Reviews for The Definition of Normal
RainyDayReader chapter 53 . 8/14
I've been reading straight through but just had to stop here and leave a comment. First, this entire story is fabulous so far! I am particularly impressed with the way you dealt with Albus. It was surprising enough when he agreed to plead guilty and apologized, but then when he was under veritaserum and he still doesn't regret his actions since sacrifices must be made "for the greater good" - manipulative old coot! Of course, those sacrifices are always made by others due to HIS decisions. I guess he was just sorry he got caught, not sorry for his actions. At least he is completely gone now which should help minimize Harry's nightmares that he will be sent back to the Dursley's to "keep him safe."
Your decision to make snape the good guy and the abused party, while writing him as an arrogant ass who belitles and abuses children has made me not want to read what was originally a rather fun story.

I know you dont care about my opinion, but i just wanted you to know.
MARDONSGT chapter 75 . 8/11
Really great story, thank you for sharing.
Luiz4200 chapter 50 . 8/10
If Sirius got Crouch's "wordly possessions", what's the remainder made of?
Uzushiogakure chapter 4 . 8/9
So James must not have been aware that Snivilus was a Death Eater right?
NabikiB chapter 54 . 8/2
Same year my grandmother was born, she was 91 when she died. She died of pure stubbornness, too. She tripped, cracked some ribs and broke a couple by banging into one of the posts on her four-poster and refused to let the doctor bind her ribs. One punctured a lung a few days later. Pure stubbornness.
Ice Demon Ranger chapter 75 . 8/1
This is a most welcome change to how things were in canon. Well written and thought out, it was an enjoyable read. Thank you for sharing your talent and imagination.
almanera chapter 2 . 7/28
Hey,

just found your story and it sounds like a really promising one - I will definitely take a look at the chapters to come.

On your profile you mentioned that you prefer constructive criticism. So, here are some minor things. First off, like many authors who delve into Harry Potter fanfiction, it seemed to me that you weren't careful with the rudeness on the Dursleys' part.

Vernon Dursley called him "boy" when addressing him and Petunia didn't call him anything. I may not be a native speaker but to say something like "freak" as a form of addressing somebody is too much even for Dursleys. It is too rude and it is a fanfiction invention. If I were your beta, I would advice you to go over the text once again and be a little more cautious and critical about these things. Perhaps trying to see it from Petunia's and Vernon's point of view also helps a little. Petunia was constantly overshadowed by her sister with her parents doting only Lily whereas she was as good as invisible to them. Somewhere in between Petunia developed a secret obsession with magic thinking that if she had it, she would be just as special. She even wrote to a letter to Dumbledore. And in the end it backfired on her and left her feeling excluded and bitter. There had not been any time for her to work on her issues. She suppressed them. She suffered until she met Vernon who obviously loved her and she badly wanted to leave the memories of her bitter and constantly overshadowed childhood behind, when suddenly a toddler appeared on her doorstep - just like that. As a bitter reminder of the unhappy home life she used to have before Vernon. She didn't want this child who was her orphaned nephew, but she didn't hate him or abuse him. It is more of a fanfiction invention really.

In fact, some fanfics take it so over the top that I am simply disgusted - with going as far as depicting physical and even sexual abuse. It wasn't the case. The Dursleys were merely ignoring the child, letting him know he wasn't really welcome in their family. Petunia couldn't love him due to her own history of unresolved childhood bitterness which was a trauma in itself. Vernon just followed suit - if you look closely Petunia is obviously the one who dominates the household, Vernon follows her lead. Now, I do believe that Vernon would smack the boy sometimes - especially if the boy broke something while cleaning - but it is still not the kind of abuse as fanfiction authors depict, so honestly, try to avoid throwing around phrases as "wash the car, you freak". Leave it at merely "wash the car". That would be suitable.

Another point - but this is more personal one and you may disagree - I like Sirius Black - I honestly do, I wrote a whole fanfiction of my own just about the Blacks, I am something of a fan when it comes to this family (and yes, all the Blacks - including Narcissa, Andromeda, Bellatrix and their parents Cygnus and Druella and the parents of the boys Orion and Walburga - all of them) - and the way you make Sirius growl in his canine form all the time. It's just not very smart. He still grew up in a kind of environment that had to shape him to be smarter than that. Or else he will give himself away - wizards are not as stupid as not to see how dog growls every time there is a personal conversation. Of course, already Madam Rowling ruined his character in that sense - not making him as smart as he could have been, so it can be pardoned and hence you can disagree with this point of mine.

Otherwise, good chapter.

Best,
almanera
Kimmytrainer chapter 75 . 7/27
Before this chapter, I was sad because I knew there wouldn't be a future epilogue. After reading this, I'm totally okay with that! You did an amazing job with this story. I can't believe so many things changed in less than a year! Also, I noticed that your use of dialogue improved greatly throughout the fic. It was too fast in the beginning, but by the end you certainly learned how to include enough details to slow it down while keeping it interesting. Great job!
Kimmytrainer chapter 73 . 7/27
I've been meaning to ask why you put OC as one of the main characters. I apologize if this comes across as rude, but you are aware that that means "original character", correct? The only one I can think of is Gerald Howe, and I personally don't think he's important enough to put him as a main. The only reason I mention this is that I often filter for stories without OCs, as do others, so there's less chance of someone finding this story due to that inclusion. If it seemed necessary, I wouldn't say anything, but in this case, it feels counterproductive. I just wanted to let you know my thoughts on this because I really have enjoyed this story so far, and it would have been a pity if I missed it due to such a small detail.
Kimmytrainer chapter 70 . 7/27
Shouldn't that money go to the rape victims? I hope that's what Harry does with it. Unless there's some reason not to. You're the author, so you decide how the society of your story works; if it's worse for the victims to be acknowledged by receiving the money, then that's that. This is only a story, but I'm disgusted by Flint. I feel really bad for little Astoria and the others.
Kimmytrainer chapter 62 . 7/26
Eeep he called Sirius "Dad"! I don't think that will be a regular occurance because Harry can still speak to James and Lily, but it was sweet :)
Kimmytrainer chapter 53 . 7/26
Holy shit I was not expecting him to die. Logically, non-magical people don't live to 115 years of age except in extremely rare cases, so it makes sense; it was just a huge surprise.
Kimmytrainer chapter 52 . 7/26
Whoa I totally thought Fudge would manage to get out spot free! I like this more, of course.
Kimmytrainer chapter 49 . 7/26
I'm amazed that Dumbledore was so forthcoming. You didn't really bash him; you just made him an antagonist. I appreciate that.
1,758 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »