Reviews for Musings by Torchlight
Ithilien chapter 1 . 12/23/2002
Oh, I love this! Even more than Reflections in the Dark. And don't look now but you've written a lengthy vignette from a single perspective.

Here's what blows me away on this: the emotions are so real. It is very easy to write about one being afraid, or one being angry, but to convey the confusion of multiple emotions simultaneously is a very difficult thing to do. My hat is off to you, because you have done it masterfully. You have written a scenario that is utterly convincing to me. I love it! Legolas is completely believable in this. He feels panic, fear, love, anger, guilt and regret in a whirl of small doses, many overlapping, and I found it intriguing. Most fascinating was seeing the same scene viewed earlier from Gimli's perspective and seen now from Legolas'. What a wonder it is to realize how different their takes are on the same thing. Very creative imaginings on your part and something I'm not sure I could have pulled off. Chalk this one up as a lovely ficlet, Thundera. A nice addition to your compilations. Thanks for giving us this gift for the holidays!
skyjade chapter 1 . 12/23/2002
Brilliant! And I must say that after watching the Two Towers, the picture in my mind whenever it concerns Legolas and Gimli goes clearer each time I read you fics! I esp love the part where ' Legolas had to move fast enough so that he could outrun his phobias. ' That was great! brilliant! and how he blamed Gimli for everything!
Jevvica chapter 1 . 12/22/2002
*sigh* I'm so glad you decided to tell this story from Legolas' point of view, I am very pleased:)

Wonderfully done as always.

Now. About Light and Shadows...

tineryn chapter 1 . 12/21/2002
brilliant. i liked the emotional legolas aspect of this story very much. i love legolas torture sessions... *sigh* I am a sick individual...

gwyn
Bill-the-Pony chapter 1 . 12/21/2002
Sure is going on my Favorite Stories list along with all you other masterpieces. The friendship between Gimli and Legolas is for me a highlight in the history of Middle-earth. What a wonderful tale to learn from. This is just another telling I can add to my imagination as canon in the M-e world.

I especialy admired the way you described both Legolas's panic, fear and desprite worry and anger when he was searching for Gimli. What a horrible situation! So no that you've written this...where's the next part of Land of Light and Shadows? *hint*
Go Outside chapter 1 . 12/21/2002
Awesome! I was beginning to think I wouldn't find anything good to read tonight, what with all the 200 word movie-fics that are popping up, but you never let me down. Yet again, well done! This story is great and I hope there will be an update to the " Land of Light and Shadows" soon, not to rush your genius or anything, thanks again!
Nancing Elf chapter 1 . 12/21/2002
Brilliant! You wrote so realistically, of Legolas' panicked reactions in the cave. How completely unnerving that experience must have been, to which is added his fear that Gimli was killed.

Blaming the dwarf...don't we always blame the one we love when they've gone and hurt themselves?

I'm a great fan of Ithilien's and bryn's. I'll look up Scribe now!
Mari chapter 1 . 12/21/2002
Fantastic!

What a wonderful mirror-piece to "Reflections in the Dark"! I was hoping that you would continue or elaborate on that piece in one way or t'other, and this is (as always) a fantastically done work.

The parallels (which are probably more numerous than I am aware of) start right away with Legolas in the same position as Gimli-if not quite waking up, then calming down enough to notice that he's awake. You portray his phobia excellently-incoherent, panic-stricken, and at the same time attempting to grapple with coherent thought, as well as his intense annoyance at being frightened in the first place. Legolas subsequently having to deal with Bergil-who is a remarkably complete character in his limited role-is also wonderful; the impatience and frustration, as well as the sense of a very old being dealing with a group of children, is just the right note. Not to mention that on top of all this, Legolas is still scared out of his mind but gamely attempting to hide it-and probably, as far as Bergil and his men go, succeeding. Everyone splits up, and Legolas is left alone with his thoughts-while travelling through a cave system, alone, looking for his possibly-dead best friend. Being Legolas isn't a fun thing right now.

Legolas' rich and varied thoughts on the many ways to blame dwarves in general and Gimli in particular for his present situation are fantastic. His thoughts on time I especially loved-a bit of foreshadowing of future events, as well as a great method of emphasizing Legolas' altered mind-set as a result of Gimli. And here the parallels really start to pick up-how Gimli can get Legolas into caves, but Legolas can't get Gimli up a tree. The fact that Legolas altered his home in much the same way as Gimli had was a fantastic parallel-it impressed me as so exactly right that I'm going to have trouble remembering Tolkien himself didn't include it in the canon. The hinting at why Gimli can't be persuaded up trees-as a result of memories of Lothlorien and possibly Galadriel-was beautifully done.

Once Gimli is found and brought out into the sunlight, the two opposite viewpoints really gets fun. We've already seen Gimli's side of the conversation, and now we see Legolas'-and what is really great is how closely they guessed each other's actual emotions and thoughts. The small points about Legolas' dislike of setting bones and his suspicions of a conspiracy theory were, as always, brilliant. The fact that both of them were, at the same moment, thoroughly exasperated with Bergil was fantastic-and this line:

"Fortunate? Ai, Valar. I suppose he shall next say that this has all been a wondrous learning experience. "

Has become one of my top ten favorite lines ever. Hilarious! Legolas' musings on both of them feeling guilty because of a lack of anything better to do is also excellent-the amount of great small touches like that are too many to repeat in this review, but they were all wonderful. The final close, with Legolas singing, is as touching and beautifully done as it was in RitD, this time with the added dimension of knowing what it means to both of them.

I'm slightly short for time, and I'm afraid that this review was largely composed of gushing, but this is a beautiful story, that enhances and completes RitD-both of them work wonderfully on their own, but together they're astonishing. Fantastic work-please post more as soon as you can. Happy holidays!
Donna Marie Lewis chapter 1 . 12/21/2002
Brilliant, as always. I did see one typo, the Elven word for flet is "talan", not "talon", I think.
Jedi Honor Bound Ninja chapter 1 . 12/21/2002
Yay im so glad you did wrote a partner peice to that. Finally explains what happened to Legolas that whole time :)

"For every cave I enter, Gimli must climb a tree."

NOw theres something that would be amusing to see!

But again as with the other fic, in this part my favorite was Legolas singing to Gimli :)

-Insane Muse
JastaElf chapter 1 . 12/20/2002
TT, this is just delightful! I love seeing the other side of the coin. (grin) If Gimli and Legolas were sitting in front of me right now, I would say to them, based on this tale and its partner:

"So! Exactly HOW long have you two been married?"

Because that's how they act: like a delightfully bickery old married couple. (grin)

So many wonderful, touching moments... you do these characters SO well, and you write like a goddess. Thanks for sharing this vision!
Tobu Ishi chapter 1 . 12/20/2002
May I simply and humbly say, Master Storyteller, that this was the finest yarn I have read in many a winter's eve. I half expected the elf and the dwarf to leap forth from the screen, so honestly and truly were they portrayed. I sighed and 'giggled' in equal portions, and my deepest thanks go to you for such a marvelous experience. Tolkien himself could not fault this work.
PuterPatty chapter 1 . 12/20/2002
Wonderful. What an unexpected treat to see this episode from Legolas' perspective!

Intriguing that our favorite elf reacts to Gimli's endangerment of death with sheer anger at the dwarf himself. Quite the opposite of how Gimli reacted to his "oncoming" death if I remember correctly. I suppose that is an elf's, or at least this particular elf's defense mechanism. He and Gimli are so close that his fear of losing the dwarf frightens him terribly and so he uses his anger to push this fear away. Brilliant.

Also liked how Gimli inadvertantly influenced the layout of Doro Lanthiron. Legolas' friendship with mortals, especially Gimli, would definitely have an impact on how he would build his realm.

And the singing? Well, again interesting that Legolas first attributes Gimli's request as being one motivated by a desire to ease the elf's troubled mind, but then realizes that Gimli really does want to hear the song. Hmmm, interesting indeed if you go back and play part of this against Gimli's protectiveness of Legolas in the caves. I don't think I made any sense whatsoever there, sorry. It made sense in my mind, but my eyes are drooping shut and I can't connect my brain to my words. Oh well. Probably a sign to end this here and hit the sack.

Tremendous job once again!
43 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3