Reviews for An Affair or Something
RareNyte chapter 4 . 2/4
Really love your creative style of writing all throughout this fic. You present your own unique storytelling that enhances your simple yet brilliant premise that takes advantages of the characters provided in the source material in ways unimaginable to most writers who stay within the fighting students dynamic. You really utilize the home life and later life struggle aspect to a tee and no character feels out of place despite the clear gap in subject matter between this and canon. I haven't finished entirely yet but still wanted to convey my admiration for this work.
chaossaurus chapter 11 . 11/1/2016
I actually really enjoyed the synopsis style of this. It forced me to imagine the situation and make my own opinions, only to go through a few chapters to then find a twist to prove it wrong. It might even work better this way as you don't get in anyone's head so can't see their thought process. I just did the quick read through so when you mention Ruby bringing up flower language I was confused. I see you bring it up in the post comments, but I can't remember if it was brought up in the story itself, which means it means as much to me as it did to Jaune. Whether that was on purpose or accident (I'm thinking accident as you mentioned you would have been using it more in the novelization) I thought it was well done.

I'm sure I have more great things to say about this, but nice job. And those story threads without answers, well that just makes art reflect life rather than story.
2000redred chapter 10 . 10/31/2016
In chapter 8, 9, and 10, you managed to make me cry. Way to go.
The Tambourine Man chapter 1 . 10/26/2016
In the past, I've read stories that were paced far too quickly for anything to have any meaningful impact. I criticized them by saying they sounded more like a story summary than an actual story. After reading this, I feel I was being too harsh on story summaries. Somehow, even being in an incomplete state and being far darker writing than I typically prefer, this made for a very compelling read. I kept wanting to see what would happen next and how things would unfold. A few scenes- Yang's verdict on whether or not Ruby was lying and Ruby's final decision- had me on the edge of my seat. You did a very good job of sticking to your internal rules, and made a good drama without anyone really being the villain. I suppose the only major problem I have with it is the "Dear Jaune" letter- it becomes a pretty big question that can't be answered without breaking your rules.

And on an analytical note, I can think of one very good reason why staying with Ruby was the better option: Human nature is such that we tend to fall back on what we have done before. by staying with Ruby, talking over their problems, and working together to establish a better life, Jaune (hopefully) learns to be more open with Ruby, and give her the benefit of the doubt instead of projecting all his insecurities. He has a better chance of resolving future problems before they get so bad. If he leaves with Pyrrha, he establishes a far worse precedent; give up on a troubled relationship and find a new one. Though, admittedly, I am biased towards Lancaster.
Meraviglia chapter 11 . 10/11/2016
I've read so many RWBY fics that I am out of stories to read, Honestly, if it had interested me, then I have already read it. But where does your fic come in? Well, it's my favorite. Out of the dozens I've read, and the small handful I've reread, this is the only story I consistently reread. That is not to say it's flawless. The barebones story style is something that annoys me more and more each time. This not being because it is badly written, but rather because I'm so interested in the plot I want that meaty story to sink into. I hate copied story plots, but I hope to see the day when there is another drama filled Jaune marriage fic.
Great story, hope to see a bunch more!
ImawesomeNinja chapter 11 . 9/27/2016
Damn this made angry, sad and happy. Good job.
Wobulator chapter 1 . 9/19/2016
Jesus Christ, you don't pull any punches, do you?

This is an amazing work, to be sure, but... jeez.
Bookfisher chapter 11 . 8/14/2016
This was rather interesting, like a story stripped down to its muscles and bones.

And I didnt find it so depressing due to the relative upbeat end, everyone is better off than before

And the rose garden is a lovely tool.

Now what I didnt like is Pyrrha providing paper on virginity, that was oddly clinical, cruel and sad. Plus I have no idea whetever or 38 yo warrior and fighter with an active and violent life could even keep her hymen intact.
Also wouldnt there be a risk that the Aura healed the hymen if the Aura is activated while the hymen is intact like in True Blood ? which would mean many aura-wielders would be somewhat virgin whatever or not they had sex or even kids.

