Reviews for Empty
LilyDayz chapter 1 . 1/13/2003
God's anointing is upon you.
WHHAT chapter 1 . 1/13/2003
Those exact words could have came out of my mouth... I've been thinking about that topic alot lately. The worldly people, they try to fill their emptiness with materialistic junk, they deny the truth over and over. I thought that was so cool how you mentioned that darwin became a christian. what irony(in a good way of course) that he spent his whole life trying to prove evolution but in the very end turned to God. I bet god was knocking at his door the whole time, but he just didn't open it untill the last minute. your a great writer, keep doing it.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/4/2003
This is really beautiful. Thanks for posting it.
Patrick chapter 1 . 1/3/2003
It always manages to bring a smile to my face when Christianity (in this case, an wise and innocent poem) is challenged with scads of anti-Christian remarks, none of which can are intellectually challenging despite better attempts than I would be willing to put forth.

Evolution "could have" and probably did happen, as science suggests. It is the theory of "Natural Selection" that is the farce, not evolution. God evolved us, not a non-sentient force, and I believe that is what Darwin was trying to say.

I also find it absolutely HYSTERICAL that after all this time, it is mentioned that Darwin became Christian, an atheist FINALLY says "he was a goof-ball!" Laugh. Out. Loud. When the tables turn, they SPIN, baby. Try making up your minds for once, eh? WE have.
AngelEyes chapter 1 . 1/3/2003
Hey, you should send this poem to ! It's great! Don't worry about the flames. You are speaking the truth, some people are just never satisfied. I was listening to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack as I read this and I was so incredibly moved by this! You are once good poet and I hope you'll write more!
I Hate Jebus Freaks chapter 1 . 1/1/2003
I think this is extremely well written and I really enjoyed reading it. Although you write about God, I do not feel that you are forcing it on anyone, so I won't flame you. Anyway, I disagree about everybody needing God. When I write I feel completely whole and satisfied. However, I can understand how some people need God AKA something to believe, something to have faith in.

Maria
Sarathiel chapter 1 . 12/31/2002
Applied to you, this is true (I assume, since you would know). I liked it better when you went on to say "nothing in this world has ever satisified _me_" because when you bring it back to a personal level it's not telling me something about myself that I don't think is true.

Eh, random note. No one is whole or there wouldn't be suicides-I don't see how that follows. One whole person wouldn't mean no one else would committ suicide. ?

All right, I'll say it: I don't know what you're talking about. Neither riches nor popularity hold much sway over me. I don't want to look perfect, because I'm so very un-perfect it would feel insanely silly. Then, too, I don't know what your definition of perfection is. And if I have a hole, it's not God-shaped. (No one take that in a perverted way...I didn't choose the metaphor...)

There are many people out there who will tell you why people "feel the need to believe in a god," and that's part of why they don't: because they think the "god-shaped hole" created God and not the other way around. (Who's "they"?) We atheists have survived, too. :) I'm not planning on becoming extinct, either.

By the "three biggest ones," what do you mean? When you say they all trace back to the same place, I'm inclined to think Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. But Judaism is definitely not even near one of the biggest, number-wise.

How are we losing our souls? That stanza interested me, and I don't think you continued that strand of thought. Blerp. Long-winded response, much...not intended as a flame, simply as my reactions as I read the poem.
Songbreeze Swifteye chapter 1 . 12/31/2002
wow...great poem! so true, what you wrote about Christianity. yeah, even Darwin knew that this world was not randomly created and that it was the work of God. good job! keep writing!
Java Trinomial chapter 1 . 12/30/2002
...Damnit, I don't want to say it, but you wrote a good poem.

Even if Hindu and Buddhism are ignored. And that Christianity is only so big because it was convert or the frickin' sword...

*cough* Sorry. Bitterness bad.

...Evolution DID happen. It's scientifically sound. And yes, it's "just" a theory. Just like the theory of gravity. Darwin...was a goofball. I admit it. But the thing is, when you claim Creation Science is science...claiming it doesn't make it so. If you call the tail of a horse a leg, it still has 4 legs, ne? A scientific hypothesis means it can be disproven. It's kinda hard to prove God poofed all the animals into existance then you haven't proven the existance of God. And until God shows up to be proven, he isn't.

Basically...If you believe God exists, doesn't exist, or is a chicken's head - it's okay to me. But claiming that pi is 3, like "the Bible says," is not valid. Science explains how things happen and why they happen. Faith explains why things happen *the way they do*. That's a fundamental difference.

Meow. Please don't hurt me, I'm tired...And this was written in good faith. it was. Please belive me...Beren will back me up...
Mercuria chapter 1 . 12/30/2002
Ooh, I said some of that stuff!

Hee, when I said there was no "God-shaped hole" I meant that since not everyone needs to believe in God to be happy (namely, myself, but I'll get to that) it is impossible for every human being on this earth to have a God-shaped hole as an essential part of their hearts, minds, souls, etc. An empty space, yes, I could see that, but people choose to fill it up with different things, making it not exclusively for God.

Anyway, on to me. Oh yes, I just looooove talking about myself! (Note to other reviewers: You're not supposed to agree with me on that one, even if you personally believe it to be true.)

Okay, I don't believe in God. I still believe myself to be a spiritual person, but I choose to think about the beauty down here on earth rather than whatever distant glory awaits us all in heaven. The idea of a deity is just not important in my way of life. I am happy.

And, to be evil and logical, doesn't that disprove your theory?

I mean, if we assume:

-Everybody has an empty space to be filled

-Only God can fill it

Then a person who can exist happily without God (me) is either a freak or has just proved you wrong. And I don't mean to say that you're deluding yourself or whatnot, because I firmly believe that you should do whatever is right for you. I just mean that your theory doesn't work in a universal sense.

P.S. Perfect is in the mind of the beholder.
Chaos of the Scythe chapter 1 . 12/30/2002
Very nice. I'm glad that you mentioned that part about Darwin. Many people don't know that he admitted that there had to be a creator for everything to take place. Good job!

~Heart of the Sword
Blackflame chapter 1 . 12/30/2002
*claps* that is a really pretty poem... i love the metaphor about the egg... *dunno what to say* just that it's so true