Reviews for Always You Three
alix33 chapter 60 . 12/23/2021
You meant "From the Pomfreys' house".
I love the idea of Ro using a muggle notebook and finding it morte convenient than parchment. I have used muggle notebooks (who havew not really changed since the start of the 20th century and thus those in use in post-World War II Britain would not be that much different from the ones I have thus far used in 21st century Johannesburg) every day of my life since 1 April 2003.
Hester sounds as if her knowledge as a law student of family emancipation and her name and phone number was or is going to be fantastically useful to our quartet. Bless her.
I think you spelled earshot as two words iearlier in this chapter. You need to chedk, please. The one word spelling you used after Hester left is the correct one (at least in South African English it is).
You meant for Poppy to say "parents' work friend".
AW! Bless Mrs and Dr. Pomfrey, offering Ro a home!
Congratulations, Irma Elladora!
I came over all covetous about those internal expansion chamrs on their bags that they're taking to the Quidditch World Cup in France.
In white South Africa in the 1980s, when I was in high school, there is a thing called veld school in one's grade 10 year that is basically an extended, week long camping trip that the Afrikaans, white, state high schools used to sponsor for their grade 10 pupils. Each gender would go spearately to a camping ground in the then province (South Africa had four provinces in the 1980s: Transvaal, the Free Sate, The cCape Province and Natal) that the school was in. I think if I remember correctly it was grade 10s of one other neighbouring high school that were at veld school with the grade 10 girls from my school. It was my one and only camping trip kind of experience in my life thus far and I emphatically never want to have more.
What did they get for dinner from the food vendor?
"up-and-coming" needed hyphens right through it.
That engraved snitch Madam Crickerley just gave Ro was IMO such a moving thing to read and for her to do.
Alinyaalethia chapter 59 . 6/28/2021
I think the attack needed all that narrative space. I really like how in Minerva’s third limited everything slows down and she’s trapped in these impossibly long movements that don’t connect for the duration. There are some lovely lines in this part of the chapter and I’m sorry they elude me now and I do t have the time to go back and tease them out, so just know I noticed while reading.

Merrythought continues to be outstanding. Lavender is my go-to too. I made all the cups of it while a friend agonised over whether she had made her Cambridge entrance or not. And her assessment of and treatment of flashback feels really well-considered, so whatever you’re using to help inform that is working for you.

Larry’s Rae grief is painful. But how could it not be. Winston was so young! Much as I love Larry and Minerva, I’ve always regarded them, and forgive the bizarre analogy, a bit like the cats I sit for. I love them, I would love to keep them, but there was always an end date on the thing given your close-to-cannon take. And as endings go, the undoing that can happen with grief makes sense. Throw in the complication of distance and the uncertainty of where Larry goes next, and this makes painful sense. But character sense too that they part friends.

What really got me though was Minerva drawing comparisons between the werewolf and Irma’s father and how facing one had given her the steel to face down the other. God, the things that said without saying. The things it did to me. Succinct and telling writing at its best. We knew suddenly the full horror of Irma’s home life, and good lord, no one that age should have to have lived through that. Somehow his casting her into darkness was an emotional afterthought after that because the implicit raw horror of years of trauma was devastating.

Seeing her in Scotland after that was lovely, though as ever, I have serious logistics questions about Hogwarts Scottish students. Why on earth does the school not have a Scottish arm to save Minerva the trip down to London to go North again?! Not on you at all, just the things I think about. I studied out that way and you can bet if I could have done it without the zoo of mundane Kings across I would!

But irrelevant musings aside, I enjoy how Caithness is at least temporary respite for Irma. It feels far too accurate that her father’s vitriol got into her inner monologue when the moon came due and made her worry, but somehow my favourite part of that was Irma saying no, you need to listen to me. It said so much about how safe she felt that she could challenge her friend like that. And Minerva not just listening but finding a way to stay with her safely was gorgeous. I know she’s never a POV character, but I’ve always had a lot of time for this sometimes understated friendship between Irma and Minerva. Maybe because I too am infamously unsentimental. But ending on this shared moment of giddy relief after all they have been through was perfect. Really lovely work as always. And congrats on the degree! Weathering they workload and covid is no smell thing.
Alinyaalethia chapter 58 . 6/27/2021
Ah, I’m behind and I’m due on a work call shortly. I tell you I do not like these pandemic hours. How is half six in the evening any time for a planning session? But we’ll see if I can’t rattle through this beforehand.

Larry and his NEWTs are giving me every hideous IB exam flashback ever. But you weave in lots of lovely moments here to lessen some of that and I enjoy them all. I especially like what a safe space Poppy and Ro have in their friends. I worried a bit, but I love how it’s worked out and particularly that the more hesitant Ro sets the revelations pace. (Pausing yo note how I e joy that bit of reversal in the girls. Poppy is so unapologetically devoted to her it’s sweet, and you sort of sense Ro is equal parts enjoying the secret as much as she’s hesitant.)

The patron uses, as ever with your character details are really well drawn. Irma not being able to produce one hurts, but I’d also have raised an eyebrow if she had. And again, so lovely to see the support for her in place now. That must mean the world. And the banter after the lesson is the stuff I’ve missed. I check every few weeks for your updates but don’t always catch them in time and all the light trading was like coming home.

Thoroughly approve of the wizard World Cup plans, too. Now more than ever they need a break.

Though I did not see that final turn coming. You escalated that do well- the attack, the dread, and I kept thinking how much trauma these girls have weathered. I adore Poppy both wanting to protect the boys but also meeting them as fellow travellers on that road because of how young they were while the school was under threat.

And Irma - in case her wield wasn’t rocked enough, hm? But I’m fascinated to see where this leads. You say it so well in your note, I shall just send up a ringing endorsement of that. As ever, waiting to see what happens next.
Anonymous chapter 59 . 6/2/2021
Hi! It's me again. When should we expect a new chapter?
Anonymous chapter 59 . 5/10/2021
I loved this chapter! Please, please, please continue to write! Yours is one of my favorite fanfics.
ChiaraMcKinnon chapter 59 . 5/6/2021
Ok, first: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Second... I'll reiterate what I said about the last chapter: IRMA NEEDS A BREAK. AND A HUG. A LOT OF HUGS. AND FRICKIN BETTER PARENTS! ARGGGHGH
I'm currently cursing Franklin Vector to hell for being so horrible and I'm kinda hoping for... An accident? Maybe? Like, a pretty love story with a dementor? Pleeease?
Aside from that, well now we know why lyall hates werewolves so much.
And Larry and Min... I always headcanoned Min liking girls but I quite liked her relationship with Larry, I'm so sorry it ended.
Galatea Merrythought is a treasure and needs to be protected at all costs, please don't follow the fantasy trope of killing off the wise mentor because I will cry she's one of the few good adults there and they need her so much!
Irma being so worried about being a werewolf at the end broke my heart, and Minerva staying with her too... Guess this plays well with that headcanoned going around that Min knew the marauders were trying to become animation and subtly helped them tho. Ugghh you gave me the feelsss
Anyway I loved this chapter, you're awesome and I can't wait to see what comes next (maybe a break for Irma? Please? Pretty please?) Keep it up!
alix33 chapter 59 . 5/5/2021
Minerva's violent sobbing, "all the fear and exhaustion and sorrow flooding her at once" reminds me of my own daily crying jags ever since I was laid off on 31 October last year. I have been unemployed ever since, despite three Zoom job interviews and countless proofreading tests.
I don't have words for how much I loathe Irma and Septima's parents after they just disowned Irma and threw her out of their house because she might have contracted lycanthropy in the werewolf attack.
DarkChocolateLord chapter 59 . 5/3/2021
WOW
One, I kind of wish Septima had gone with Irma; even though Irma told her to stay, I don't understand why Septima is 'safer' with their parents, especially knowing what they're capable of doing to their kids.
Two, WINSTON. OUCH. WHY. WHY. AND WILLIAM. AND IRMA EVEN THOUGH SHE ISN'T DEAD. WHY DO BAD THINGS KEEP HAPPENING TO IRMA. DO YOU ENJOY TORTURING HER?
The werewolf attack seemed a little random, but its implications were spot-on. You nailed the reactions here, especially Minerva's; her trauma deserves to be explored and you did it so well.
I hope you'll let them be HAPPY at the Quidditch World Cup...right? right?
ChiaraMcKinnon chapter 58 . 4/26/2021
Aaaah anche update! I love you so much! Actually no I take that back WHAT WAS THAT AT THE END IRMA BETTER NOT DIE ALRIGHT?!
Merlin, they really can't get a break, can they? Anyway I loved this chapter, the fluff between Ro and Poppy is so adorable! Poor Irma needs a break, tho now I realise she will not die because she's there when Harry & co. get to hogwarts... Pheww that's a relief! I'm rambling, can you tell?
The exam induced stress is described perfectly, made me think back on my own exams and how glad I am that they're still a little while away... Irma needs a break, did I say that already? Oh come onnn, she deserves it!
Anyway yeah, love your fic and I will be so sad when it's over :( but also happy because I know they're all fine and they will all make it through :) would you consider ever writing some outtakes of Minerva, Poppy, Ro, Irma and Septima at Hogwarts during Harry's years, how they reacted to they trouble the trio got in, etc? I'd love to see that, especially Poppy complaining that Harry is basically in the hospital wing once every two days, and their reaction to the chamber of secrets mess, and minerva's reaction to Harry being chosen for the triwizard tournament, their reactions to umbridge, them worried bc MERLIN'S SAKE MIN DID YOU HAVE TO LET THE TOAD LAND YOU IN SAINT MUNGO?
I mean no pressure if you don't want to write it but it would be awesome, also poppy and ro being together during the whole thing aaah adhllshjjg
Anyway yeah, love the fic, love the chapter, love you, bye!
Anonymous chapter 58 . 4/21/2021
I really like this fanfic! Please continue!
alix33 chapter 58 . 4/13/2021
Daisies are my co-favourite flower, so I adored the mental pic I got of everyone sporting those daisy chains. I don't think I would be able to make a daisy chain.
Professor Merrythought's squirrel, Lyall Lupin's wolf and Helen Lambert's floppy-eared dog patronus all sound cute.
Poppy's cottontail hare was scratching "its ear ".
NeverQuitDreaming chapter 1 . 4/13/2021
What an interesting premise! I really like the allusions you are making toward WW2, and I love your characterization of your main characters. I'm excited to see where this story all goes!
DarkChocolateLord chapter 58 . 4/13/2021
AAAAAAAH
WHY
WHO DID YOU KILL OFF AAAAAH
AND WHY IRMA. WHY DO YOU LOVE HURTING HER SO MUCH.

SO MANY QUESTIONS. Who died? Was the werewolf in full form? I'm guessing that Irma won't become a werewolf because it was just clawing, not biting, but the tension is HIGH. Why was there a werewolf in the castle? Did one just break in?

Amazing job with all these scenes; I love the emotion, and the Patronuses were perfect. They fit the characters so well, and while Irma not being able to cast one is so sad it also makes so much sense. And the mental image of them hanging out and drinking Butterbeer, or testing each other for exams...yes. just yes.
DarkChocolateLord chapter 57 . 4/9/2021
I can't wait for the next chapter!
The Quidditch match was so much fun, and so was the healer club.
DarkChocolateLord chapter 56 . 4/9/2021
RO/POPPY
YESSS
AWWWW
I LOVE THIS I LOVE THIS I LOVE THIS I LOVE THIS

And the sign language makes a ton of sense, that was such a cool part!