Reviews for Dance on the Thunder
Unicadia chapter 1 . 6/5/2017
This is such a sad, sweet piece. I love how you write Sam and Maglor - Sam is very, well, Sam-like, and Maglor is exactly what you would expect a weary, old, tormented elf would be like. Good job!
VanyaNoldo22 chapter 1 . 5/9/2017
I don't know why... but I cried while I was reading this. But I can't help but smile and laugh at the ending. I like the way you portrayed Maglor and I'm really happy with Sam's reaction. Hannon le, mellon nin :)
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 1 . 1/10/2017
This story is positively beautiful. I adore your Sam: his 'righteous anger' upon first realizing who Maglor is, his discernment about Maglor's heart and his relationship with Elrond, and ultimately his kindness and pity toward the Elf. His manner of speaking and his boldness in "calling Maglor out" fit him perfectly.

Your Maglor, too, his flawless. You capture his despair, his acceptance of his fate, without bitterness. I love how Sam questions his deepest, most long-held beliefs about himself. I particularly loved this line of his: "Good is not a thing you are. It is a thing you do." That so exquisitely encapsulates his hopelessness. I was also struck by your descriptions of Maglor in the woods - the ancient painting, emotionless and faded and out of place. Gorgeous.

An amazing story overall: vivid, well-written, and true to both characters. This is one I'll definitely read over and over.
-Crackers
Guest chapter 1 . 11/4/2016
I would love to see a continuation of this! What can I say? It's endearing yet sad, which is the kind of mood I usually get when I'm reading Tolkien's works, and you've written Sam very well.
GHAPDY chapter 1 . 5/29/2016
That was saw. . .and sweet. I think I am officially hooked on your writing though. Loved this so much!
Laerthel chapter 1 . 1/16/2016
Now this is a miraculous little story! I've wondered a lot what has become of Maglor during his endless wanderings (such a cruel fate...) and how it would have turned out if he met some known characters from the Third/Fourth Age... and wow. You captured Sam Gamgee's character quite so well. More than well, actually... every word of him was definitely IC and this made the whole thing extremely believable - especially the tea offer. It just occurred to me that hobbits seem to solve any situation with tea (it's enough to think of Bilbo and Gandalf...) I'm glad Maglor accepted it in the end. Another perfectly Samwise-like thing was the part when he reproached Maglor for wanting to punish himself by not contacting Elrond. That one was excellent!

Another detail I particularly liked was your description of his eyes. Oh, and that he's forgotten laughter... that broke my heart a bit...
Qeani chapter 1 . 10/9/2015
I don't often leave reviews, well I suppose I do, but this story was very touching. Although, I almost wonder what would happen if you continue it. It's good as a one shot but, I think it could continue. :)
austenfan1 chapter 1 . 10/3/2015
Sam makes a very gruff host. This was a very charming story, too bad it's a one shot.
BookWorm624 chapter 1 . 9/29/2015
I loved this! Elanor was so cute! I also really like the idea of Makalaure showing up in the 4th Age...I just wish the poor ellon had a happy ending! But I also appreciated how Sam, even though he knew what Makalaure is, was still willing to show him a simple kindness. I hope you will consider writing more to the story because it is so good I don't want to see it end!
sullhach chapter 1 . 9/26/2015
Hmmm, yes, Sam Gamgee on bis best!
I supposed kind of, when Elanor described her meeting, but it is rea─║ly a wonderful idea of letting Maglor know about Elrond's fate.
I remember a similar meeting between Sam and Celeborn, where they discuss their loss of a beloved person to the curse of the rings, written by Marnie
A rare opportunity for Maglor, to speak with somebody, who is full aware of his deeds, but ready to forgive, no, but at least to understand...
Ashfae chapter 1 . 9/26/2015
This is lovely!
LCAAS chapter 1 . 9/26/2015
ugh. ugh ugh ugh this was just perfect and ugh I have no words
link55-06 chapter 1 . 9/25/2015
Love the characterization!
Araloth the Random chapter 1 . 9/24/2015
Oh wow! The idea of a Hobbit meeting Maglor is absolutely marvellous.

Sam reflecting on the fact that he'd never met an elf who made him want to punch holes in things made me grin, and I will admit that my eyes watered a little when he wondered what Mr. Frodo would say if he knew that he'd let the temper get the better of him. Your Maglor is certainly interesting and enigmatic. I think I want to read more of him!

Thank you for writing this, I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Ara
msg839 chapter 1 . 9/24/2015
My goodness! this story is simply adorable. It never passed through my mind the idea that Sam could meet Maglor after the war of the ring and so close to the Shire. GREAT IDEA!. I love the stories where Maglor appears in the Four Age or even in our modern days, wandering and mourning along the sea shores (and I like them better if they have a happy ending for our dear minstrel ;). I enjoyed so much each detail of their encounter, and the idea of Eleanor serving as a hook for their "fated" meeting. Truly, I would love to if you could continue this story. It is so homey and at the same time so sad, like the huge contrast between Sam and Maglor, that by the way, they appeared to me as very much in character. I agree with you, everything can be redeemable when that someone is truly repentant.
Another details that I loved: when Sam remembered "Master Frodo" and asked himself: "what will master Frodo say?" and then how this touched an special chord in his heart.
And when Sam spoke of Elrond, and the reaction that it had upon Maglor.

In a few words: beautifully written.