristmas chapter 1 . 12/25/2002
It is unusual to read about the panic of an elf, though they must at some time experience this emotion. Don't know which is worse, the fear of being trapped and lost in a dark place underneath the ground, or the fear of being without the other half of your soul for the rest of your immortal life.

Loss of control is also an elf issue that comes to mind here. Especially loss of control where others might see it. Any elder or leader would fear that to be seen by subordinates.

I love the choice of song here. So many things unspoken, but still said.

Thank you for another wonderful look into the friendship of elf and dwarf.
43 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »