Reviews for The New Leader of the Pride - Reloaded
Why doesn't he suggest minimal participation to save his magic and avoid risking his life? Why hasn't this been stated to the masses as a way of protecting Harry's life in the face of being forced to participate by a death eater? There's been no mentioning of the effect of his oath on the house or Ron (that H and Hr are alone suggests Ron is being a prat). Have you written down the skeleton plot of this story and what knowledge is assumed at each point? Somehow it seems to me that knowledge given in your other stories and in canon is filling your mind and you haven't noticed what info you need to make clear in THIS story. Just a thought; hope it helps. I've really enjoyed your stories. Hope you continue to write.
Your references to some masterplan on the part of glyphs and his wife need to be explained pronto. Also, assuming this story is stand-alone some scene preceding all of this explaining glyphs family and background might be needed. I have read your other stories and know about glyphs but you might be assuming things the reader does not know. Somehow, it's not hanging together well; I guess that's why you wanted to rewrite it and were having trouble. I like the story. It's always nice to find one where someone is helping harry - he has such an awful time in canon and most fan fictions. I hope you come back to this story; it has so much going for it. Thanks for sharing.
As you're reviewing this story let me say that i'm not sure whether some of Harry's scars, breaks etc have been caused by Snape and then obliviated if he has to check so regularly on the mediwitch. It makes him even more of a monster if he knows that Harry has suffered before Hogwarts yet still belittles him in class and keeps the mediwitch from treating his historical scars, but if he's that bad he might add to Harry's scars.
This is going to be fun! I like this OC character of yours.
DragonTamer01 chapter 12 . 10/29/2017
Harry, Hermione, you've always said that British Wizards don't have an ounce of logic, but you do, so WHY AREN'T YOU USING IT?! Dragons are REPTILES. What is something that ALL reptiles are vulnerable to? THE COLD! If you're going to fight a Dragon, your best friend is going to be the Glacius Ice Blast charm.
DragonTamer01 chapter 6 . 10/29/2017
Funny line at the end of this chapter, but I will CERTAINLY take it to heart. But between you and me, I'd be more worried about pissing off a U.S. Army Ranger than pissing off a U.S. Marine.
stars90 chapter 12 . 8/1/2017
Oh please continue this. I love Glyphs!
Guest chapter 12 . 5/24/2017
Retrieving Egg from Dragon:
1) JKR had Harry summon cup in the graveyard to escape, could the egg be summoned?
Certainly something to try before summoning his broom.
2) Wingardium Leviosa: Beat dragon with a large rock, like JKR had troll bashed with its club.
3) Shrink a large rock, banish it into Dragon's mouth, finite on shrinking spell.
Maybe write Charlie a letter saying past tournaments had champions facing a dangerous beast and rumour is they are going to face dragons and asking if beating dragon with rock (or other ideas) would work and if dragon could be healed and if eggs would be protected from accidental damage.

Retrieving Hostage from Lake:
Go Marines. Recon location of village before task, take boat, use wet suit, maybe an alternative to gillyweed (but a magical marine would know about such a nice tool), don't forget knife.

Retrieving cup from maze:
JKR had Harry summon cup in the graveyard, so no reason Harry couldn't summon it from entrance to maze (JKR had him summon his broom from further). Probably need to recon the cup. If he didn't summon the egg, then he might discover he can summon it after he gets it and have omg moment realising how easy the task would have been if he'd just summoned it - resulting in that being Plan A for getting the cup.
digbygreen chapter 8 . 11/4/2016
The diadem is on the statue of Rowena in the Ravenclaw Common Room.
Carolyn chapter 12 . 8/14/2016
Haven't a clue how to move you past the first task-but I like other authors' using Harry's Parselmouth ability. For the rest of the tournament, I enjoyed Meteoricshipyard's "Luna's Hubby", where the tasks were changed. Can you come up with something more in keeping with Glyph's Marine background? (Or his baseball bat! :). )
Cassandra30 chapter 4 . 8/3/2016
Well stated and hilarious as well. 'This ain't no bakery' indeed!
Cassandra30 chapter 3 . 8/3/2016
Good for Professor Glyphs. Give it to Lavender in a way she understands.
Cassandra30 chapter 2 . 8/3/2016
Terrific!
Cassandra30 chapter 1 . 8/3/2016
Still love this story! I am glad to see it back!
ARedHair chapter 12 . 5/30/2016
Suggestions:
1) Summoning the egg instead of his broom
2) Levitating the egg (because its a 1st year spell)
3) Levitate a bag over to pick up the egg, possibly disillusioned
4) Disillusion, enlarge, silence, and no-scent on self, walk over & take egg
5) Summon, disillusion, silence, and no-scent a snake to take egg
6) Use Parseltounge to talk to the dragon

A summoning charm may seem too simple and obvious, but if Harry could summon the cup in the graveyard its entirely possible he could summon the egg. It seems to be a glaring omission that Harry didn't at least try to summon it before summoning his broom. However, this idea has been used in other stories; e.g., "All with Accio" by freakyfinger s/8358572.

An alternative to summoning the egg would be to levitate it with "Wingardium Leviosa". I'm not sure if I've read a story using this. It would certainly be ironic to complete the task with a charm taught near the beginning of first year.

If the egg is protected against summoning or levitation, perhaps some sort of sack could be levitated over to pick it up. It might have to be invisible/disillusioned in which case Harry might need to find a spell he can cast on his glasses so he could see what he was doing. If it wasn't disillusioned, it would have to be protected against Dragon breath and maybe taste bad. I think he'd have to practise to make this work, maybe needing something special on the sack to help scoop up the egg. I don't recall reading a story using this technique.

I can't think of a story title at the moment, but I know I've read stories using a disillusion/silencing/no-scent combination. Certainly to get past Mrs. Norris, but I think also to get the egg. I don't think a no-scent spell is Canon. This is a bit risky, since if the Dragon did notice him he's a sitting duck.

It would be safer to summon, enlarge, disillusion, silence, and no-scent a snake and use Parseltounge to instruct it to collect the egg. Need to be sure it won't take a real egg. As with the sack idea, Harry might benefit from being able to cast a spell on his glasses so he can see what the snake is doing.

I've read several stories that generalizes Harry's parselmouth talent to allow him to talk to the dragon, including "Can't Have it Both Ways" by Robst s/5402315 and more recently "Muggle-Raised Champion" by Stargon1 s/11610805. Of course, some snakes eat eggs so speaking parseltounge in a Dragon's hearing might have an adverse result.

Finally, you could have Harry fail the task. Perhaps Cedric would provide Harry with the clue as thanks for telling him about the dragons.

An idea for the second task is to take a boat to the middle of the lake over the Mer village, then summon a water snake, enlarge it, and send it down with instructions to rescue a hostage. Draco was able to summon a snake at the Dueling Club in second year and enlarged Hermione's teeth before the Weighing of the Wands (iirc).