Reviews for The Promise
Cashlin Snow chapter 10 . 5/2
I also finished reading this story the other day. It was so hard to read, because you wrote it so well, and also because the ending was already known. I actually cried quite a bit at the end of the last chapter. It was a pleasure, this story; beautiful words crafted in enticing ways. You certainly write well!
DemiLizard chapter 10 . 4/25/2018
Really, I was expecting edge (because, I mean, it's Shadow, what more should I expect? XD) and lots of Shadow Maria friendship fluff. What I received was an absolutely heart-wrenching tale, from almost the very beginning to the end. I'm kind of glad I got really bored one day and decided to read this.

Almost immediately, the level of happiness just shoots downhill. I wanted a little more fluffy stuff, but, alas, you decided to rip my heart out and shoot it a few times. After about the third bad thing, I went through this story with a sense of dread about me, never expecting it to get any better. It didn't get much better.

This book was just kind of... agonising to read. I wanted it to get better, but I just knew it wouldn't. I wanted to see just a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel, but there is none. There isn't even any to be found AWAY from the ARK; Gerald, did you really have to go and set a timer for the end of the world? XD

Ack, people do bad things when they're granddaughter's dying. :P

Despite being set on a massive flying space ship ARK thing with scientists creating living super weapons, you did manage this feel real. This is such an emotive, fascinating read, and I really don't think you could've written it much better. I would've liked to see a little more fluffy stuff, but nope. In the end that probably would've made me feel even worse about the events that are occuring here. XD

It was sad. It was horrible. And now I hate all of G.U.N.. Good work, Toodles. Your writing is painful but always amazing to read.
MaryKate.sonamyfan chapter 10 . 1/13/2018
I have to say, considering this brought me to tears, you have a raw talent for righting tragedies. I don't know what carrier path you've chosen but you really should consider writing. I applaud and envy your talent and hope you do more with it that writing fan-fictions (not that I'm complaining about you writing fan-fictions because this was amazing)
Riverstyxx chapter 10 . 11/28/2017
I got bored. So I read your edgy Sonic fanfic because your edgy Spyro fanfic is too long and I'm lazy.

I have to say, I was not prepared for this story. xD I went in expecting kinda cute Maria/Shadow friendshipping stuff ending in tragedy, as with most fanfics that explore Shadow's ARK backstory. But no. You tried to be happy for, like, two chapters and then everything exploded and didn't stop exploding, to the point where I read the majority of this fic with a looming sense of dread and despair.

To me it felt like the main focus of this story was not the relationship between Maria and Shadow, but rather the horror and injustice of what occurred onboard the ARK when G.U.N. came to call. And to that end, it was done so effectively and vividly. You know how to make an audience feel emotions, I can tell you that much. xD At the end I was left feeling angry at how something so unjust could occur with relatively few repercussions for the one(s) responsible (fuck you, G.U.N. commander), especially considering that such things occur in real life, too. Not exactly a pleasant read, but certainly emotive and enthralling!

On the Shadow and Maria side of things, I liked the way you approached it and dealt with their relationship, but I would have liked to see more. Specifically, more of the happy days they had before everything went to hell. If I read correctly, there was about a year there where they were sneaking around to see each other and everyone was relatively happy (rapists not withstanding). It would have been nice to see more of that, even if ultimately it would have done nothing to further the plot. At least it would have given us more of the desired Shadow/Maria friendshipping.

Mind you, doing so might have made the following tragedies even more painful to read than they already are. xD

ANYWAY, while I can't say I clearly remember the contents of your old stories, I'm pretty sure I don't remember you being this good. xD Your writing style is clean, emotive and easy to read, and it's hard not to stay enthralled even when horrible things are happening. Good job, Toods. You made me feel things. Mostly angry things. But still things. Thumbs up, yo.

Maybe I'll read TIS now... Once you've finished editing it. xD
Guest chapter 10 . 9/26/2017
I love it!
Rosie-chan chapter 10 . 6/21/2017
This story was so beautiful and riveting, and I'm dying for the sequel! :D
AmaterasuAngel chapter 10 . 4/20/2017
I have Star Bits in my eyes...
SaltwaterJanuary chapter 10 . 7/27/2016
I feel...hope,somehow your writing is amazing!
Lordoftheghostking28 chapter 1 . 1/30/2016
I'm not crying, it's raining on my face. Hard.
In all seriousness, this is what all fanfic writers should aspire to write like. The imagry and emotions are INCREDIBLE, enough to make a black-hearted person like myself completely break down in tears in the last chapter.
Absolutely spectacular!
John chapter 10 . 10/4/2015
Amazing.
The BionicFrog chapter 10 . 9/25/2015
This story was amazing. Like, seriously amazing.

It's an emotional journey, that's for sure. And the emotion is described and conveyed so extremely well. Through their thoughts, their actions, every little detail helps paint a scene so strong you can almost feel what the characters are going through. Certainly made me cry a good few times. xD

And that, along with the very well used description and setting and story pace, makes this one of the most captivating stories I've read. And that's no exaggeration, I've forgotten everything around me and everything else I was doing while reading some of these chapters. Which is one of my favorite things for a story to be able to do, and it's always amazing when it's pulled off as well as you did with this story.

And the characters themselves. That goes a lot with the emotion, but the characters are portrayed very well. They feel entirely in-character, while being more fleshed out than the originals, sometimes to a fairly large degree. And all of them are fleshed out very well, they feel like real and relatable people. Also, Reeeiiiii :D

Put all of that together and you end up with an absolutely, utterly, entirely beautiful tale. Which is exactly what you've made. A masterpiece, from beginning to end.

And this chapter is a very nice way to close it all off. In this small interlude you tie up the story well, while alluding to the next at the same time. And speaking of...

I can't wait for the sequel. I'm very much looking forward to seeing their continued adventures. If it's half as good as this one it'll be a worthy read indeed.

And with that, seeya in the next story~
The BionicFrog chapter 9 . 9/20/2015
*cries forever* ;_;

...*cries more* xD That chapter was amazing though, the emotion was captured perfectly... Perfectly sadly. ;_; Seriously though, that chapter made me cry so much. Beautiful, beautiful work.
KyleR91 chapter 9 . 9/20/2015
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. This story will be in my mind everytime I watch the scene of Shadow and Maria's last moment together, be it the flashback on Sonic X or somewhere else. You've completely brought Shadow and Maria to life and you've done it splendidly. Thank you for an amazing, wonderful story.
The BionicFrog chapter 8 . 9/13/2015
Wow... This chapter was really good. And really emotional. I mean that's one of the driving forces behind the whole story, and very well done throughout, but this chapter seems to be particularly emotional. The final scene had me tearing up. xD
The BionicFrog chapter 7 . 9/4/2015
Well this chapter was amazing. I think it might be my favorite yet... although that's tough to say, as good as the rest of the story has been. xD Seriously though, this chapter is so gripping... Not that the rest of the story hasn't been, but when you finish a chapter to realize you've lost all sense of time, you've let your dink get hot and you still haven't replied to that message from your girlfriend from several minutes ago, you've got a good chapter. Especially if after all that it still leaves you wanting more. xD