Reviews for Madame Wheelbarrow
bloomandgrow chapter 1 . 4/23
What a beautiful heartwarming story. I discovered this by chance - definitely a serendipitous moment. It reminds me of the allegory in Mary Poppins with the little old bird woman who shows so beautifully that it does not take much to show love.

Valjean's warmth and kindness to a complete stranger (and someone who would be invisible to many people going about their daily business) is so in keeping with his character. It is very much a part of his sense of humanity and decency.

If I understand correctly, Madame Wheelbarrow is the grown up little match girl. Honestly, that story had me in floods of tears as a child and I could not bear to read it to my own children when they were young. It adds a touching poignancy to your story to see her grown up, and despite her dreams of owning her own shop, selling her wares in a humble wheelbarrow, with a kindliness of spirit.

The quote at the end was exquisite. I am sorry about your father (you mention him in your A/N). I lost my father in law too recently, and the same could be said of him. We are blessed to have had such people in our lives.
Andromakhe chapter 1 . 3/25
I...can't find words. What a wonderful story.
tracelynn chapter 1 . 10/2/2016
Wow. This was very beautiful. Madame Wheelbarrow was an interesting character, and I liked the dynamic of her relationship with Valjean and Cosette. I'm not very well versed in Les Mis, but I have read a few fics in the fandom, and this is one of the best I've read. I really, really did enjoy this one. No SPaG errors in sight, and this was filled with emotion and was very well written. I enjoyed all of it. It was especially nice to read about how they never really thought that their routine would change, and then the aftershocks between Madame and Cosette after the series of events had transpired was very interesting. Really great job, and I hope to tag you again sometime! :D
Laura Schiller chapter 1 . 6/30/2016
This made me want to cry.
MaryChapel chapter 1 . 4/14/2016
I really enjoyed this fanfiction. The inside look at Cosette's childhood and Valjean as a father is very sweet and touching, esp. as seen through the changing seasons and passing years. Marius continuing his father-in-law's 'tradition' is simply the cherry on top of the situation.

However, two small things...

First, 'strollers'? Not very common in 1800's France, sad to say, and they would not have been called that, if you mean prams/baby carriages, which is what it reads like. Promenading path or simply pathway would read better, I think.

Also, it's hard to tell where the story breaks are at first glance. Now, I am a big fan of short, poignant moments, so this might simply be a style difference. However, for me, line breaks would parse the story out better and create a better impression of flowing time.

Overall, very nicely done! Thank you for writing this. :)

Mary
TheRavenclawAthena chapter 1 . 2/1/2016
Oh my goodness, this got me right in the feels. I love how you show Valjean's character so well through his simple act of kindness to a poor old woman and through his hesitance to accept her thanks. Also, Cosette's willingness to share her grief with "Madame Wheelbarrow" was so sad, but so accurate to her character! I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this story, but it certainly did not disappoint! Very well done. :)
HedgehogJawn chapter 1 . 11/26/2015
My goodness gracious, this is fabulous work!
I teared up a little bit :c Which is not a rare occurance in this freakin' fandom I must say.
Your writing is beautiful, and your story as well. One of the best Les Mis fics I have ever read.
So very sweet and in-character. I like that Marius is going to carry on the tradition of helping with the wheelbarrow.
Thank you for sharing your story with the world! You won't get a 'favorited' notification because I'm not logged into an account, but I want you to know I've saved this to my browser bookmarks so I can hang onto it :)

-Hedgie
lalaclayton chapter 1 . 11/20/2015
Loved it, again x
Lamia of the Dark chapter 1 . 11/8/2015
I'm still fandomblind here other than knowing a basic summary of the plot, but your fics about these characters are always so cute and fluffy that I can't help wanting to reading them... The title of this one really caught my eye before I even noticed which fandom it was for.

I really loved the woman with the wheelbarrow, and how through the few encounters she has with the main characters, we can see pretty much her whole life story. And she just wants to repay the kindness of the person who helps her, but he insists on paying because he knows she can't really afford to be giving things away for free. The ending with Cossette and Marius carrying on the tradition after Valjean is gone was just perfect for this piece.

I like how this is like an exploration of human kindness, how the ones who've had it hardest in life are the ones who have the most compassion for others in unfortunate circumstances.
KatieBees chapter 1 . 10/21/2015
Warning, I have watched the Les Miserables movie, but I have never read the book.

The first sentence is well done. I was immediately intrigued at why the woman with the wheelbarrow caught Cosette's attention. Who is the woman? Why does she have a wheel barrow?
Haha! I loved that she is selling strawberry crepe's. I shared Cosette's surprise, it's not what I expected at all.

Valjean's lack of hesitation to help, as well as insisting on paying felt very in character. His influence on Cosette is shown when she holds the same lack of hesitation to help.

"...when the trees of the park were all aflame with reds and oranges.." I love this pieces of description. It's beautiful, and really brings the imagery to life.

I liked that Marius is extremely puzzled about Madame Wheelbarrow. I feel like he shared the same confusion I did at the beginning.

"I got so used to seeing him that I...I suppose I thought he would always be here in the park." This sentence really speaks to me. I teared up a bit. I lost my great uncle recently and I feel this way a lot. You get so used to seeing someone in some way, that you always assume they will be there.

Marius offer to pay for it was a nice echo of Valjean.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of one-shots. But you have a wonderful way with words and I thoroughly enjoyed reading Madame Wheelbarrow. It was pleasant and unexpected.

Thank you so much for writing.
emeraldarrows chapter 1 . 10/15/2015
Lovely.
stefanie bean chapter 1 . 10/3/2015
Oh my, this is so moving. I can see Cosette and Valjean hiding in plain sight, visiting the park, Valjean helping the woman, eating crepes or bread. Your story captures what to me is the essence of Valjean: a person with this extraordinary past and experience cloaked under the quiet veil of ordinary, everyday life.

Marius is so like Valjean, too, in his small mannerisms, like being willing to help, and to pay for the crepes. Like Valjean, he's experienced poverty and ignonimy. Like Valjean, it hasn't made him bitter, but rather has softened his heart. Cosette is so fortunate, to have her life book-ended by men such as them. She's also fortunate in that being raised by Valjean has made her capable of seeing and responding to such goodness, to perceive it in others such as Marius, and to act upon it herself (such as going to the wheelbarrow woman's aid herself)

And that quote at the end: what a heart- and tear-jerker. Thanks for writing this.
Noelani618 chapter 1 . 9/30/2015
Oh this was beautiful! Such simple interactions that meant so much. And the inscription at the end...wow, such a profound thought! For a fictious character Valjean, but more so for the soul on which it was actually written. Thank you for sharing it with us in this story!

*happy sigh* I really do adore your portrayal of Valjean and Cosette as father and daughter. Happy to read something new!

Cheers!
Noelani
Gamemakers chapter 1 . 9/30/2015
Oh, this is lovely. I liked your use of the prompt - knowing that this was the little match girl all grown up made it extra sad, which I really enjoyed.

The inscription at the end does a fabulous job of tying everything together. Valjean and Madame Wheelbarrow didn't even know each other's names, but yet they were so wonderfully kind to each other that it shows how Valjean treated everyone he came across. Lovely fic, Rebecca.
LaRose24601 chapter 1 . 9/28/2015
This is beautiful. I love any story that shows Cosette and Marius carrying on Valjean's legacy, and this is one of my favorites.