Reviews for A Brand New Start
Guest chapter 8 . 1/23/2023
How did Snape know where the Potters were?
Guest chapter 7 . 1/23/2023
Harry/Hydrus should have held them captive, under the effects of 'Living Death', in a truck, like Mad-Eye was in the 4th Book!
Jabdragon chapter 1 . 1/13/2023
HeyRae chapter 18 . 1/8/2023
Jeez! Again with the Ron bashing, and the kid is still a toddler! Where is all this high level emotion coming from? The kid is too young for all this bashing at this point.
toggers chapter 8 . 1/1/2023
Harry visited his house. There's a small sign by the house with lots of graffiti showing gratitude to the Potters sacrafice
lonewolf420 chapter 4 . 12/31/2022
I agree with George that at least Hermione should have gone back with him. He could have gotten a vile of blood from his fad and adopted her into the weasley clan before they left. Lefts see what happened instead.
Stormshadow13 chapter 26 . 12/5/2022
Awesome story! Loved it! Thank you for a great read.
professionalpotatowastaken chapter 2 . 11/26/2022
Harry's death is far too sudden
EkaterinaSteele chapter 26 . 11/25/2022
really enjoyed this story
blcoachmac chapter 9 . 11/13/2022
How can you not bash Dumbledore? He is as evil as Tom!
blcoachmac chapter 6 . 11/13/2022
Huge amount of leg work to get to the crux of the story! World setting has been good, Harry needs to be slightly overpowered when he goes back!
Worldmaker chapter 8 . 11/11/2022
I'm betting a lot of readers did like I did and skipped to Chapter 8 to avoid all the useless buildup and get to the point of the story.
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 13 . 10/31/2022
I see your problem with dumbledore, but it is small compared to what I have seen other places.

So let me give you a tip in writing him:

Think of dumbledore as if he Speaks like Gandalf, his Primary Motivation is Guilt, and he is the Epitome of the saying "The Road to Hell is Paved with good intentions."

He is also terrified of ending up like his old best friend, Gellert. Which is the sole reason why he gave Harry back his cloak -to not be tempted to gain imortality-, and why he adamantly REFUSE to kill. (Especially refusing to kill Harry. It WOULD have been more merciful.)

He gives people second (and third, and fourth) chances for redemption because he desperately NEED redemption himself. He feels responsible for both his sister's death AND the crimes of Grindewald.

I also suspect he feels responsible for Voldemort -for all the wrong reasons.

He doesn't realize that Tom simply did what everyone expected him to do -as all humans, especially children, do-, nor does he understand how a horrible situation like an orphanage during the war would bring out the worst in everyone.

He believes Tom was BORN Evil -and thus cannot be redeem. If he had realized Tom WASN'T BORN Evil, but a product of his circumstances, he'd be forced to give him a chance to redeem himself -which we all know Tom would never do. And since it would shake the very foundation dumbledore's Values are built upon, he blinds hinself to the possibility of it. He CANNOT let himself see the truth. He can't afford too.

He blinds himself to many things for that reason too. He most likely doesn't ask too much about Harry's health and happiness -because he KNOWS the answer will be bad, but as long as he doesn't know HOW bad, he can pretend it's not THAT bad.

Anyway... I could give you an essay on his mental state, but I'll reiterate my point, because it's really the best, and easist, way to write him correctly:

1. Unless you fully understand his psychology, avoid any and all peeks into his mind. Keep his thoughts to PURE actions. (Wrinkling of the nose, tear welling up, looks of regret, annoyance on his face, and so on. NO "he felt this" "he thought that")

2. Watch Gandalf and Obi Wan Kenobi before writing him. dumbledore is written as the steriotype "wise mentor", and he will speak amd act as such.

3. Even single thing he does, he does because he wants to HELP people. As many people as possible.

4. If you want to make an omelette, you gotta crack a few eggs. The good of the many is more important than the good of the few or the one. But the end does NOT justify the means. NEVER sink to the level of your enemy. EVERYONE deserves a second chance, regardless of whether they show regret or not.

These are some of dumbledore's Core Beliefs. As you can see, they contradict eachother, try to save the many and you must sacrifice the one. Try to redeem someone who will kill again, and people will die.

That creates that Internal Conflict that is so important in characters. Which belief should he act on?

If he want to save the Many, he should train Harry as a warrior from childhood OR prepare him to die for the greater good. Or at LEAST give him the info he needs once he first meet Voldie.

The attempt if letting Harry keep some happiness and childhood is the reason why Sirius dies, why Harry is refused knowledge, and in general is the reason behind many of dumbledore's manipulations. (Like giving the irresponsible Ron a Prefect badge -smoothing over Ron's jealousy by giving him something Harry DON'T have. In the hope it will make Harry's life easier.)

I hate the man, but he's fundementally trying his best to do "the right thing".

He just have the same problem most old men has; He believes HIS way is the ONLY way. And everyone else is just too young and inexperienced to truly understand things the way he does.

(It may have been true in the stone age, but in the modern world it's ridiculus, and yet so, SO common.)

Good luck with your writing. And rememver that there is always room for improvement in any story, and for every writer, regardless how good they get. (Re-read the first Harry Potter book, and you'll notice it's actually not much better than a number of HP fanfics. Lol She improves quickly tho, but I found several spelling errors, amongst other things in my kindle edition.)

And for what it's worth, I think this fanfic is pretty good already. So keep writing. _
DisgustedDidy chapter 20 . 10/29/2022
I don't know if I like grace she is kind of bossy and nosy
elixirmaster chapter 4 . 10/24/2022
'Accidentally' starts a bank run lol.
1,944 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 .. Last Next »