Anyways faved for the look behind the scenes
revkingdip18 chapter 9 . 7/8/2016
I love this story so much it was an amazing ride. I just have one question. Where is Jaune's family in all of this? I'd think he'd at lest talk to one of his seven sister about all of this.
Daki92 chapter 10 . 5/8/2016
This was, without a doubt, one of the best, if oddest, mature fics in the RWBYverse... Bravo.
x chapter 11 . 4/24/2016
wtf are you my english teacher
sp90TANGo chapter 10 . 4/22/2016
Dear author,

Your stories are so amazing. Really. Your stories... I really have no words.
Tusjecht chapter 11 . 4/17/2016
Even if it was just an overview, there is genius, there is talent, and there is a little bit of your soul in words. From a simple Lancaster premise, the story and feels quickly run deep into themes of the family, the individual, and a subtle but definite nod to flower language. It may never be written, but like a seed in deep earth, someday it may flower. It will not be the prettiest flower in the RWBY archive, but it would stand tall of it own merit of simply answering its own questions and your tenacity to stick to what is planned, rather than what could be.

What I would like to say goes far beyond simply writing 'Hey, I liked your story, great ideas here!' or 'Damn you, CF, why Lancaster over Arkos?' I've personally seen the emotions, reactions, and arguments a couple in a dying marriage have, and even though it was just an overview, detached in its narration and vague in description, I felt myself connecting to the story and the emotional states of the characters. Perhaps you were merely following the 7-beat structure, but as I read on, I wondered to myself whether you had actually experienced a rocky marriage, or was a close friend to someone who underwent the terrible ride.

I think you made an excellent effort in giving all parties their strengths, their flaws, their reasons for supporting an argument and against. There was no clear antagonist, although you cleverly played up the prejudice against Cardin that readers would carry over, and naturally so when Jaune is involved. From Jaune to Pyrrha to Ruby and everyone in between, all had their motivations, their limited knowledge, and their insecurities revealed one way or another. The Rose children too, were not missed out in the overview and had their development as the...anchors to Lancaster (I suppose there isn't another way to describe them). Too often, the children will be brought in as a reason the marriage should continue its course, although Jaune feels less attached to them than Ruby. When they witness a fight first-hand, the impact is enough to scar children for life...

And here I thought that among one of your followups, the children and their perspectives could be shared: in a premise where Ruby lets Jaune go with Pyrrha and she raises her family alone, one daughter became more outspoken, the other withdrew into herself. Eventually anger, resentment, and guilt would push one over the edge, sending her on a crusade to right the perceived wrong. One wishes to amend for what she believes is her past fault, perhaps excessively so. The other daughter of Rose tears herself up inside, blaming herself in childish ignorance for everything that happened to make her Mum and Dad sad and angry. But I digress.

You definitely achieved an enormous goal at the conclusion when Ruby is faced with the choice: creating an illusion of choice where the hardest decision is the best one. I wouldn't talk about the alternatives too much (heh) after such an extended drag through the depths, I think even I as a reader want the happy ending, regardless of which ship. Actually, the ship doesn't even matter insofar that only one was important - Lancaster, to set the story in motion - and the rest were merely what-ifs. For reasons too long and already covered in the Compost Heap, the happiest ending for everyone as a whole was for Jaune to reconcile with Ruby.

This brings me to something else: in RWBYverse, the sexes are equal in power and privilege as far as the viewer can discern - hell, even the characters in the RWBYverse fairytales are women, and that says something about the position each has with regards to the other. It is not difficult to imagine a single mother in the RWBYverse receiving far more care, love, and support than she would in our world today (and sadly so). On the other hand, it's hardly surprising if there were more people like Jaune Rose, having accomplished little except to marry the correct woman. If Taiyang Xiao Long tells us anything, the stay-at-home dad is far more common than we think, and who's to say that the disempowered, quietly depressed Jaune Roses aren't among them?

I really admire your work, College Fool. If I had a hat I'd take it off for you.

-Tusjecht
JUST DO IT 9000 chapter 1 . 4/12/2016
It's Actually supposed to be jaune arc and ruby arc.
Nightraider52 chapter 11 . 4/2/2016
I now respect you as a writer I found this yesterday and spent all night reading this not gonna lie shed a few tears but I respect this piece of writing quite a bit and this is quite the change from other fan fics I've read next to the kinda infamous blood rose. Have a goo day and I'm looking forward to your other writings