Reviews for A Brand New Start
Majerus chapter 17 . 5/5/2022
I cannot help but hold my breath a little as the chapters roll by. You gave us the heebie-jeebies early in the story and then... years of nothing! What are you up to!?
Majerus chapter 16 . 5/5/2022
Very enjoyable little slice-of-life scenes.

"
They all had a good, relaxing evening and soon went to bed with the knowledge that all was going well.
"
Ack! lol, I cringed when I read that last line and couldn't help but hear the bells tolling change... Doom! Doom I say!
Majerus chapter 15 . 5/5/2022
Huh... It's odd to think of skeezer as the 'main villain', especially as I'd kinda expected it to be dumbles. Shows what you get for assumptions (including the one that skeezer is, in fact, the baddie!)
Majerus chapter 14 . 5/5/2022
Heh, your A/N takes the wind out of my sails; I was convinced that dumbles laying his hand on Hydrus' shoulder was to lay a tracking charm on him...
Majerus chapter 13 . 5/5/2022
Fun, but I'm waiting for Hydrus' stalker to come forward - or kill him outright.
Majerus chapter 12 . 5/5/2022
"
The other two men shared a look and then shrugged; they weren't comfortable sharing their feelings either. So they went back to what they were doing before, and like many men before them ignored that that ever happened.
Hey! I... erm... resemble that remark :p
Majerus chapter 11 . 5/5/2022
I'll repeat my last review, good details, and solid, reasonably paced progress.
Majerus chapter 10 . 5/5/2022
Solid chapter, lots of good progress. Though I'm sure others whine about the pacing, it only makes sense that these changes will be slow. I'm enjoying the details and am glad you didn't just hand-wave them.
Majerus chapter 9 . 5/5/2022
Hmmm... well, I cannot say I'm chuffed about Snape getting away Scot-free... but it's better than just outright murdering him and I don't really see a middle ground that keeps him away from dumbles (and thereby, Harry).
Majerus chapter 8 . 5/5/2022
"
"Hydrus Williamsford Black," was the succinct response. Hydrus hated that name, but George thought it up; said it sounded posh. So he kept it to remember his brother in all but blood.
"
You really should have gone with some variation of 'Frederick' if you wanted to honor a Weasley brother...

I thought Sirius was really well done. His actions with Peter in canon fit this level of grief-fueled idiocy quite well.

As a fellow father of four - two girls - I commiserate with your frustration over the way they could trust strangers and, like yours, the four of them varied wildly on who they'd trust and who they'd yell bloody murder if even approached. Then again, I always placed the latter people into a special "do not trust with my kids under any circumstances" category. I find that children can evaluate the truth of a person's character better than any psychoanalyst!

Now, what the heck are they going to do from here!? Sirius has been missing for days and is likely already being vilified as the Betrayer. Then there's the fact that Harry's gone missing as well! Hopefully, they can get the will unsealed since the bearded wanker is probably already moving his chess pieces for His greater good. Note the emphasis.
Majerus chapter 7 . 5/5/2022
Yeah, you accelerated the decay of Magical Britain, but, other than the artificial time scale, I doubt you changed the outcome given the parameters you've set (and they are in line with canon).

Hermione's response to learning that she couldn't go with him was pretty classic... and understandable. The idea of her parents having changed personalities due to memory loss is actually quite interesting, I'm going to have to remember that ;)

Dumbledore would have been easy to manipulate by the simple expedience of showing up with the Deathly Hallows and making it clear that Fate and Prophecy were behind 'Hydrus'. For all the old codgers' vaunted intelligence, he was just as likely as the rest of wizards to evacuate all rational thought with those capitalized words :D

I really liked your simple overview of some of the changes that happened directly after Hydrus started the new branch.

A helluva lot of setup, but plenty of story left to come so I'm looking forward to what he does with all this planning.
Majerus chapter 6 . 5/5/2022
Things with Hermione went both as expected and better than hoped for. She's a wonderful character that can be turned just a little one way or the other and be anything from the best love interest based on unconditional love to the worst enemy based on militant self-righteousness.
Speaking of 'better than expected', getting straight answers from Death was a boon... and now Harry truly does owe ferret a life-for-a-life ;)
Majerus chapter 5 . 5/5/2022
I'm enjoying this a lot. Still confused about your seven chapters of angst comment, but Har... Hydrus is making some great decisions both for his future and his present. I'm still boggled that he didn't hunt down the DE's, but I suppose that's proof that he is letting go of his past impulsiveness.
Lots of fun toys, abuse of inside info, advanced training and abilities (logically and reasonably gained) - these are all "powers" that fit well into the back-in-time tropes yet they are being gained naturally and through effort instead of some ritual/potion/lineage, etc... And, he's helping others in the process.
I hope he goes through the Animagus process, I'd be interested in seeing what you think he should be.
I doubt things will go over well with Hermione.
Majerus chapter 4 . 5/5/2022
I'm glad he finally took on helping those the Ministry was neglecting, and in a very clever - and destructive to the MfM - way.
Majerus chapter 3 . 5/4/2022
"
His thoughts turned to the fact that maybe these two shouldn't be a couple. Hermione will only be repressed by the lazy boy.
"
amen and amen... if anything, Hermione was holding on to bilius due to her abysmal self-esteem (and the traitor himself) regularly told her she couldn't get anyone better... like Harry, for instance.

Solid chapter. Good plans, healthy choices, counseling, research-research-research... he's on an excellent trajectory to... wher... whenever!
1,938 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »