Reviews for The Ghostly Ones
Clodia chapter 1 . 1/5/2010
Beautiful and chilling.
michelleforworld-domination chapter 1 . 6/6/2003
chilling, but beautiful at the same time...I absolutely loved it
Cirdan chapter 1 . 1/7/2003
Sheesh, it really didn't show up. I was hoping that hadn't actually eaten the review but was just taking time to update. Grr.

Anyway, I'm very fond of Dior the Friendly Ghost, and I think you did a good job of portraying him and his relationship. The romance is eerie, but I think it's part of exploring any new relationship, and I accepted the romance quite well because I've read too many ghost stories. :b I especially liked the bits at the end about Doriath being a kingdom twice fallen and as a ghost of what she was before. Your language throughout was very poetic. Nice fic. :)
Claudi007 chapter 1 . 1/3/2003
So well done- beautiful and ghostly. I can't think of anything else to say that would give adequate assessment...
Mouse chapter 1 . 1/3/2003
...

Oh.

I'm trying to think of what to say. Ghastly, and chilling in a way unlike anything else I've read. Starkly beautiful lines throughout. One that caught me was: "Some exquisite work of art its creator had loved too much to risk destroying it with the ugliness of a living, sentient soul..."

Not the explanation I would choose for the mysterious Dior the Beautiful, but that's just out of pity for such a uniquely horrifying fate. So morbidly compelling- "he who was born of the seed of a ghost and the womb of a god." I can't stop shivering. And the image evoked by the last passages, about the fading of Doriath and their place there, the boy-death and his queen, in a kingdom already dead- just, captivating. Macabre. Thrilling. Haunting.

Incredible writing.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 1/3/2003
Great. Somehow, I always had that perception of Doriath being a ghostly realm after Melian departed. Of course, the fact that the King was a ghost made it all the more terrible *shivers* Oh, OK.. You made me feel cold there. I cannot find a better interpretation of the tale of Nimloth and Dior as the one you gave here, turning the inconsequent "Dior the Beautiful" into a nightmarish personality. I liked it very much, and, furthermore, Im sure Tolkien would if he was alive, too.
Finch chapter 1 . 1/3/2003
Beautifully written, haunting and mysterious, and you succeed very well in evoking a strong sense of doom. Interesting idea that Dior may have spent part of his childhood in Doriath.

What I don't quite grasp is why these two children could not love. Because their love was doomed, too?